Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all 8Y

This is pretty much my first time seriously sitting down to think and test some paint styles for my IWs.

Even though i didn't really take my time, these following photos are strictly test models to see what effects I could get. Again this is my first time doing this, learning to proper way to ink and wash. Drybrushing being a common word thrown around even though no one ever goes on to say how to hold the brush nor how hard you should be pressing the brush on the model, all new stuff to me.

First I tryed to follow the simple "typicial" IW methods, Bolter base with a bunch of lighter drybrush highlights. But im extremely parshial(sp?) to the weathered look. I don't mind the bright looking IWs, but when I think of them I think dirty 'dug in for years' battered look. So next I tryed a *foundation* granite base with tin bitz, bolter, chainmail, mithril drybrushing probably more and darkened with chestnut inking.

The gold the silver mini is shining gold only, the darker mini is a mix of leather and bronzed flesh, with a shining gold highlight.

These Photos do not give them justice I took them in a dark room and are about 10 to 15% brighter.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF1998.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF2001.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF1999.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF2000.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF2003.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/wartoast/DSCF2002.jpg

Any CC would be great or maybe some more ideas to make these guys better, before I start working on the final project!

Thanks guys!

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
OK, well, looking at them from a purely 'colour' point of view, I like them.
The gunmetals seem nice and moody, and your golds contrast nicely.
If you are looking for a more 'weathered' look, I would suggest liberally washing with mixes of brown, blue and black over the entire model, re-highilghting any areas that get too murky.
Concentrate the blues over the silver, and the browns over the golds.

As far as techniques go, it looks like you have drybrushing down pretty well, but it seems that you might not be taking enough paint off your brush before applying it to the mini, as it looks very thick and splodgy in places (especially the shoulder pads, and various other 'smooth' panels).
When you wipe your brush onto the tissue (or whatever you are using to 'dry' it), you need to continue until almost no paint comes off the brush, otherwise you may end up leaving 'lumps' on the model.
It might also be due to inexperienced priming. You need to spray from fairly far back from the model (6-12"), and it is far better to do several lighter coats of spray, rather than one heavy coat (which often leaves 'crinkles' on flat surfaces, and clogs up detail).

I would also reccomend trying to paint in some of the finer details (such as eye lenses, squiggles on the purity seals etc etc), as these tiny elements really turn an 'ok' tabletop mini into a really nice piece of work.

Finally, I've edited your pics into links, as the maximum size for posting is 700 pixels wide. In future, please could you either re-size them, or post as links? Thanks.

Hopefully some of that was helpful,
-t.

·
Gentlemen.
738 Posts
If im not mistaken (I dont pay attention to marines) IW are chaos followers. Then the Imperial Eagle on his bolter in the first pic contradicts his allegiance to chaos:p.
Other than that, the model look overall pretty good, as -T said, it seems as though you dont take enough paint off of the brush before drybrushing. a good way to see how heavy your drybrush is to paint across you thumb. If you have a rag on your lap (like a good little boy should) you can wipe it off soon after the 'test'.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Hello there WarToast. When i paint my iron warriors i use lots of washes of dirty inks. I start by painting the entire model Tin bitz, I then paint all the model Boltgun metal, leaving only a small bit of tin bits in the cracks in the armour. I then paint a really watery coat of Black ink and flesh wash all over the model. I usually follow this up with a coat of chain mail and mithril silver. Layer more coats of the mixed inks over to suit the dirtyness of the model you want. For the Gold i paint tin bits, then shining gold with a slight wash of chestnut ink over that.

IMG_0151.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_0155.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_0154.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone!

Ya i do think it was a primer mistake, but i did end up liking the effect it made.

haha chaos; there just wannabies =p

Thanks Dan, Ill give that a try tonite. I have a few more blank pieces to play around with before i move on.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
If im not mistaken (I dont pay attention to marines) IW are chaos followers. Then the Imperial Eagle on his bolter in the first pic contradicts his allegiance to chaos:p.
Other than that, the model look overall pretty good, as -T said, it seems as though you dont take enough paint off of the brush before drybrushing. a good way to see how heavy your drybrush is to paint across you thumb. If you have a rag on your lap (like a good little boy should) you can wipe it off soon after the 'test'.
Well, the one good thing about chaos (what am I saying, everything is good about chaos!) is that we 'borrow' things from our imperially mistaken brethren. So, when you see a loyalist bolter in the hands of a traitor, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that a space marine died at the hands of chaos, whence, the bolter was absorbed by the warp.

Wartoast, the previous comments cover most of what I was going to say. Washing does wonders for a quick fix and hides mistakes, as well as adding depth and detail to the colors. You may want to dilute your wash by a factor of 1:3 (wash:water), if you have not used washed in the past. This will allow you to gradually add more without worrying about overcoating the model.

Great work so far.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Why was my post on the thread deleted?
That's a good question. There may be ghosts in the machine. Let me go poke around.

EDIT: When did you make it? The only mod action on this thread has been minus t's photo edit. If you somehow slipped a post through right as BH was updating the site yesterday, that might explain it. Otherwise, you win a kewpie doll because I've never seen that happen before.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
335 Posts
That's a good question. There may be ghosts in the machine. Let me go poke around.

EDIT: When did you make it? The only mod action on this thread has been minus t's photo edit. If you somehow slipped a post through right as BH was updating the site yesterday, that might explain it. Otherwise, you win a kewpie doll because I've never seen that happen before.
Right after Chaos877 post. Thinking bout it i bet i know why..

Well for a first model they are pretty good.
Thin your paints wuth some water, and that alone should make em look tons better.

I think it was deleted caused i referred to using the tears of innocents to thin the paints.:?

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Thanks Dan, Im trying what you have listed there as colours and approch, and i must say that they are looking great so far, still working on getting them the right tone.

ill post up soon.
I will say I have had some practice (a few years) to start to perfect my painting style on the iron warriors. Im glad your enjoying paint the Iron Warriors and I hope to see a few pictures soon.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oooook, Heres my 2nd update. Im still learning all the tricks and there are some new things im sure you will see in these new images. Somethings about these new guys I still love, well there are somethings Im still working on. Sorry about the eyes :p I haven't chosen a colour yet ;)

Meet the crew. *resized these images, hope they are alright*

8Y

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, I have a mix of models with abit of over spray... But i found I had abit of trouble with the paint drying to fast on the brush its self, making little paint balls :? I don't think I need to water it anymore, just gotta remember to clean the brush more often.

There are still a few things im trying to figure out. My trim came out pretty bright copper/bronze colour, which is great. but abit to shiny and slightly overpowering.

The colour choice for the eyes are bugging me as well, red is an obvious choice though.

The stripes came out quite nicely. I went out and picked up a foundation paint set which made life alot easier 8Y

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
I use red eyes, scab red or mechrite followed by blood red or even a 50:50 mix of blood red and blazing orange. Red eyes look evil, blue eyes look cold, green eyes look technical.

For your paint brush issues Id say clean them every time the paint starts to dry on it. I always use watery paint, it doesnt go globby very often. There are some good tips for painting on the gamesworkshop website.

Do you have a plan for your army list? If you do you can send me a PM and Ill crituque it for you.

Dan

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I don't know if it would work here, but I'm trying to do amber-colored lenses. Start with a dark brown (I use Scorched Brown) and mix in an orangey yellow for subsequent layers. Not too shabby, and similar to glowing red.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts