Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Trans-Kurani Paradox is an RP that centers around an Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus and his retinue of hand-picked allies who travel to the Trans-Kurani sector to investigate reports of possible cultist activity following the aftermath of the Braun IV Tithe Wars. As anyone within the Inquisition (but not in an Inquisitor's Retinue) will know, the Tithe Wars saw the Chaos Lord Periclitor elevated to the status of Daemon Prince. It is also known by the Inquisition that Periclitor himself had a hand in inciting the Tithe Wars. However, they still continue to this day in some areas of the Sector as the Imperial Guard moves to crush the last pockets of rebellion. The inhabitants of one planet, Zephira, have stubbornly held out against all invaders so far and something is aiding them with powerful weapons and disrupting the Warp currents around the area. Naturally, the Ordo Malleus is the organisation best equipped to deal with this threat.

Character Creation
---------------------
Contrary to what has been done in the past, I am not going to take the role of the Inquisitor. That will be up to one of you. Essentially, I will wait for three or four (possibly more) days or until we have about four or five people, whichever comes first, and then a person will be randomly selected to play the Inquisitor. They will have full control over his/her name, background, alignment (Puritan or Radical), and equipment but they must be from the Ordo Malleus. You can abstain if you wish, you can let me know when you sign up or PM me at any time, and you will be excluded from the random selection process.

Caveat: The Inquisitor will be expected to show Leadership and Initiative in solving the challenges at hand and will essentially be a more demanding character to RP so consider carefully whether you want to take on this role. Remember, your group CAN die.

Characteristics (from 1 to 100):
WS: Weapon Skill. Your ability to wield a melee weapon.
BS: Ballistic Skill. Your ability to equip/fire ranged weapons.
S: Strength. Your raw physical ability.
T: Toughness. Your ability to endure pain as well as debilitating physical effects (like poison)
I: Initiative. Your natural dexterity and quickness.
Wp: Willpower. Your ability to use/resist psychic powers. Generally will only be incredibly relevant if you are a psyker (likely only the Inquisitor).
Sg: Sagacity. A measure of your acquired knowledge, intelligence, and mental dexterity.
Nv: Nerve. Your ability to react appropriately to dangerous situations or keep cool under pressure.
Ld: Leadership. Your level of discipline and ability to follow orders in dangerous situations.

Note that the characteristics are there mainly as a reference point for you when roleplaying so that you make sure your characters do things that are realistic. Also, remember that most of these characteristics are subjective and mainly for use when in stressful or dangerous situations. It wouldn't take much discipline, for example, to follow an order to apprehend a willing suspect and take him for questioning but it would be much harder to follow an order to kill a childhood friend without some kind of internal conflict arising.

Everyone else will be able to select from the following classes:

Adeptus Mechanicus Techpriest
WS: 50+2d10
BS: 55+1d10
S: 35+3d6
T: 50+2d10
I: 60+1d10
Wp: 60+2d10
Sg: 70+2d6
Nv: 55+2d6
Ld: 50+2d10

Rogue Trader
WS: 60+2d10
BS: 55+2d10
S: 50+2d6
T: 50+2d6
I: 55+2d10
Wp: 60+3d10
Sg: 60+3d10
Nv: 75+2d6
Ld: 80+2d6

Fanatic
WS: 60+2d10
BS: 45+2d10
S: 45+2d6
T: 45+2d6
I: 45+2d10
Wp: 50+3d10
Sg: 50+2d10
Nv: 65+2d6
Ld: 50+2d6

Imperial Guard Veteran
WS: 65+2d10
BS: 65+2d10
S: 55+2d6
T: 55+2d6
I: 45+2d10
Wp: 45+3d10
Sg: 45+3d10
Ld: 60+2d6

Desperado
WS: 35+2d10
BS: 60+2d10
S: 50+2d6
T: 50+1d10
Wp: 60+1d10
Sg: 55+2d6
Nv: 70+2d6
Ld: 50+3d6

Adeptus Arbites Enforcer
WS: 65+2d10
BS: 65+2d10
S: 55+2d6
Wp: 60+3d10
Sg: 60+3d10
Nv: 70+2d6
Ld: 70+2d6

Mutant
WS: 50+3d10
BS: 30+2d10
S: 40+4d10
T: 40+4d10
I: 35+2d10
Wp: 35+3d10
Sg: 35+3d10
Nv: 35+3d10
Ld: 35+3d10
Caveat: Mutant players should have a backup character just in case the Inquisitor decides he/she wants to be a Puritanical - Mutants might not be so welcome in such an Inquisitor's retinue.

