Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love the idea of a highly mobile harassing unit especially in engagements where they are expecting you to be the only one who loses models on your slow walk through the rain of shooting phases before close combat starts. it seems (from my brief reading of forum posts) that most people run either MoK and flails or no mark/MoS and throwing spears. what i am thinking of doing is running them with flails and throwing axes (and possibly light armor), but no marks, taking advantage of flails giving you the bonus strength in the first round regardless of if you charge and throwing axes always being able to stand and shoot (and march and shoot). i fully expect them to die, but with i4 they should be able to get a round of attacks off and against many enemies the horses will be able to get their attacks off as well. in a typical battle i see a unit of 5 of them getting off 10 s4 bs 2 attacks -1 the first time from move and shoot -1 the second from stand and shoot and 5 s5 ws4 attacks as well as a posiblility of 5 s3 ws3 attacks (assuming i engage a melee unit with them). which works out cheaper than having 5 with MoK and flails for similar damage and slightly more expensive than throwing spears for more damage in their role. (i haven't done math-hammer on this or anything just assuming 10 bs2 s4 attacks are slightly less but comparable to 5 ws4 s5). the main reasons i am looking into this is i would like the option of having one unit in my army that doesn't have a per unit cost associated with them(marks/command) so i can feel free to run smaller units of something other than war-hounds without feeling like im not getting the most bang for my buck, and because i don't want all my damaging units to be subject to frenzy especially ones with L7 who are almost always out of the generals range (stumbling forward 2-3" because you failed a charge that you needed 2 6's for kinda kills the whole fast Calvary/vanguard feeling). Even with spending as much on unique model upgrades as possible while maintaining fast calv they are only 1 point/model more than the chaos warriors i run without any of the overhead that they have (they are equal if i don't take light armor)

·
Registered
484 Posts
when i use them i run em MoS and flails. with MoK you cant feign retreat, and thats a big deal with horsemen. with MoS you can keep them together alittle better and still flee when you need to.

i wouldnt spend the points on throwing axes or throwing spears. the range is so short that theyre really only defensive weapons. when marauder horsemen get charged there are two possible outcomes. either you planned to be charged so you could misdirect an enemy or whatever is charging you will catch you if you flee and a few axes at a terrible BS isnt going to leave a noticeable mark. save yourself the points i say.

the other option is the new hellstriders, but ive never used them and ive not been paying enough attention to reviews of them to really say much other than i like the concept.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.