Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
i just inkwashed my first ever tatical squad. When the ink dried i excpected a really cool result but i didn't get the shade effect... :cry:
i just put an evenly coat of thined out black ink pver the whole mini...
what went wrong???

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Well covering the entire mini with ink is not a good idea - especially on Space Marines. You should only paint the areas that are to be shaded (cracks etc.) and leave the rest unwashed. I actually highlight as well as shade my minis. I use wash/ink first and then highlight when it's dry.

-Rob

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Maybe you should use thinned down ink, in painting tips they always use a 50/50 thinned down black ink. Personally I just thinned down my Chaos Black paint :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
...but i didn't get the shade effect... i just put an evenly coat of thined out black ink pver the whole mini...
what went wrong???
No idea, sounds like a typical use of black ink. I think the miniature should be well shaded. I really do not understand what the problem is.

A critical part of information you have neglected to mention was the base coat. What was the original color of the minis before you gave them an ink wash? I hope they were a dark, neutral color (black over yellow may not look to good).

Ink washes can give a sheen to your minis. The best way to tone it down and 'soften' the color is to drybrush the entire miniature (or along the edges, but a second drybrush of a lighter color would work best for this). The recessed areas will still maintian the wash and keep the dark shading you have applied to the mini.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hrmmm, I do not think giving a black ink wash is going to help much with shading a black undercoat. However, I honestly think giving 2 drybrushes (one being a lighter color than the other) of a grey would really help in bringing out the detail of the figures, and still retain the shading from the ink.

As another note, I usually paint one mini whenever I do a new color scheme. That way, I only have to repaint one if things do not look like well after finishing it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What colour were the Marines gonna end up being? What chapter were they (this is of no import if they are home-grown). Because knowing what the undercoat was is no good. We need to know what the base coat is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So..... the coat of paint you were washing was not black but green... Next time use a green wash of ink. Mixing ink washes over other base coat colors can be very tricky.

Here is the deal with inks, they not only add depth to the cracks and niches of a figure, but they also add some color to the higher points. They add a wonderful amount of color texture to the mini, highlighting raised surfaces while adding color to 'shade' the model.

If you want to just add some color to the miniature to bring out the detail, use a wash of watered down paint. This leaves very little pigment on the raised surfaces of the figure.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ok... listen here...

Inks and washes are just a pain in the ass.
If you can avoid using them... well, don't use em...

As mentioned before, thin out the ink or wash with water, that give it a lighter tone. When I use inks myself, I usually dip my brush in it, whipe it against the "paintpot" and then gently dipping it in water before I paint it on to the models.
Then again, sometimes it goes better to use the pure inks, but not always.

Painting just in the recesses and avoiding the big open flat surfaces is one of the best things you could do get a better contrast between the recessed and raised areas.

But now to you example, painting black ink over a black model!?
Listen, I find this method better(if you absolutely want to use the pure inks on your models).
First get a relatively dark grey colour, like codex grey, and paint this over the entire models... then and only then apply the black ink.
This will leave a quite dark colour on the entire model which then can be further highlighted.
try for example to highlight the model with codex grey mixed with a bit of chaos blacl... until you get a quite dark grey colour.
If you then drybrush this over the entire model, you should get, I say SHOULD, give you a quite good shaded/highlighted model. I tried this with codex gray and fortres gray highlight on the fur of some chaos hounds, and it came out pretty good.
Even after this you could still add more specific highlighted areas, like edges of armour plates and so on...

Hope it helps!

Eztrovia!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the help Dragonslayero, hishamEQ, Odd_Bloke, BorninDarkness, BobaHat.
I'll try to remeber next time, but as I said, my first TacSquad...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Don't worry about that...
Mistakes are to be learned from, besides you always have all of us here at the librarium to help you :D

Gon bai!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I learned that black ink is very hard to use, in order to shade there are lots of better alternatives - it will take away any brightness from the color which it is applied to. I use black ink to darken other inks, nothing else.
For dark angels, a very dark but still greenish ink will do a good job, and rather apply two or three thin coats than one thick one.

If used correctly, inks rock! They smoothen the colors, and can make them brighter. I use them for a red marble theme on my power weapons. Before that i tried purple (because that's the cliché color of evil energy discharges), but it turned out too dark. After some experiments and lots of ruined blades i learned to prime them balck, and then paint the streaks with pure red/magenta ink. Sometimes i mixed a little red gore into the ink. Use "Y" connections between the streaks, avoid "X" crossings and parallel lines....gah..in order to explain it i'll need some pics (not pics of my minis, but of the concept), i'll post these soon - if you're interested.

jwu

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A quite similar tutorial:
http://www.eldaronline.com/paintingtutoria...wavetheme.shtml
It shows impressive effect of inks.

This pic shows the concept of a black primed blade. The pic on top shows how it should look after painting the mai streaks with (almost) pure ink. Don't paint these too thin, avoid X and parallel lines, and use Y ways if you want to spread a streak. You also can (should) outline the contours of the blade, i didn't do this in these pics.

The second pic shows fine detail streaks which are added in the next step. They connect parallel lines which could not be avoided, this way crating a triangle shape instead of parallel lines.

The third pic shows lighter color which was added into the parts which are supposed to be bright. Don't use white, it will be too flashy (IMHO). I used thinned yellow over the originally red streaks. Also apply it to the blade edges which are supposed to glow.

Then apply the pure ink (thinned if purple). Where these pics are still black there will also be a reddish shade, the minis look way better than my drawings.
You also can use this technique for other colors, in this case of course do not paint the streaks with red ink ;)

You'll love the result!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.