Librarium Online Forums banner

do you think there will be an Iron hands/ cult of mechanicus codex in the future?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a lot of people have been wondering what codex's will be coming out in the future. many people speculate Necrons and dark Eldar as much needed revisions. some people also speculate that it is peculiar how iron hands was the only founding chapter in the SM codex with nothing special leading some to believe that they may be part of an upcoming codex in the future. i myself being an Iron hands player am ecstatic just at the thought of my own codex or one that is a cult of mechanicus/ iron hands:console:.

tell me what you think, is it just hopeless dreams or do you think there is a possibility for an Iron Hands codex.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only issue i would have with another founding chapter specific codex is that it takes GW way too long to produce them. If you were to include every one of them, you might as well rename Warhammer:40k to Warhammer: Space marines. As for Narrative & Strategic differences: I don't know a lot about the Iron hand, but it could make for something interesting.

Its been thrown around here and there, but i think a better idea would be to have a core "Codex: Astartes". With a working core to build variant chapters, then add a PDF style supplements online for all the founding legions. The same could be made for the Mechanicus , Imperial Guards, Xenos , Chaos or how ever you want to divided them up. Keep the core book for tourneys and the Updates for fun . That way you get something semi-legit for friendly games, without having to wait 10 years for an update.

Speaking of which, You could try to see if Forge world's got something for the Iron hand. But something directly from GW ,i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you. To answer your question, its very doubtful that the Iron Hand would be made at any point in the future. Your best hope is to work with the "Rule development" Sub forum, and build something your self that you could use.

·
Registered
260 Posts
GW already have enough problems with existing armies that, already have a codex, need updates, but don't have enough sales volume to justify either publishing a new codex or the investment it takes to produce a new line of models that won't be backed by a solid sales volume.

So, no, we won't see an Iron Hands codex.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i feel like this maybe some kind of distant possibility but they are sort of unpopular. but thats not for lack of kool fluff its like you said they have no special chacrcters or units. if they are planning on making i feel like its years off good luck tho : D

·
Registered
495 Posts
Back quite a few years ago I could have seen them putting out an optional codex/supplement through White Dwarf. These days, WD is more about selling product than enhancing/stretching the hobby. It would be awesome to have AdMech running around, even if it was to just supplement other forces. Not in the near future though.

·
2,076 Posts
But how would Iron Hands differ so massivley from what you could do in codex?

Terminator Sergents leading tactical Squads?
Captain with access to servo weapons?

Bionics on Marines?

Anything else?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my thought is that if they were to do an Iron Hands codex they could put in a lot of different stuff. they could add in the old rules that they had in 4th edition as well as putting in some special characters that use servo tech. they could even have upgrades for vehicles that would allow them to try and repair themselves. i was even thinking about having Guardsmen like mechanicus followers to be a weaker troop choice. if they were to make this codex, like all codex's it would need that one really expensive game winning model and i think it would be sweet to have some sort of lesser titan.

basically an Iron hands Army needs lots of vehicles, lots of repairing, terminators, dreadnoughts and servo stuff. although it can be done with the SM codex it isn't done efficiently and i feel like the rules in it don't make it as fun or playable as it could be.

don't get me wrong i don't play to win (in fact i lose a lot) i just want a truly themed army but its difficult when it seems that my style isn't really represented as well as it could in the SM codex. more than anything i wan an Iron hands specific special character...

·
i will stay and fight
172 Posts
With a little imagination you could pull a really convincing IH list from the SM codex. Nothing but Forgemasters for an HQ, make the vehicles really cyborg in nature(like bikes with integrated riders), any heavy weapons or assault weapons could be plugged directly into a brother-marines arm or torso, shit-tons of dreadnoughts. Hell you could convert some brother-marines to be counts-as LOTD and just have them be an elite implacable group of veterans. Grab some assault marines and cut off their lower limbs and give them tentacley appendages instead of legs. Hey you could even take the Necron codex and make some SM that count-as Necrons. You don't necessarily need a codex to get the job done :)

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
With a little imagination you could pull a really convincing IH list from the SM codex. Nothing but Forgemasters for an HQ, make the vehicles really cyborg in nature(like bikes with integrated riders), any heavy weapons or assault weapons could be plugged directly into a brother-marines arm or torso, shit-tons of dreadnoughts. Hell you could convert some brother-marines to be counts-as LOTD and just have them be an elite implacable group of veterans. Grab some assault marines and cut off their lower limbs and give them tentacley appendages instead of legs. Hey you could even take the Necron codex and make some SM that count-as Necrons. You don't necessarily need a codex to get the job done :)

Sealancer is correct, and now that he has opened up the thought on this I think I will be doing some converting in the near future...

In my opinion they will never have an Iron Hands codex...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think the best way to offer the different styles of various Chapters is not to include special characters, but Chapter specific Masters / Captains who act much the same (replacing Combat Tactics with Chapter Tactics). In this way, a much greater variety of Chapters could be represented without needing to rely upon a specific character and his wargear & other special rules.

This might actually be a worthy home-brew endeavor, to release a .pdf supplement for friendly casual games, since GW would never do it.

·
905 Posts
Iron hands are my favorite chapter, so let me say, "I WISH!" but knowing GW and the fact that they're not the most popular chapter in the world (see Ultra marines or smurfs in your dictionary, I mean codex.) Ain't gonna happen. Great exapmle of low popularity is the fact there's only around 4 photos of Iron Hands in the new dex.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
my thought is that if they were to do an Iron Hands codex they could put in a lot of different stuff. they could add in the old rules that they had in 4th edition as well as putting in some special characters that use servo tech. they could even have upgrades for vehicles that would allow them to try and repair themselves. i was even thinking about having Guardsmen like mechanicus followers to be a weaker troop choice. if they were to make this codex, like all codex's it would need that one really expensive game winning model and i think it would be sweet to have some sort of lesser titan.
SM Rhinos can already repair themselves to a certain extent.
Guard-like followers? Don't see it happening, although they might be able to take lots of servitors I suppose.
"Expensive game winning model" seems to be, quite sensibly, what GW are trying to avoid. Oh and we have lesser Titans, they're called Dreadnaughts :p I don't see anything bigger joining regular 40k.
don't get me wrong i don't play to win (in fact i lose a lot) i just want a truly themed army but its difficult when it seems that my style isn't really represented as well as it could in the SM codex. more than anything i wan an Iron hands specific special character...
As long as the rules are the same, you can model your guys to be as mech-ed up as you like.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Here's a follow up to my previous post. Something which I think would be awesome to write up for each chapter, as I said, as a home-brew supplement. This is generally the layout I thought of as I made my previous post. Note, the points costs were arbitrarily decided, and the trait/divergences might not quite be the best choices... but it serves to explain the idea.

A single Chapter Master may be upgraded to an Iron Hand's Chapter Master for +50 points.
Chapter Tactics: Replace Combat Tactics with the Iron Hand's chapter trait and all three chapter divergences.

OR

A single Captain may be upgraded to an Iron Hand's Company Captain for +25 points.
Company Tactics: Replace Combat Tactics with the Iron Hand's chapter trait and one chapter divergence.

Chapter Trait: Any army that includes an Iron Hands Chapter Master or Company Captain may upgrade any unit with a toughness (T) score to have bionics for +5 points per model, providing a 5+ invulnerable save.

Chapter Divergences:
  • Any infantry unit in power armour (not jump infantry or bikes) may upgrade one model in the unit to a Tech Marine for +50 points.
  • Dreadnoughts (not Venerable or Iron Clad) purchased as Elites choices may be purchased in units of 1-3. All dreadnoughts in the same unit must be identically equipped.
  • All non-walker vehicles in the army list gain the repair special rule (described on page 76.) Rhinos, which already have the special rule, repair on a dice roll of '5'+ instead of the usual '6'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as someone who has played iron hands for years i would hope to god they would make one or just add in special rules to the normal codex. i actually still have one of the old iron father models so me and my buddies play it as an hq for 200 pts that is a master of the forge with the two chaplain special rules and the 5 ws of a chaplain. and actully i forget which edition it was but you could use the space wolves primarch they released the basic stats for all primarchs. and i have been trying to find a fair way to play ferrus manus but not many people agree to play with him. wow what a digression but any way i would love to see iron hands special rules in the normal codex (which is a long shot let alone their own codex) but i doubt it will happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts