Librarium Online Forums banner

Infantry only 2000 point semi competitive list

694 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Intrepid 
#1 ·
Hello.

As the title suggests, i fancy a spam army since GW is working towards making everything expensive both price wise and points wise making the spam army seemingly dying...

I was thinking of a WW2 kinda style full company - command squad, 2 full platoons with heavy weapons sections, then support in the form of air strafes.

Feel free to rip it to shreds.

HQ

Lord Creed's squad
Kell
Vox
Plasma gun
Master of Ordance
Sniper rifle

Elites

Marbo XX

Psyker battle squad
4 x extra

Snipers x 10 100

Troops

First Platoon

Platoon command squad
Platoon standard
Vox caster
Plasma guns x 2

1st Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Autocannon

2nd Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Autocannon

3rd Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Autocannon

Heavy Weapon section
Heavy bolters

Heavy Weapon section
Missile launchers

Second Platoon

Platoon command squad
Platoon standard
Vox caster
Plasma guns x 2

1st Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Heavy bolter

2nd Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Heavy bolter

3rd Section
Sniper rifle
Vox caster
Heavy bolter

Heavy Weapon section
Mortars

Heavy Weapon section
Lascannons

Special weapons Squad "One Way"
3 x melta

Catachan Devils
Gunny Sgt Harker
2 x flamers
1 x heavy flamer

Scout Sentinel
Missile launcher

Valkyrie gunship
MRP
Heavy bolters

Valkyrie gunship
MRP
Heavy bolters

Total cost EXACTLY 2000 points.

See less See more
#2 ·
The big issue with infantry spam is the bum rush. Most armies can cross the table, including charges, in two turns. If you don't give the enemy a reason to hold back more than a token scoring unit then you're going to have 1900 points of enemy rampaging through your lines. That's way too much attrition. You won't even be able to set up proper "firebreaks" because your infantry will be packed in so tightly.

The next issue is mobility. Not losing all your scoring units is a good start but, at some point, you'll need to actually advance to new territory.

There are two good ways to address these problems. The first is using outflanking to establish a second front. I see you have Creed... what unit do you plan to outflank with his Tactical Genius? A good-sized blob is the best choice... durable, scoring and able to handle its own leadership. Another popular method is al'Rahem. If you aren't dead-set on infantry only then I recommend a 3- or 4-Chimera mech'Rahem platoon.

The other way is having deepstrikers. Marbo is an excellent start... keep him. Then throw in a Stormtrooper squad or two, both to break something valuable and to give the enemy a reason to split his forces. Outflanking a Sentinel squad is also good; they have big guns and no morale issues.

List nitpicks:

NIGHT FIGHTING! You have got to put a couple searchlights in this list somehow or your first-turn shooting will be gimped half the time. Chimeras for the command squads are the easiest way. At a minimum, give Creed a Chimera. Not only does he get a searchlight and a mini-bunker, he can also measure order LOS from a vehicle hull instead of a small infantry base. If Creed's own squad has no ranged weapons then his ride will (probably) be a low-priority target.

If you aren't using more than a couple vehicles then you should use Russes, not fliers. Russes have the armor to endure an army's worth of shooting. Fliers don't.

If you're playing an infantry-spam IG army then use the Aegis line. I'm not one of those guys who demands that every list always have an Aegis but, here... yeah, just use it. It's a perfect fit for both tactics and fluff.

Your four HWS should have antitank weapons exclusively. It's a waste to use Creed's orders on heavy bolters and mortars. Those are better off in the line squads.

Don't field solo Sentinels...they're too easily killed. I'd either give him a friend or two or else not bother.

Can the Scout Sentinel carry a missile launcher? I recall that and the plasma cannon being Armored Sentinel-only.

Platoon standards are trash unless you are attaching a powerfist Commissar to the squad. That's so expensive, however, that you may as well being a small ally contingent for your CC needs instead. (A Blood Angels assault squad and Reclusiarch is perfect.) Let the PCS have only a heavy weapon or a couple plasma guns... they don't need to be maxed out if they aren't passengers.

You are thinking of using Creed's bayonet-charge order, yes? Then your line squads would be better off with grenade launchers than sniper rifles. (Do not expect to combo the PBS with pinning. So many armies are fearless/stubborn/mech that it's no more than a gimmick.) If precision shots are what you want then issue some plasma pistols. They're discounted for IG and only our characters can have them... every character has the precision-shot rule... fun times. My mech-infantry squads (not Veterans) are at the point where I'll skip a heavy weapon entirely and issue two plasma pistols and a plasma gun. Very effective and who cares if a guy overheats? There's two of them in the squad now!

So to recap, organize your infantry around (behind) an Aegis for your order-buffed gunline. Then add a hefty outflanking element, one large enough that the enemy can't afford to mindlessly bum rush your front lines. Top it off with Marbo, some Stormtroopers and maybe a couple Russes to make him spread out and slow down. Check that you have a couple searchlights and you're good to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.