Eccleisarchy Drill Abbot
WS: 8d10
BS: 6d10
S: 30+3d10
T: 30+3d10
I: 35+2d10
Wp: 50+4d10
Sg: 40+3d10
Nv: 60+3d6
Ld: 50+5d10

Death Cult Assassin
WS: 75+2d10
BS: 50+2d10
S: 60+2d6
I: 80+2d10
Wp: 45+3d10
Sg: 45+3d10
Ld: 30+2d6

Equipment: You may have any conceivable equipment in the Warhammer 40K universe but no Power Weapons, Bolters, Psycannons, or similar equipment. Keep it within reason and use your common sense.

Psychic Powers: Seeing as how these are few and far between, anyone wanting to create a character that has them will have to speak to me. The exceptions to this rule are the Ecclesiarchy Drill Abbots (who cannot have them) and the Inquisitor (who may or may not be a trained psyker).

Character Sheets
-------------------
You may embellish your characters with any level of detail you wish, but the following are necessary:

Name:
Class:
WS:
BS:
S:
T:
I:
Wp:
Sg:
Nv:
Ld:
Equipment:
Description:
Background:

Note that the last two fields can be as descriptive as you want but there is a minimum level of detail required. Please put some thought into this.

Combat
---------
Combat is free-form but remember to stick within the limits of your stats in terms of what you can and cannot do. Some things will be physically impossible but I do encourage you to be creative.

Also, Combat is turn-based to keep the story flowing. All characters, including NPCs, will act in Initiative order. All rolls and decisions will be done by me. If someone does not act in their turn for a long time and does not let me know why they are gone, I will have no choice but to kill them off in the interest of keeping the story flowing. If a dead player later returns and explains to me why they could not tell me in advance why they were absent, I will review their case and, depending on the circumstances, let them miraculously come back to life or let them re-roll a new character (or keep the same stats and choose a different identity). Anyone who lets me know in advance that they won't be able to play will have their character possessed by the Spirit of the DM (tm) and will continue to contribute to the story.

Caveat: There will be NO GOD-MODDING! If there is one thing I cannot stand in free-form RPs, it is god-modding. There is only one character you are responsible for and that is your own. Anyone who indulges in this deplorable practice will have pain administered.

Final Notes
------------
- If you have any questions about the above rules (like what a d10 is) or how they will be implemented, feel free to ask me.

- I understand that, due to their unique station, the Inquisitor is going to be an exception to a lot of the rules regarding character creation. Not only will they have access to powerful weapons and armour but they will also be able to wield psychic powers without question. While this may seem like I'm placing one player above everyone else, please understand that I am constrained by fluff in this case and I do try to make the game more fun and enjoyable for everyone. If it's any consolation, more people are out to kill the Inquisitor than are out to kill you ;)

- Any questions or suggestions should also be put forth. I don't want this thing to die so anything you can think of that would help keep the story flowing would be great.

- Any special characteristic requests, like a Pariah character, should also be forwarded to me.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I'm in NiteRabbit, hope we end up with a low-key inquisitor over one that is very open about who they are and what they can do. Its more fun when you intentionally limit your options like that...8)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in!

My character:

Adeptus Mechnicus Tech Priest Pleacus

+ Stats +
WS: 67
BS: 65
S: 42
T: 62
I: 67
Wp: 71
Sg: 79
Nv: 58
Ld: 56

+ Gear +
- Mechandendrites
- Bionic Senses - Avg
- bionic head (+2 armour), with re-breather mask and two advanced
bionic eyes incorporating a motion tracker, a bio-scanner and range-finder gunsights
- Bionic leg implants - crude
- Bionic sensors - Avg (with the exception of eyes)
- Filtration plugs
- Hunter Servo Skull
- Gun Servo Skull
- Armour: Pleacus is wearing his Holy Robes of the Adeptus Mechanicus, which counts as 2 points of armour everywhere, including his head.

+ Skills +
Force of Will
Nerves of Steel

+ Fluff +

Pleacus (Pronounced phlee-ah-kuss) started his work with the Adeptus Mechanicus repairing and maintaining various forms of Machinery nd sub-systems on Mars. When he was relieved of his duties and advanced to the rank of Tech Priest he began the hunt (as many of his bretheren) for STCs. However, a close brush with the Necrons in 210.M41 made him begin to consider the rantings of Hereticus Extremis adept Corteswain as possibilities. Pleacus' investigation has bought him recent unwanted attention from the Ordos Xenos and Inquisition of late, much to his annoyance.

Few of Pleacus' bionic enhancements were installed due to injury - the only exception being his legs. Pleacus lost them at the young age of 20 STYs (Standard Terran Years) in an accident while aiding in the repairs of the God Machine "Vulcanus". Pleacus was attempting to reconnect Nueral lines in the Holy Machines elbow joints when a Rep request from a Diagnostic Servator caused the Titan to move its' arms. The activity in the elbow caused Pleacus legs to be crushed beyond repair. As soon as he had awoken from the medically induced coma, the young adept began building replacement legs. He had completed them within the week, and had mastered their use in a few hours. These bionic limbs, while crude, still support the venerable Tech Priest to this day. Some have quietly suggested that the Priest is proud of them, and will never replace them.

While Pleacus upholds the Adeptus Mechanicus dictum of purification through the machine, he does not believe that a tech priest should use the machine to boost their physical capacity, but their intellectual capacity. Upon forming this ideal of his own, he decided to create a new visage - a gleaming chromite skull, with two new bionic eyes that would boost his effectiveness in combat. To augment the point, Teach Priest Pleacus has elected to keep much of his natural torso and arms.

Pleacus would prefer to spend his time building or reaserching through the massive librarys of Mars but realises that sometimes blood must be spilled in order to further the cause of knowledge, and as such, Pleacus will never back down from a fight.

Might be total ****e, but whatever, I'm happy to tone him down if need be.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Name: Reiner
Class: Inquisitor
WS: 74
BS: 89
S: 65
T: 70
I: 94
Wp: 90
Sg: 81
Nv: 91
Ld: 83
Equipment: Autogun, single-shot snub nosed bolt pistol, shock whip, and chain blade attachment to the rifle.
Skills: dodge, leader, medic, quickload, rock steady aim. Riener is an untouchable, and therefore cannot take psychic powers.

Description: Blue/green eyes and brown hair of medium length sit atop a face with light tan. Average hieght and build, though more along the tall and heavier side of that build. As far as clothing goes, black boots on top of brownish grey breaches and a tunic of similar colour. From time to time he also wears a black cloak or bodyglove and always wears padding or mesh armour under some of his clothes to keep them concealed. For each powerful daemon his has banished to the warp, there is an electoo on his body for it; only Riener knows how many electoos he has though.

Background: Born in the penal colony Ykk912b, all his life Riener fought to be at the top of everyone, especially the law of the planet. That is until, nineteen years after his birth when something different began to happen, the people began to act differently. A full year after this half the planet commited a mass suicide that plunged the remaining half and the planet itself into comploete chaos. The suicides tore open a hole in reality and daemons manifested from the weakest as they began to roam the world. These daemons, in the beginning weks, took no notice of Riener as he helped those who would follow him for his aid in killing the vile beasts. Though as the daemons began to increase in strength some began to notice him but were unable to do anything about that. It appeared that these creatures actually feared someone, or so it looked like they did.

Five months after the planets desecration, a single ship arrived and ten drop craft spewed from its hull. Contained in them were a company of grey knights led by an ordo malleus inquisitor lord of the sector. Upon their landing they marines cut a bloody path through the vile daemons as they made their way to, what the inquisitor believed to be, an anomoly that they needed to investigate before purging the world. This anomoly turned out to be Riener, fighting daemons in his own fashion and it was when the inquisitor and grey knights arrived did they see him for what he was: a soul gaurd, pariah, or as had been coined by gregor eisenhorn so long ago an untouchable. A human who unlike pyskers, had a negative effect on the warp and warp beings. This man had been fighting the enemies of the imperium, actually helping the people to maintain a shred of sanity that all was not lost, and at such a young age.

