Librarium Online Forums banner

Infiltration

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  stayscrunchyinmilk 
#1 ·
Okay, soo ive tried to use infiltration before but I have a question. When using infiltration, or deep strike that for matter, do you have to tell your opponent that you are doing such?

#2 ·
Yes, you do need to tell your opponent if you are deep striking or infiltrating something(s); especially infiltration as long as the mission you are playing allows for the rule to be used. (Infiltrators are deployed at the end of both players deployment phase, so your opponent needs to know that you have them to set up.)

With deep strike you really only need to say that those units are being held in reserve to come in later, which usually means that they are going to deep strike onto the field one way or another. Again, if the mission you are playing does not allow for that rule to be used than you cannot use it. (Unless your working with drop pods, they have a rule that says they can deep strike even if the mission does not allow deep striking.)

#4 ·
As much as I respect Darkreever, i'm gonna disagree here. The only rule about stating anything is listed about keeping keeping transported units "hidden". In short, after deployment of normal troops, you both roll to see who deploys their first set of infiltrators. As for deepstrike, since they are not deploying, there is no need to say "I have a squad of termies to DS". Just start rolling turn 2 and you're golden.

#5 ·
Hi,
I agree with not having to tell your opponent about deep striking units but surely infiltrators are a bit too obvious to miss if they are deployed after all the others and usually done in a forward manner ahead of your deployment zone?

(There is another rule about compulsory disclosure though and its about whether or not Independent characters are attached or not, but this is just an aside here.)

Thanks.

#6 ·
Tarzen, yes you do not have to tell your opponent that you are using infiltrators or deep striking units; but at the end of deployment, if they don't have any infiltrators you are going to have to say that you do. (Even if you don't say it until that point, your still saying that you have a couple of units or squads that wil be infiltrating.)

Same goes for deep striking units, you don't have to say that they are going to be deep striking in until you start rolling for them to come in, but you are going to have to say that you are deep striking units in at some point. After all, once turn two and beyond rolls around yo do have to indicate in some way what it is your rolling for to come in, in the case of multiple deep striking units. (At least thats how I learned it and have seen people do it.)

Bazooka Tooth, as Tarzen pointed out, you do not have to tell your opponent until the time comes, which is what I forgot to include in my own post before.

#7 ·
At the very least you have to disclose what's in your list. Hopefully your opponent can figure it out when you don't deploy the entire list. Even so, the "I'm not telling you" approach is just plain immature.

Also, if you're playing against someone who's gonna be frazzled by not knowing if your reserve unit is DSing or not, do you really need to press an advantage???
:?

#8 ·
People will change their deployment if they know you have infiltrators. Smart players will make sure to have someone be able to draw LoS to all of the prime infiltrating positions. If they don't know you have infiltrators, they may not think to do it... but if you tell them, they certainly will. Same with deep strikers. If you have a large amount of your force DS'ing, they will probably castle up to avoid you dropping everything on one flank and completely dominating part of their army. If they don't realize it, they may deploy normally instead leaving themselves exposed.

So it's not really an immaturity thing, but more like, "Why should I have to tell my opponent how my army works when the rules don't say I do?" In friendly games, sure why not be up front about it, but in tournament situations, why give out one of your strengths?

#9 ·
generalyl in tourneys you will have to disclose your army list before the game, in friendlies that is prety much common sense.

It is not obligated on you to voulenteer information like "I have 2 squads of termies who will be deep striking"

If your opponent asks, it is pretty much accepted that you will answer, but the response is only "they are in reserve", you dont have to decide that you are deep striking terminators for example, until they come on, the turn they come on you could decide to walk them in from your table edge

#10 ·
Agreed with Cheredanine.

In tourneys it's different than playing at a store or a friend's house.
In friendly games, with freiends or strangers.. I usually say "I have more models that I will initially place."
This tells them that what I place furing deployment isn't all I have.

Is it in reserves to wander onto board edge?
Is it infiltrators?
Is it drop pods?

That specifics I won't go into unless they push the subject. Most give me "the eye" and then nod.

#12 ·
Hi,
I think that the point here is not what is being held back is so much a mystery but what is the exact method they are going to enter the table with.

This knowledge makes a huge difference to the tactics within the game, if you were to “know” that deepstrikers are coming, you become more wary about moving forward leaving your rear unguarded or if you “know” that reserves are simply going to arrive from a table edge you become that bit more fearless when advancing due to the extra distance the enemy has to transverse.

You are usually meant to be clueless about the style of delivery not the content.

Thanks.

#13 ·
I agree... but your opponent doesn't have to say "this is ds'ing" that can be done on the fly after the reserve roll is made.

Anyways, I wouldn't ask my opponent exactly what he is doing with those units. Yes I may be suprised where they do deepstrike on the bored but usually when that reserve roll is made i can see the board as well as I and i pretty much know where they are going to go. It's sort of like chess... a good chess player knows what his opponent's next move is going to be... the trick is to outmanuver him while he sits there knowing that you are outmanuvering him.

I'm just saying that holding units in reserve is great and it gets my sweat going, but not because i don't know where they are going to go...

#14 · (Edited)
- Edited as what i wrote was wrong - I've been reading tourney rules and remembering them as GW standard. Apologies.

After checking thorougly - my view is now that you don't have to declare either. after finishing standard deployment it would be polite to say you have infiltrators, and you're forced to roll for each unit in reserve (deep striking) - giving away how many you have, but that's slots in the organisation chart whether or not it's for example: Junior officer & 5 squads - we all roll to come out of deep strike together on one dice, / or deploy as one choice while infiltrating.
for those with both - say a army with Drop troops, and you gave them light infantry you can decide as you reach the different deployment steps how you want to do it. (see IG FAQ - you can deploy "parts" of a squad seperate if they've got the doctrines
For example:
a Junior officer with 5x squads, drop troops doctrine and Light infantry doctrine (paid for):
you could deploy one squad during normal deployment as a troop choice, then when you get to infiltrate deploy 3 squads - all in the same "placement", then drop the command squad and the last infantry squad on one reserves roll.

I've been practicing with Shaeffers last chancers recently. I have sharpened it into being horrid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.