Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· durus
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inducted IG Units: How to use and kit them.

I thought I would add some help on how to set up your Inducted IG troops. For those who don't know I have played IG for years before playing Deamonhunters, so hopefully I can add some experience.

Why add IG to my Grey Knights you ask? Little cheap dudes with heavy weapons.:tongue: One thing that Deamonhunters lack is good long range firepower other than Dreadnoughts. Grey Knights are awesome against other troops, but if we come across a tank heavy army, or an army of Monstrous Creatures (like many new 'Nid armies), we lack tools to do the job.

IG Platoon Equipment: Give every squad, including the Command squad a heavy weapon, and one special weapon. Lasguns suck:(( , the only reason the troops are there is to act as "meat" so you can keep shooting your HW. Because Grey Knights are so good at killing enemy troops, I like to put Lascannons and Missle Launchers as the HW of choice with my IG squads, especially Lascannons. The high strength and low AP of Lascannons is very good against tanks, enemy Termintaors and Monstrous Creatures. Plasma Guns are a perfect add on to these squads, as you get 24" range, and another high strength low AP shot. Many time the Lascannon misses, and the Plasma Gun kills the intended target. You can also give consideration to Autocannons and Grenade Launchers to your squads. I don't like Meltas or Flamers because they are short ranged, and are generally a waste in line squads as you almost never shoot them.

IG Platoon Leadership: Guard are certainly not fearless:( , so you want to give your squads the best leadership available, which generally is 8. The Junior officer in the Command squad has a 12" radius of Leadership. If you pack your squads together, you can use this without adding Veteran Sergeants to your troop squads. I, however, prefer to give each troop squad a Vet Sgt. so that I can place the unit far apart if I like. Spread out squads are great way of splitting enemy forces, triangulating your fire, and not letting them kill all your firepower at once. You do NOT want to let these squads use their base leadership, you are asking for them to run away!

Armoured Fist Squads: Equip the squads the same as you would a Platoon squad and start the unit out of the Chimera in cover. I like the Lascannon, Plasma Gun and Vet Sgt combo; 101 pts. I just use the Chimeras for there own mobile shooting ability, and Improved Comms. Chimeras are a good light tank on there own, and all I usually add for an upgrade is Smoke Launchers. Remember to keep these puppies cheap. I don't bother with any other upgrade other than Improved Comms (for certain applications). This upgrade lets you re-roll one of your reserve rolls per turn. Sad the Callidus didn't come in?:cry: Re-roll it with ICs. If you have a lot of DSing units, or play a lot of Escallation, this is one vehicle upgrade that is worth it.

If you are going to keep the squad in the Chimera, then I would just take one HW, and no special weapon. You can pop the hatch and shoot a HW if you didn't move. The Chimera then counts as open topped however. Chimeras are not good transports to send out tank hunting with a single BS3 Melta-Gun. Use ISTs in a Rhino for that.

Leman Russ Battle Tank: The Leman Russ battle tank is one of the best tanks in 40k. It's S8 AP3, 72" range Ordnance Blast is awesome at killing anything save Terminators. To get one in your Deamonhunter list, you will need two IG Troop Choices, and you can take two Armoured Fist squads, unlike in the IG codex. You can have one of these in your Deamonhunter army, and it takes up a Heavy Support choice.

Again, keeping these cheap is the way to go. I take no upgrades other than smoke, unless I want Improved Comms. I give it a Hull Heavy Bolter and Sponson Heavy Bolters, keeping my tank at 158pts. It is sometimes preferable to shoot the three HBs rather than the Battle Cannon, eg: A marine or two in cover. You have a better chance of killing the two marines with 9 HB shots, rather than shooting the battle cannon.

Sentinals: These mobile HWs are one way to add some long range Fire-Support to your Deamonhunter Army. Again you must have two IG troop choices to take these. You can have a Squad of 1-3 Sentinals per squad, and they take up a Fast Attack choice.

The only way I would equip these is with a Lascannon, and a squad of two or three. Don't add any upgrades period. I also would only add them if I had a lot of other armour around, like a Leman Russ. These are AV10 open-topped vehicles, and can die to bolter fire. If you use them, keep them close to another heavy AV vehicle to draw enemy AT fire.

Rough Riders: To me this is the least attractive IG unit to add to a Deamonhunter army. It is essentially an IG counter-assault squad. They are on horses for crying out loud!!!:wacko: They do a pretty good job at though, and are not expensive. I just don't think Grey Knights need any more CC options, and an Eversor is just about as good as a Unit of Rough-Riders, and more versatile.

If you take these, I would give all of them, except the Vet Sgt, Hunting Lances. These are a one time, one hit wonder, but are fabulous at killing just about anything with I5 or worse. They are great for deep striking Termies. No armour saves allowed, S5, I5 hits. I would give the Veteran Sgt a Power weapon (Cheap for IG) and an upgrade called Honorfica Imperialis. It gives the wearer the statline of an IG Heroic Senior Officer.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to use IG in your Deamonhunter army. ;)

· durus
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sisters have one big disadvatage, range. They are a great short range shooty army, but Grey Knights don't need much short range help, although I love Seraphim squads. What Grey Knights need is long range (48") Lascannon support, that can't be popped with one shot.

· durus
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can add Leman Russes, Sentinals and Rough Riders? They are the only other unit allowed in the codex?

· señor brushman!
1,597 Posts
im not sure if this is in the right place but i was wondering if u could put witch hunter allies and imperial guard allies int eh same daemhunters army. for example, a seraphim squad and some imperial guard units. thx for any answers i get.

· durus
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nope, only one ally at a time. :((

Twould be nice though, imagine.
GandMaster & Grey Knight Termy Retinue
FA Grey Knights
Seraphim
Sisters In Rhinos as troops
IG squads as troops
Leman Russes and Exorcists as Heavy's

Oh the Glory!!!!:

· durus
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you guys think it is worth a Sticky send me a PM, and I'll request it, or if you think there is something to improve it. The Deamonhunter article section is a little sparse.

Cheers!

· Registered
410 Posts
I've got a better idea to use IG with GK: Armored Company with allied GK.

For about 750 points, you can field 3 Leman Russ tanks and a Demolisher.

You won't be able to use Dreadnoughts or a Land Raider (unless it's a dedicated transport) but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.