The colony was lost to the imperium, fully three-quarters of the world rithed with daemons and only a few hundred of the inhabitants lived. The inquisitor had the grey knights, himself, and Riener extracted from the world where the strike cruiser bombarded the planet until it cracked apart and destroyed itself from within as the outside came out onto the inside. Forty seven years later, Riener is an inquisitor of the ordo malleus and his exploits are as much a secret as every other member of the special ordo. One thing about Riener has arisen of him, it is believed that he saw to the death of the very inquisitor who saved him from a lost world, raised him to be an inquisitor, and aided him when the time came for it by leaving him on a doomed world that was bombarded until it cracked and died. Much like how Riener lost his own world; but again this is only believed and no proof has yet to be brought up of him doing so.

Unlike many of his ordo, Riener has followed the path of subtlety, prefering to blend in with the people befre damning them and keeping his identity a secret. For the badge of the inquisition often closes as many doors as it smashes down.

Never been on to make an inquisitor who didn't have a hard time with most of his cases, so for this game I'm sticking to that and following the course of an Amalathian. So no power armour, or carapace armour for that matter, keep las weapons on the lowdown and higher key on solid slug throwers. No power weapons, and obviously no force weapons.

When it comes to characters, never had to many conflicts with type, just remember that characters like drill abbots will not be happy with mutants at their side but you guys work that out.

(DumbparameciuM, by the time you've gotten this far you'll know your gonna be altering the carapace armour your character is wearing. Otherwise I have no problem with him at all...8))

·
Registered
85 Posts
darkreever said:
(DumbparameciuM, by the time you've gotten this far you'll know your gonna be altering the carapace armour your character is wearing. Otherwise I have no problem with him at all...8))
Yeah, I just sort of figured that out. Worth a shot though, eh?

Also: NiteRabbits intention was to randomly make somebody in the group an inquisitor unless they chose to be another class (such as myself).

Oh, and I can't seem to find any rules for a servo harness/servo arms in the =][= book. very pissed off.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, DM, Darkreever WAS the randomly selected Inquisitor.

What? Didn't you get the memo? :tongue:

Okay, we just need to wait for the others to post their characters. Gentlemen, if you can hear this, then post!

·
LO Zealot
1,692 Posts
Sign me up, I've applied to a fair few RP's, and the only one that ever started kinda died. I hope this one works, and is good.:)

Name: Vet. Sgt. Corran Dann
Class: Inquisitorial Stormtrooper (kind of)
WS:75
BS:74
S:67
T:67
I:67
Wp:73
Sg:76
Nv:77
Ld:75

Equipment: Shotgun with Laser sight and underslung grenade launcher, Autopistol,Carapace Armour(Sorry Darkreever, that's what stormtroopers wear), Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Gas Grenades, Smoke Grenades, Photon Flash Flares, Bionic Eye(Infrared), Bio-Scanner,Grapnel, Respirator, Medi packs.

(I chose most of these from the Necromunda book, as it has alot of equipment and stuff in it, so if you don't want me to have any of this, or there are real Inquisitor rules for certain items (such as the bionic eye) , please let me know)

Description: Corran is a grizzled veteran, with many battle scars that he wears with pride. He is around 36, serving in the Imperium's forces since the age of 16. He has graying black hair, cropped short in typical military fashion and green eyes. He is slightly taller than average, and of stocky, well muslced build.

He wears typical Stormtrooper carapace, blast scorched and battle marked from good use, but rarely wears his helmet.

Background: A veteran of many wars, Corran started off his military days as a raw recruit in the Imperial guard, and slowly worked his way up the ranks until he was condiered for a position within the Inquisition.

He is now a Veteran Sergeant Stormtrooper, and has been rewarded with the honour of serving in an Inquisitor's personal retinue. Corran is a crack soldier, and enjoys employing many methods to bring his enemies down, from distraction to destruction, and uses a wide range of grenades to serve this purpose.

