Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome, I'd like to first introduce myself a little. I'm a student and a fan of the Warhammer 40k universe. I was always amazed by stories of the space marines, be it in the games or the lexicanum or books (havent read almost none though, yet).
We're playing an RPG from the 40k universe and we've chosen to be Iron Hands (because we couldn't agree on whom to choose). A few games passed and I've decided to buy a tactical marine squad to represent ourselves in the RPG. I'm trying to learn step by step, so I try new stuff each time, when I do a new figure. Due to that, there is still a lack of for example a well done base. I'll be attending to that on the next ones.
To this day I have 4 marines (1 of which doesn't have his weapon yet, because of my sluggish assembly). Next up are the sergeant and a marine with a rocket launcher.
Anyway, to the point of this thread. Since I just started painting, there are many things which need to be improved. On the next models I'll also start thinning the paint. I believe, it'll do quite a difference. Now for the questions.
I'd like to ask you skilled painters or Iron hands fans, how can I liven them up?
Any suggestions for the Iron Father/Chaplain? I'd like to make one, but I'm not quite sure how.
A bit of a fluff question - when a marine gets his power armour, implants and is promoted to a full fledged battlebrother, as an Iron hand, does he have any visible bionics except the iron hand itself?
I heard something about a sealing spray which is supposed to keep the colors on the figures for longer periods of time. Is it really needed? Do you have any problems with the colors fading too soon?
Has anyone tried painting something really small with his hair ? (the text on the purity seals for example)
I'm having problems with painting circles. Do you guys have some kinda trick to make it easier? Or is it just training?
What's the best way to remove an arm? :D
Any ideas on how to make unique bionics ?

In the attachments there are some not so good pics (the machine spirits of the new device were not listening to me).

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
As to the question of removing an arm.. what I found works best is to figure how you wish to attach the arm.. I choose to magnetize my SM. This allows for weapon swapping.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the paint flaking - If they're all plastic minis then the paint stays on them a lot better than the metal ones in my experience. Even so, I would try to get used to handling them by the bases as much as possible and not the model itself. If you carry them to games, wrap them them up in something soft. Don't worry about the colours fading, this shouldn't happen unless you leave them standing in very bright sunshine.

Have fun with your RPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to protect them in paper and a box, but dunno how well that's gonna work in larger numbers. I guess I should pay more attention to those bases, I like to hold em in a different way.
Thanks :) we're only scouts now, but we'll work our way up the ranks!

As to the arm removal, I'm thinking more about a glued together model, so something lice a scalpel. Was just wondering if there are more methods for it.

·
(Un)Official LO Map Maker
831 Posts
Iron Hands, I love these mechanical rascals!

There were models for them, you could get a box of 10 with Iron Hands parts to convert, and there was a model for an Iron Father or whatever he's called. GW site is currently down for maintenance, but I'll take a look when I can for you and see if they're still for sale. Hopefully the models can give you some ideas on how to make further conversions.

Well, for someone who just started painting, you're already doing great. Painting is an acquired skill, nobody can just pick up a brush and be amazing at it. Every model you paint will make you a little better at it. So things like circles? Just take it slow. You could "dot out" a rough circle as a guide to give you better control over how big it will be. Simply go over any mistakes. And thinning your paints slightly is always good.

When an Iron Hand is created, only his left hand is replaced as a symbol of respect for their Primarch Ferrus and as a symbol to create unity in the Iron Hand ranks. When more of the space marine is made into machine, sometimes it is from battle damage and it has to be done, but I do recall reading some fluff where they replace body parts without requiring it, and they ritually scar bare flesh. Showing that on your models would be cool!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those parts would certainly be very helpful. Hope I can make or adjust some parts of my own later on.
I'm always amazed when I see pro painters painting. Their colors have such great depth. Their brushes' tip doesn't bend.
I'll be looking into battle damage as soon as I get my hands on the next figures.

I do hope there will be more info released about Iron Hands in the near future, they're being neglected I believe.

I'm very thankful for your effort!

·
831 Posts
Iron Hands Space Marine Squad | Games Workshop

This is the unit of 10 iron hand marines, just about every single one has been modified in some way, so you could spread this out over 2 or 3 units to save yourself a little money. The unit sergeant looks great. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Iron Father model, so they've obviously stopped selling it. You could convert this unit sergeant, wouldn't be too hard, or you could use Colonel Straken or whatever he's called. He's got extensive bionics, but he is a guardsmen HQ. Take his arm and head and put him in power armour and you're right as rain..

There was an Iron Warriors conversion pack (just type in "iron hands" in the search bar it pops up), while it was chaos, some of the chest pieces didn't have any chaos symbols on them. Could be an idea.

Cheers, CG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not planning to build a huge army yet, so I don't know the exact composition. So even though I'd love to buy em and mod some of my 10 tacs I have right now, I think I'll have to wait a bit. Money's quite scarse atm (bought a land speeder storm today and enchanted blue for plasma pistols'n'such).

A very intriguing idea with Straken. I've seen a techpriest model today, which also seemed interesting. Before I started this thread I first tried searching for iron hands threads, but to no avail. I don't know if it just ignored my search request, but when it showed the results I couldn't find a single iron hands one.
I'll try to search for it once I arrive at home, or feel a bit better regarding my energy status.

I also found out that the local shop with the figures is working on a few tables in the lower part of the shop, which are gonna be used for playing tabletop and such. I'm really looking forward to meeting those people..once I have at least some kind of an army.
Let's just hope I won't be playing the Iron hands the "Iron Hands way" (charge with landraiders through anti-armor defenses just to show them our superiority).

·
831 Posts
*sigh* Money... I can never have enough

I didn't think of techpriest. That could work too, since Iron Hands have a close relationship with the Adepticus Mechanicus you could easily have a converted techpriest as an iron father. The only thing that is exclusively Iron Hands, is that link, so looking isn't going to give you much sadly. I wish GW would have a few more models released for Iron Hands, maybe a shoulder pad bitz pack and an iron father. You don't need that much to make the army iconic.

Sounds awesome, the social aspect in warhammer is really important. Thankfully, people who play warhammer are usually a nice bunch so you can just go up to them and organise a game.

Good luck and happy gaming, CG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts