Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new guardsman, I'm in the process of assembling my first tank, the Leman Russ and want to make maximum use out of the accessory sprue.

My thinking was I could make the vehicle upgrades as detachable pieces for the tank. I'm going to use my pin drill to put short lengths of paperclip rods coming out the bottom of the attachments. Then the tank will have holes which the pieces can slot into. When the upgrade is not in use I can put a small bag or bedroll into the hole to cover it up. (or just leave them there because you probably won't see them when it is painted up.

Hopefully you can understand that!

I'm having trouble finding a layout for some of the pieces so they don't crash into each other when the turret is turned etc. (particularly the Missile).

Has anyone tried this interchangeable pinning approach before? Would you recommend it? Any foreseeable problems?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It seems like a good idea, but theres not that many good upgrades that I'd want to interchange. And those ones that I'd want, I'd keep on no matter the points cost.:yes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that might be the case.

I haven't played many games and haven't really used many of the upgrades in battle.
Which are 'vital' that you'd recommend I put on as permanent ones?

(on the other hand, which ones are pretty much useless? - so I can forget about trying to make those ones interchangeable!)

·
646 Posts
To be honest, nougat - there are very few upgrades it is worthwhile putting on a Russ.
Sometimes I will put extra armour on, very occasionaly smoke launchers - if I have the pts left over, and the only other upgrade I would even consider would be Improved comms, which can quite easily be attached with blu-tac.

Another option you might want to look at is using magnets. I havn't got the URL's on me now - but there are many companies that sell packs of small magnets for just a few £/$, buy some thin enough magnets and it might not even require conversion.

I'll try and find the URLs when I get home.
You should even be able to paint over the magnet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that sucks if there are none worthwhile!!!
I like the idea of the missile being able to kill tanks before they really get going, but with BS3 it probably won't even hit! It seems quite a lot of pts for a one hit (or miss) shot which will then probably one shake the crew or something lame like that.

I've heard about this magnet technique, but haven't tried it. I'd probably get them all wrong and have pieces automatically snap to odd angles and flip over backwards the way magnets can behave sometimes.

Back to the original idea... I was thinking of making up both turret hatches (old one from the tank sprue and new one from accessory sprue) so I could have a pintle heavy stubber or a pintle storm bolter which can be just slotted in and out. [only need to make a pintle mount out of some spare piece of anything] .. Same question though, is it really worth it? or gamewise is one far superior than the other? I was leaning towards the stubber because it gets more shots. In reality I'll probably make both hatchs anyway since it is so easy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
nougat said:
Which are 'vital' that you'd recommend I put on as permanent ones?
Of course. Smoke launchers are pretty useful, extra armour is good and the heavy stubbers nice.... After all, you don't really want to spend too much on your tanks.

·
646 Posts
Personaly I wouldn't recomend anything permanant, apart from on your Chimeras.
If you want to use your Chimeras to transport men, extra armour and smoke launchers are a must for me. It means that there are only 2 results on the damage dice that are stopping that tank: imobilised and destroyed.

On Russes, few upgrades are working. Smoke launchers make it give up a shooting phase, extra armour can be good but rarley comes into play, and a set of improved comms can be handy if you play scenarios (you generaly have a 1/3 chance of getting escelating engagment).

The pinitile stubber is ok. But IMO, it simply isn't worth 12pts. But if you want to give a Hellhound or a fire support Chimera some extra dakka, it can be a good investment. Personaly I would never put it on a Russ, or a Chimera that intends to move troops.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I normally put a Pintle Stubber and Rough Terrain Mod. I put the stubber on so that even if the Cannon is destroyed, I still have 4 weapons (with sponsons) left, and I ca move it around. And since there is generally alot of area terrain where I play, I put RTM on, because getting stuck in som out-of-the-way forest with no LoS sucks bigtime.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
It's custom to have Rough Terrain Mods etc on your russ, but you don't have to have them listed for points.

All I have extra on my Russes is Smoke.

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
My russes have track guards, smoke launchers, rough terrain mod, heavy stubbers, improved comms and one of two more minor things that I never pay the points for. People online have told me that it might get me into trouble with WYSIWYG fanatics, but after almost a year in the hobby I still haven't heard any complaints.

Personally, my guideline in WYSIWYG is that if you wish to use a upgrade it should be modeled, but if you don't want to use it then it doesn't matter if it's modeled or not. Nobody can force you into purchasing an upgrade just because it's modeled. Especially not if the modeled upgrade makes your tanks look better. Feel free to tool up your tanks modelwise, if anyone complains then just tell him to find someone else to play against.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was only talking about the small items from the Vehicle Accessory Sprue, which can be bought as Vehicle Upgrades from the Armoury section. eg, Smoke lauchers, the missile, comms, pintle weapons, track guards etc
(I might use the track guards to represent extra armour)

Before I bought the tank I wanted to make the sponsons interchangeable too, but realised that it would be difficult to do well and figured that HBolters are good sponson weapons anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts