Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Inferno Pistols counted as Melta Weapons? Their profile (in my WH codex anyway) has them as pistols with the half distance Pen rule (which I normally associate with Melta Weapons) but does not specifically state Melta. This is compounded by none of the Melta Weapons in my WH Codex having the Melta Rule as well!! (Melta in the title is a dead giveaway in this case).

I’ve been assuming that they do, but wondered what other WH players have been doing.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Inferno pistols are basically melta pistols. i believe the 4th edition rulebook was put out after the Witchhunters codex, so the "melta" keyword was probably developed after they had already released the codex. Just assume it's there.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
The only practical difference i can think of off the top of my head is shooting an Avatar. If you tell an eldar player your're wounding his Avatar with an Inferno pistol make sure it's not one of those Forgeworld jobs with the spear, they could take an eye out when it comes flying at you =)

·
Registered
259 Posts
wait...is that the consensus? Avatar's are vulnerable to inferno pistols!?!?!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to bring that up, as I have a 2000pt game against eldar tomorrow in a little friendly tourney, and he fields an avatar. I hate that [email protected]#$%@#^#$%. Figured it was not being true to the spirit of the rules, but hey, if Affe and co. are on board, I'll take it.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Yeah. By RAW they are vulnerable to a weapon that, to all intents and purposes, is a melta weapon, works like a melta weapon, and fluffwise is a melta weapon, even though the Avatar is immune to those.

By RAW.

RAW.

Don't say I didn't warn you when someone jams your Seraphim down your throat. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah I don't think I can do it to the guy. Too clearly a mistake.

Although...

Avatar gets out of bed. "Alriiiight. Still made of magma? check. Still impervious tooooo....flame stuff? check. melty stuff? check. Sisters of battle? uh....uhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAHHHH..noooooooooooooo tooooooooooo hoooooooooooottttttttttt

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Dear lord no, I hope I didn't give the impression I would endorse such a claim as 'true to the spirit of the rules.' That'd be in the 'Terminators don't have Terminator armor' school of dwarf-face.

The Exorcist is one of the best monstrous creature killers in the game, Avatars shouldn't be much of an issue. You can also keep his slow moving butt tied up in combat for many turns with invulnerable sisters if it really comes to it. 10 girls with a book of st lucius don't need too much luck to totally take him out of the game for 3 turns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used the fact that it doesn't say melta on the weapon stats and got way with attacking an avatar with inferno pistols...i totally put my nod in the cosensus of not counting as a melta weapon

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised you didn't get an avatar to the head! That is so totally against the spirit of the game I don't know what could beat it.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised you didn't get an avatar to the head! That is so totally against the spirit of the game I don't know what could beat it.
I'm not surprised. Who's gonna throw an expensive and difficult to assemble model like an Avatar at somebody (especially if it's the FW one(s))? I'd throw a Guardian. Or a Swooping Hawk. Or a Prism Cannon.

Katie D

Oooh, ooh, or a Furioso Dreadnought! Pure metal!

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Guardians just don't have the weight necessary to carry that far :p
And a normal avatar has an advantage of being pointy as well as cheaper than the furioso. That being said, I'm sure most sisters players have an exercist...

Ok, now I know what would beat it - termies not in termi armour - thanks imperialis.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Anyone has that "wargear" book from GW? What does it sau in there under Inferno Pistol? I just looked in the Dark Heresy rulebook, and it does not say anything about melta rule under inferno pistol. However - I always call my IP "melta pistol" when using it... On the other hand - IP has a range of 6, not 12, so maybe it is not a melta pistol afterall, going by the RAW....

:?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting thought Smoke; my only response would be....that pistols are generally half the range of their "rifle" counterpart; yes? at least as far as "imperium" weapons go. In regards to the Avatar situation, I think you have to allow that it's a weapon that [obviously] operates solely on heat, and thus logically can't harm the avatar. eh?

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
*Cough*thomosaflirt*cough*

just kiddin.
Lawls. What silliness.

Anyone has that "wargear" book from GW? What does it sau in there under Inferno Pistol? I just looked in the Dark Heresy rulebook, and it does not say anything about melta rule under inferno pistol. However - I always call my IP "melta pistol" when using it... On the other hand - IP has a range of 6, not 12, so maybe it is not a melta pistol afterall, going by the RAW....

:?
I've always heard that the Wargear book was full of indiscrepancies and mistakes, I wouldn't trust it any further than I coult throw it. Er... given it's size and my muscular physique (ZOMG INTERNET TOUGH GUYZ!!11!!oneone), make that as far as I could throw it with both hands tied behind my back. But still.

Interesting thought Smoke; my only response would be....that pistols are generally half the range of their "rifle" counterpart; yes? at least as far as "imperium" weapons go. In regards to the Avatar situation, I think you have to allow that it's a weapon that [obviously] operates solely on heat, and thus logically can't harm the avatar. eh?
Horsefeathers, Fuhrik. What is this 'logic' you speak of? It has no place in a wargaming rules discussion! 0:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.