Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I played a game with a good marine player and a question came up with multi-wounded squads and instant death.

Here is what happend:
I had a squad of nobz, one of which has 1 wound on him. He shoots some krack missiles at them, and one of them got through and caused a wound, I failed my inv save.

I started to take the model with the wound already on him but the marine player says no, you have to take a diffrent model because it was instant death. But in doing that you will be spliting wounds. Because you have to cause a wound to a model inorder to use the instant death rule.

Get what I'm asking? Which one of us is right?

Do you take out another model because it was instant death? Or do you put that wound on the model that already has a wound?

If you need me to clearify it more I will do my best to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
this is clarified somewhere in the rulebook i remember reading it specifically...he is right, you need to give the instant death to a model that isnt wounded as far as i can remember...it is written there somewhere so have another look

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
It's not in the rulebook, it's in the Warhammer World FAQ, and frankly I think they're totally off base with it and don't know why they said such a thing.

All the real rule said is you have to remove a whole model where possible. You in no way avoid removing a model by putting the instant death causing wound on an already wounded model. The rule says remove entire models, it doesn't say you have to unnecessarily maximize the number of net wounds the squad takes while doing so.

I have seen arguments made by defining "whole model" as "unwounded model" but that simply isn't in the rule book.

All that said, a lot of people do play by the WarhammerWorld/GT FAQ even when it says silly things =)

·
Registered
105 Posts
BRB p27

There's nothing there that specifies the selection of which model saves against an insta-death weapon.
A parallel would be a insta-death weapon hitting a unit with equal toughness and saves but a team leader with multiple wounds. As the owner of the unit, you choose which model saves versus which wounds (barring ToF of course)

I disagree with the Marine player. The insta-death kills a model regardless of # of wounds, and you select the model. Likewise, he can't force you to remove the model in the front instead of the one at the back, or w/e. If anything, the rulebook clearly states that once you start wounding a model, you have to finish it off before you move on the the next, and says nothing at all about any other type of wounding priority (once again, barring ToF and LoS/range etc..)

And the 'whole model is a model without any wounds' argument is childish and not in the spirit of the rules nor is it sportsman like.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The Instant Death is resolved after a model takes a wound. So a models get the wound, and then, "Oh no, Instant Death...".

It seems to be a common misconception, but the Insta-killin' weapon still only inflicts one wound. So tell your buddy that the Krak missile is not dealing two wounds, and therefore he's way off base.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't seem to find my rule book at the moment *freaks out!:0*

So the marine player was wroung?

Or is it really in the rule book FAQ? If the marine player was right and if it is in the FAQ then it is argueing agains the rules in the rule book just like you guys said.

I'll ask him to show me where he found it when I see him again.

Thanks for the replys.8Y

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
The marine player was wrong.
Instant Death causes a wound as normal, even if a model only has one wound. And, unless he managed a torrent of fire, casualty removal is entirely up to you (with the exception of part of a squad being in los, i.e. exarchs etc and of course torrent of fire.).

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Can't seem to find my rule book at the moment *freaks out!:0*
So the marine player was wroung?
Or is it really in the rule book FAQ? If the marine player was right and if it is in the FAQ then it is argueing agains the rules in the rule book just like you guys said.
I'll ask him to show me where he found it when I see him again.
Thanks for the replys.8Y
I apologize for causing confusion. I was not referring to the RuleBook FAQ. The Warhammer World FAQ is the house rules used at, obviously, Warhammer World, which is GW's big venue in the UK where they host official events. It is by not an 'official rules' document, but since it is the house rules for 'officially hosted GW events' a lot of people consider it good-as-rules.

There are many items in it that are out-right changes, overriding the real rules, in order to expedite play and minimize the potential for disputes that require a judge to come over.

You can find this mythical beast here:

Warhammer World | Fantasy Wargaming at the Heart of The Hobby: Latest 40K House Rules Document Online

Their ruling on the instant death issue is around the middle of page 3.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
And, unless he managed a torrent of fire,
Actually, unless all of the shots under a "Torrent of Fire" caused Instant Death, the opponent could not force you to make a save versus an Insta-kill weapon on a certain model.

Remember, a Torrent of Fire allows the shooting player to elect one model to make a save, but the owning player still gets to pick which shot that models saves against.

Reactions: tarzen

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
True, forgot to put that in. That's what I get for replying at work, lol. Still, the point stands that under torrent the oponent gets to chose the model. Man I love it when I manage to get torrent with my reapers or dragons, ah, good times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.