Corran had a wife and kids back on Corvus, his home planet, but he left them behind long ago, and hopes to one day see them again before he meets his fate at the hands of the enemy, as it is a rare thing for a soldier of the Imperium to die of natural causes.

He lost his eye to an enemy sniper, bringing down a rogue faction of traitors during one of the great battles of the Tithe wars. It was replaced with a bionic one by a techpriest, which has served him well in it's ability to see enemies behind cover or concealement.

Corran has served in Inquisitor Reiner's retinue for the last 6 months, replacing a member who was ripped apart by a mutant on a particularly dangerous mission.

--Hope this character is okay.:)

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
For starters nick, leave mention of working as a member of my team out until after i put up Reiners own background. You don't know anything about him, past members or actual past, soa nything you say about him at this point may end up being completly wrong. (Though the little you said is probably nothing in the end so dont worry about changing it, yet...8)) You will be losing the carapace armour, for now. You work for a malleus man, so you wont be going in unprepared.

Gotta say though, 67 for strength and toughness! That means youd have rolled a 12 when rolling for his stats both times.

Your characters fine, with the exception of his armour right now. Only other thing I'd say is that from gaurd to storm trooper all the way down to local law enforcement? Thats three armies of traveling in its own right. (Cause stormtroopers and gaurd are actually seperate organisations that work closely together.)

You'll get the equipement, skills, and background of Riener no later than tommorow.

·
Registered
364 Posts
can i be the Death Cult Assassin but i don't have a d10s so can i getsome help on the d10 neede stats and some of my eq like clothes but I will probably carry all kindas of really sharp blades no guns for me.

Name: Heiro
Class:Death Cult Assassin
WS: 85
BS: 61
S: 66
T: 66
I: 85
Wp: 60
Sg: 58
Nv: 75
Ld: 42
Equipment: Bodyglove, hoodedcloak:ninja: , two long swords,and several smaller throwing blades .

Description:Tall around 6' dark green eyes, short blond hair,if you can see it under the hood, very well muscled, but still quick despite his build.

Background:Has been a member of the death cult on Vegas II( if this can be a planet) until he is taken to be a part of a Inquisitor team. Doesn't talk much to any one use things like nodding head to answer,and things like the Death Cult Assassins in the book Grey Knights, also doesn't follow orders well unless you are the masterof his cult or he has been ordered to follow your orders, for example the =I= ( if this is ok with you Nite)

·
LO Zealot
1,692 Posts
darkreever said:
For starters nick, leave mention of working as a member of my team out until after i put up Reiners own background. You don't know anything about him, past members or actual past, soa nything you say about him at this point may end up being completly wrong. (Though the little you said is probably nothing in the end so dont worry about changing it, yet...8))
Okay, I didn't think it would really matter, as usually inquisitor's retinue's aren't put together from random people on the spot when there's a mission to do, it's usually the Inquisitors hand-picked people who he knows and trusts and has worked with 4 a while. I was just taking a little initiative to tie our backstories in together, that's all.:)

darkreever said:
You will be losing the carapace armour, for now. You work for a malleus man, so you wont be going in unprepared.
I don't really care about it, it's just that that is the standard equipment of an Adeptes Arbites, and it seems strange for an Inqusitor's personal retinue to have worse armour than his buddies out fighting crime on the streets...;)

darkreever said:
Gotta say though, 67 for strength and toughness! That means youd have rolled a 12 when rolling for his stats both times.
Yeah, pretty damn lucky,eh?:)

darkreever said:
Your characters fine, with the exception of his armour right now. Only other thing I'd say is that from gaurd to storm trooper all the way down to local law enforcement? Thats three armies of traveling in its own right. (Cause stormtroopers and gaurd are actually seperate organisations that work closely together.)
Oh, okay, I didn't know that much about Adeptes Arbites fluff, I just thought that Inqusitorial stormtroopers are the best of the best of the best guardsmen, and Adeptes Arbites are another type of IQ Stormtrooper, as they are quite similar, and you can take them instead of IQ Stormies in a witchhunters army. Can you give me an idea of how he would have became a Adeptes Arbites then?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Simple nick, ex-underhiver who sold his skills as a killer/tracker to the highest bidder. Gets enough cash to improve his life, gets help from a 'friend' in the local law and becomes arbites. (killer/tracker becomes officer/detective in that right) It sounds downright like corrput and evil, so throw in that someone ratted out your friend all all the people that followed him save you were killed as traitors, the trauma forced you to make better on your life and bam. Officer with basic fluff...8)

·
LO Zealot
1,692 Posts
darkreever said:
Simple nick, ex-underhiver who sold his skills as a killer/tracker to the highest bidder. Gets enough cash to improve his life, gets help from a 'friend' in the local law and becomes arbites. (killer/tracker becomes officer/detective in that right) It sounds downright like corrput and evil, so throw in that someone ratted out your friend all all the people that followed him save you were killed as traitors, the trauma forced you to make better on your life and bam. Officer with basic fluff...8)
Hmmm... I kind of ment more like how does someone become an Adeptes Arbites, I'd prefer to think up my own fluff, but thanks anyway.

So how does someone become an Adeptes Arbites?

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Hi Have you space for one more? If so here I am.
Name: Theobold Ghent
Class:Imperial Guardsman
WS:68
BS:76
S:60
T:65
I:63
Wp:71
Sg:56
Nv:70
Ld:67
Equipment: Melta gun. Flak jacket. Collection of ears Knife basic survival gear (camping stuff rations etc)
Description: (36) Average height average built surprisingly few scars considering the amount of combat he has seen (20yrs+). The only thing that marks him out as different is the dead look in his eyes.
Background: Joined the Imperial army when he was 16 he has fought for 20 years. During the infamous Thorn campaign he was one of only two survivors of his company. The inquisition has recognised his ample combat potential. Outside of combat this man can only be described as Socially Retarded inside combat he becomes a courageous model soldier efficient and deadly.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I just reread your background Dr Nick and some of the details are quite similar such as age we joined the army. I was thinking we could tie it in further we joined the army together and we were the last two surviors of our company during the Thorn Campaign. You are less deranged than me clearly but I don't know could be good?

If so then I will change my age to 36.

·
LO Zealot
1,692 Posts
Berny Mac said:
I just reread your background Dr Nick and some of the details are quite similar such as age we joined the army. I was thinking we could tie it in further we joined the army together and we were the last two surviors of our company during the Thorn Campaign. You are less deranged than me clearly but I don't know could be good?

If so then I will change my age to 36.
Sounds good. My character has been in a fair few wars, so I don't see why not.

It's fun to tie characters backgrounds in with each other, it makes for good roleplaying too.

EDIT: By the way, just thoguht of something cool, seeing as I have all those grenades, I might as well have an underslung grenade launcher on my shotgun. Not like a big arse grenade laucher a guardsmen carries around, but a compact single shot launcher that I can launch my plethora of grenades from, like the one under American M16/m4 carbines.

No, this isn't about making a more combatty character, it's for uses like this:

'Say we're walking along some open ground on a battlefield that's just had a big battle, and there are some scattered remnants of the enemy left, so the Inquisitor and his team agree to take care of them, plus Reiner wants to interrogate one of them to see what he can find out.

Suddenly, we come under fire from an enemy sniper, and are pinned down behind cover. Thinking quickly, I load a smoke grenade into the underslung laucher, and fire it out to our left, near a forest. It smokes up, creating a hazy screen in which the Inqusitor, the Techpriest and the Assasin can run through to get to the forest, while the IG vet and I draw fire from the right, by running and firing at the sniper until we reach a trench about 10 metres away.

The IQ and his group can now flank the sniper through the forest, while he is distracted with me and my fellow IG vet.'

I just thought I'd give an example for justification. So, if there's no objection from Darkreever, or the Gm, I'll ad it to my equipment.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Cool, We should come up with a description of the Thorn campaign, something terrifying though I went mad because of it.

I am thinking Tyranids or Deamons.

Realised that I am a bit lacking on basic equipment that i should have, thus, 1 laspistol x6 frag grenades x1 Helmet (basic) Also my Melta gun is called the purifier I am obsessed with it. In fact I think it has a mind of its own its own.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts