Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be playing in a tournament and would like to check/clarify/confirm this:

I'm using Shaeffers Last Chancers - they can Infiltrate or Deep strike in their various sub-units. i'm also using a Command squad and Hardened Vets, and have chosen drop troops as a doctrine.

1) I can deploy my command squads Sentinal as per usual deployment, and have the Command squad and associated Special weapon squads held back to be deep striked.(I'm going with the "may" wording in drop troops.)

2) As one unit - one roll on the reserves chart (as per IG codex) a unit selection (looking at slots on the force organisation chart) All deploy at once (if i roll them arriving - on one dice) e.g. on turn 2 rolling 5+ for reserves with my command squad i can deploy my Command squad and the two attached special weapon squads - I place a model for the 3 different parts, roll scatter for each, then circle the remaining men around the results (if i can).

3) I can choose, come the infiltrators part of deployment if i want to deep strike or infiltrate if the unit has both: I.E. my Hardened vets after normal deployment can choose to deploy on the table with infiltrating, if I wanted to either make a viable infiltrating position safe(denying it from my enemy) or saw a juicy target I wanted to go for (probably in the hope I get turn 1) Or, i choose to keep them in deep strike if there's no juicy targets.

4) I can choose to not deep strike or infiltrate, and set up in the normal deployment step. I.E. as a elite in the elite choice deployment order (continuing with the previously mentioned Hardened vets as a example) - because of the wording "may deploy" on both deep striking & infiltrating. (Brb)

5) I am assuming if i ask my opponent to roll off for who infiltrates first I must place a Infiltrator - It'd seem unsporting not to.

6) If deploying infiltrators - and they're one choice on the force organisation chart I can deploy them all together e.g. a infantry platoon - Junior Officer and 2x squads, all with Light Infantry (read - Infiltrate) are 1x troop choice. If i roll 1st on placing infiltrators can I place 1x squad, (as in a 10 man squad) or all 3? I'm going with all three at the moment as I read it, but have been told that wouldn't happen by one of my opponents.

7) Does this mean with shaeffers sub-units (also details on FAQ, shaeffers section on sub units also has details r.e. them coming in seperately) I can: deploy one sub-unit normally, a second may infiltrate and any others may deep strike? If I included 8+ so it counts as a troop choice can I place one sub-unit down in the troops "turn" in the deployment turn taking? then another in the command "turn"? I'm assuming one in standard deployment (not both troop and command)

8) I can also choose the sub units contents from game to game I.E. on one mission / foe have 4x 1 man squads, and one 4 man squad, then the next have 2x one man squads and 3x 2 man squads (It will make a difference) - as long as I tell my opponent before deployment as per Lt Shaeffer special rules in the IG codex. What is deployment in that context? deployment of the armies, or deployment of the first sub-unit?

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Err...yes?

Much like a guard platoon, you can have some elements infiltrate, another deep strike and yet another deploy normally. The doctrines are applied on a per-unit not per-force org slot basis.

Deployment is exactly what it is - the time you deploy models on the table (as listed in the scenario you're playing).

You're right on all counts. Have faith :happy:.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
I would say mostly right - hardened vets are never gonna hold anything against determined assault, but onthe rules front,
the player that deploys first infiltrates first
be careful of game level, you can not always use infiltrate or deep strike

·
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say mostly right - hardened vets are never gonna hold anything against determined assault, but onthe rules front,
-Oh I know they're terrible at melee, however I set up in no-mans land either denying my opponent from setting up in the same spot (as an armour heavy list I don't like opposing infiltrators) - think of my side armour.
- Or picking a juicy spot e.g. vs a Land Raider (and hoping I get 1st turn).
- Or keep them in deep strike limbo if neither of these is a good choice to worry my opponent.

- Really? I thought we flipped again at the beginning of infiltrators - that's why it's worth asking these things. That's ok with me - a plus to going first if I have to.

- Ah, in this specific tourney it's fixed at mid level (Gamma I think)

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
You dice off/flip a coin for infiltrators (pg 84, BGB).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.