Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a unit I designed for a step-up into a 2000 point list for my Alpha Legion.

20 Chosen
MoCU, Infiltrate
6 Plasmaguns
3 Aspiring Champions
--Powerfist, Bolt Pistol
--Daemon Mutation
--Spiky Bits
1 Chaos Sorceror
--Mass Mutation

615 Points

I understand the point cost is extremely heavy, but in a game of 2000 points, it will be well supported with a huge flank of Cultists, artillery, and Raptor first turn assault. I think this unit has the resilience to handle anything aside from massed Assault Cannons or a good Ordnance shot. The key to the army is going to be in striking the heart of the enemy first, namely, the core units of their army. They Infiltrate, so are dangerously close, and if I deploy into cover, they have a born defense in case I don't go first. I don't suspect any enemy endevoring to get into combat with 3 Champions besides, say, Space Wolves :D. The 6 Plasmaguns also put me in a firepower advantage as well. They have reach on any unit I want to tag in the first turn (Land Speeders/Transports/Monstrous Creatures).

The point of them is to quickly eliminate the enemy units that are most heavily relied on, so that I force the opponent to play the game my way. After he loses some key units right away, he'll struggle to keep up with me. In the past I've had huge trouble in prolonged conflict, since nothing seperates Alpha Legion from Black Legion defensively. First strike is what it's all about.

I'm considering removing Spiky Bits.. seems like an overhaul. I thought about splitting this unit up into 3 Chaos Marine units, but seperate they lack strength in numbers and can be selectively destroyed if I lose first turn. Plus, 20 Chosen is a huge psychological unit, especially with 3 Powerfist-wielding Champions. :D

Thoughts?

·
389 Posts
You knew this was gonna come: I have never experienced a unit so expensive actually earning their points back. ;)

My take on chosen is that you have to make something out of them that regular marines cannot be. If you play chosen just like regular marines you are getting just that... a regular marine... but at a higher point cost. For the points you pay you could have something like three full squads of marines with two plasmas and a champ each, and still had points to spare.

If I were to make a 600 point unit of chosen to put the fear of chaos into anyone I would probably go with less men, but more elite, and certainly faster. Be they mounted on bikes or flying or similar. How about a group of flying chosen with some p-weapons and fists thrown in for good measure, maybe even a daemon icon with some nasty daemons? That should prove quite scary to most armies... and quite a bit harder to avoid.

Or how about a bike mounted squad? Give them daemon icon with a group of mounted daemonettes. First round you turbo boost towards the enemy. Next round summon daemonettes and have them and the bikers assault different units. Nasty.

I have used a squad of 5 Khorne Aspiring champions mounted on juggernauts of khorne, and with a bunch of upgrades. They cost me 500 points, but anything within charging distance was dead :yes:

Sure, they had "only" 10 wounds, but they all had invulnerable save, feel no pain, T5 etc. etc. I am not sure they ever earned their points back, but my mates deathcompany will never again feel sure they are the supreme cc unit on the table :w00t:

Arizzar

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
It is a huge unit you've got there Blackhat, and I like it.
One thing i don't really get though is why have plasmas in sucha a close combat oriented unit which you intend to assault with as soon as possible? If you shoot you cannot assault and if you don't shoot youv'e practically wasted X points that could have given you three Power Weapon-wielding champs.
I think spiky bits are good, but are they better then another fist?

Those guy's will make your oponent scream though. Infiltrating them will crush any plans he might have had during deployment.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Again agreeing with Andy, if your going to tool a unit to go into CC then you should be bringing melta guns instead of plasma guns so that you can shoot the turn you charge. Also 6 melta guns give the unit some serious tank hunting options as well as versatile CC option with the power fists. I'm strongly opposed to field all that in 1 squad... mainly as that's a really nice ordinance target. aim for the middle guy and your still going to blast 4 good marines to pieces.

For the same cost i'd prefer 1 unit of inflitrating havocs and 1 CC oriented CSM squad led by aspiring champ and a chaos lt

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured I would get my Plasma bits in in the first and second turn. By then they should have accomplished what I bought 6 Plasmaguns for... (Land Speeders and Transports) After that, I thought I would take casualties on the Plasma Marines, or just choose not to fire them in the shooting phase. I can still move the unit every turn. It's just that if I'm within 6" for charging in the same turn, I'll probably choose not to fire the Plasmaguns and opt for a charge instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts