Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hi, it is quite nice, although the painting standard seems to vary accross the model cant really tel lfrom the photo, but I woudl say - the black and yellow looks neat and good, the metal could use more highlighting or rust, the brown - not sure what this is, looks like you stuck a bit of real crab to it

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just give you a quick comment now maybe I wrights some more later.

Its on thing I don’t like, its the fact that the blast marks only show on the armor plates. I find it strange that its only got bullet hits there.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its on thing I don’t like, its the fact that the blast marks only show on the armor plates. I find it strange that its only got bullet hits there.
thats because the blasts marks wouldnt show up on the bare metal as much, the paint has chipped of the black and chevroned areas.

Hi, it is quite nice, although the painting standard seems to vary accross the model cant really tel lfrom the photo, but I woudl say - the black and yellow looks neat and good, the metal could use more highlighting or rust, the brown - not sure what this is, looks like you stuck a bit of real crab to it
Thanks. The metal is highlighted three times. its hard to tell from the photo. the brown is actually tin bits highlighted with brazen brass. and youre right it does look brown.

Thanks for the comments.

DJ87

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I echo Chered's words here. It is good enough for table top but certain things could have been done better. The yellow for instance, I think it was done over a black base for it looks rather dull and I seem to be able to see streaks of black through the base colour. The bronze needs more work; there it more of less no shading making it look flat and harder for any highlights to show through. A flesh wash or brown inking would work well here. Otherwise, I agree with Chered.

KU

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I agree that the blast marks shod not show as match on the rest of the model, but I do be live some shod show a bit at least.

In my opinion you shod have used more thin layers for the metallic colors. The silver look a bit thick in some places, then it is like KU sad. The yellow is painted on black, try to first paint it with a white base then paint on the yellow. The white have to be painted on in a few layers to be a good coat. If you do this the next time the result will get allot better.

On a personal not I think you need more color then juts metallic silver yellow, black and bronze. The colors you have now just blend in with encoder except the yellow. This can be help with some wash as well, but colors shod make a greater difference.

Its a good table top quality. And the model is not bad.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You see SmokWawelski its not a question if the model is really good or not, its more what you can improve or what you have done well. ;)
I post a picture I what to know how I can become a better painter, and what I have don well.

Sure its nice to have a few "great job". But there are other important things as well. As I sad I don’t think the model is bad painted, but there is things to improve as always.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Is this still a WIP? The model looks unfinished to me. I would have anticipated the yellow/black striping to continue over to the other leg casings as well. I would tone down the bright silver of the weapon damage marks - it seems a bit too strong considering how rusty/oily the rest of the metal looks.

Overall a good solid gaming piece. Nothing much wrong with it and I really don't have much more to add to it that wasn't already said.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
It's nice DJ.
There are a couple of things I would like to recommend.
The armourplates could do with a gentle Boltgun drybrush, just to make them look worn. If you get to much just give it a brown/black wash.
On the brass you could very well drybrush some (very little but still) gold. Just enough to make them more 3D.

I must say I love the small added details. The chains are really nice and the extra tubing in the front makes it so much more alive.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andusciassus is the only person to notice the small conversion wokr on the model.
thanks.

to answer AndEng bits, the yellow is painted on black undersoat with a codex grey then white coats over it, i actually added black ink (very watery) to the plates to make the yellow darker. in reality the yellow wouldnt be that bright, dust muck grease oil and the such would be hanging in the air so a real bright colour is not nessicary. i will go back and re do the brass with a highlight of heavier brazen brass and may be gold to.

thanks for your comments and AndEng was right if you post in this forum, dont expect a 'thats great i bow in homage' you want a 'nice work but you can improve by...' thanks all again.

DJ87

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You are right about the yellow, It shod not look to bright. But its not the color shade I have a bit trouble with, its that it looks a bit thick. Maybe you shod try do it in more layers.

If I what to get my yellow darker and have more shade, I use a brown + yellow Ink, flesh wash or something like that. This works for me, but there is more then one way to paint.

Maybe I’m just a bit picky as SmokWawelski sad. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally I like the look of bright yellow Iron Warriors, like that stuff in WD300 i think it was, but its up to you. And yeah, give the metal a black wash and another drybrush to highlight after.

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
I think it looks fine overall. The yellow is great looking from the pics, and I would love to see it on all the feet that have black plates on the pic. maybe even put some stripes some where else to add more detail. Two main problems tho, bronze colors is too flat, and the head looks odd with out its normal top (or any top i guess)

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
danjones87 said:
no AndEng, everyone is entiteld to there opinion, and you are not being harsh. So to add shade to your models with yellow on you paint them brown first? or after with yellow ink?

DJ
Yellow will usually cover over a brown much much better than black. I would recommend either a beastial brown, or graveyard earth as a base for the yellow.

The best order to paint the stripes would be to paint it solid yellow and then add the black - since black covers very well.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I've got an other thing now, :)
It's about the conversion and you might just ignore it since you left that phase but...

You have left the neck protection thing on top. If the Defiler has a head it looks really good but without the head it lacks purpose. It's just a thing sticking out. One can see that you got rid of most such extras and stripped this defiler to the essentials. This makes the "thing" look even more out of place.

I never really cared much for headless Defilers before but now I'm getting my head full of ideas.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yellow will usually cover over a brown much much better than black. I would recommend either a beastial brown, or graveyard earth as a base for the yellow.

The best order to paint the stripes would be to paint it solid yellow and then add the black - since black covers very well.
i have only painted on top of the black under coat, then with codex grey and skull white layerd on top. i will have to try bestial brown pr graveyard as you suggested.

i usually paint the yellow as a solid colour, or try and start the chevrons at this stage. if i paint them at the black stage i usually mess them up.

You have left the neck protection thing on top. If the Defiler has a head it looks really good but without the head it lacks purpose. It's just a thing sticking out. One can see that you got rid of most such extras and stripped this defiler to the essentials. This makes the "thing" look even more out of place.
I never noticed what it was for, and now you have told me i see it as a bit too much hassle to remove if i were to do another. Nice thought though.

DJ87

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
danjones87 said:
no AndEng, everyone is entiteld to there opinion, and you are not being harsh. So to add shade to your models with yellow on you paint them brown first? or after with yellow ink?

DJ
I have only used brown as a wash on the yellow. But I have newer tried this on a flat area like your plates. I think it will work better then black, but Sloraks Idée sound fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts