Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I won't deny it, as it was the larger nid models which got me hooked (flesh?) on this force.

I was wondering though, if a Nidzilla list still viable/possible?

Thanks in advance.

:beer:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I run one, and I've won every match I've played with the new 'Dex. The rule for my army is: Nothing under 3 wounds! So my force consists of Hive Tyrant, Tyranid Warriors, Ripper Swarms, Carnifexes, Trygons, Mawlocs, Raveners and Mycetic Spores. Let my giant intimidating monsters emerge from below and pelt my enemy from the skies! Mwa hah hah hah!

But I don't play the tournament scene, so I wouldn't really know if my list is really competitive or not, it's just fun as hell to play.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Yes, it is, but not with Carnifexes. (Carnifexii?)

Tervigons, Tyrannofexes, those are the bee's knees now.
I disagree. Carnifexes are just fine and dandy. As I keep saying: pretty much EVERY unit in the 'nids codex is useful ... at least somewhere in some army lists.

And like you, MaleOpener, it has always been the monsters that have made me a Tyranids fan. The only reason I didn't build the army more than a year ago was because I heard when the new 'nids would come out. Wasn't all bad. Gave me a full year to really hone my skillz with Tau. :rotfl:

Even better, there are multiple ways to run 'nidzilla these days! My first target build -- halfway there as of this writing! -- is a rather plain-vanilla, kinda-dullish build because I can put it on the table all painted faster than I can make anything else with the models I currently own. I don't claim it's awesome -- not by any stretch -- but it's Good Enough to win some games and be fun in the process.

HQ
[210 pts] Hive Tyrant, brainleech devourers, heavy venom cannon, paroxysm, leech essence
[60 pts] Tyrant Guard
[210 pts] Hive Tyrant, brainleech devourers, heavy venom cannon, paroxysm, leech essence

Elite
[100 pts] 2 Hive Guard
[100 pts] 2 Hive Guard
[140 pts] Deathleaper

Troop
[50 pts] 10 Termagants
[180 pts] Tervigon, scything talons, onslaught
[50 pts] 10 Termagants
[180 pts] Tervigon, scything talons, onslaught

Heavy Support
[200 pts] Carnifex, brainleech devourers, heavy venom cannon
[320 pts] 2 Carnifex, 2 × scything talons
[200 pts] Trygon

Total: 2000 pts

Once I figure out how I want to build spores, this "dropzilla" list will be quick and easy to get on the table as well.

HQ
[255 pts] Hive Tyrant, 2 × scything talons, wings, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander
[255 pts] Hive Tyrant, 2 × scything talons, wings, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander

Elite
[160 pts] 2 Zoanthropes; Mycetic Spore
[160 pts] 2 Zoanthropes; Mycetic Spore
[140 pts] Deathleaper

Troop
[50 pts] 10 Termagants
[190 pts] Tervigon, scything talons, catalyst, toxin sacs
[190 pts] 5 Warriors, scything talons, rending claws; Mycetic Spore

Heavy Support
[200 pts] Carnifex, 2 × scything talons; Mycetic Spore
[200 pts] Carnifex, 2 × scything talons; Mycetic Spore
[200 pts] Trygon

Total: 2000 pts

Again, not really that awesome, but it is hella fun to play an army that can legitimately start 100% off the table and either deepstrike into play on turn 2 or come in outflanking.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Nidzilla, which I used to play in 4th edition, is still viable. However, depending on your opponent's build, it'll either do really well or lose pretty harshly. It is, indeed, somewhat gimmicky. Nowadays, I prefer a slightly more balanced list, though I still use a lot of TMC's in my army (typically 5-6).

Carnifexes are still good, especially if on spores. However, they will hurt when you go up against Space Wolves with a Rune Priest. Therefore, I opt to go for Trygons/mawlocs over them nowadays.

@number6:

One thing to note is that your HQ setup is somewhat controversial. Some will argue, because of the IG FAQ, that 2 Hive Commanders don't stack. Others may also argue that you have to start your Tyrants on the board (they have to be "in play") in order for you to get their reserve bonuses and outflanking. Just be prepared to support your setup when they cry foul. As long as they don't argue, my 2K "nidzilla" list would actually be very similar to yours:

Hive Tyrant, 2 × scything talons, wings, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander
Hive Tyrant, bone sword + lash whip, heavy venom cannon, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander
Tyrant Guard

2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Guard
2 Zoanthropes; Mycetic Spore

10 Termagants
Tervigon, scything talons, catalyst, adrenal glands, toxin sacs
10 Termagants
Tervigon, scything talons, catalyst, adrenal glands, toxin sacs

Mawloc
Trygon, adrenal glands
Trygon Prime, adrenal glands

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I disagree. Carnifexes are just fine and dandy.
[210 pts] Hive Tyrant, brainleech devourers, heavy venom cannon, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander
[60 pts] Tyrant Guard
[210 pts] Hive Tyrant, brainleech devourers, heavy venom cannon, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander
I agree that Carnifexes are good, though I think they are less flexible. Use the assaulty ones with lots of Termagants etc so they can't be easily singled out. Sending the m down in Spores may be good too.

I think your Hive Tyrants there have the wrong points. I think they should be 235 pts each.

I think five Tervigons with catalyst could make a good Nidzilla list. The five of them will cost 875 points, add about 150 pts for random upgrades scattered about, talons, claws, glands etc. Use three broods of Termagants (scuttling swarm ) to use them in troops so that all five of them may be used in one army. Get each Termagant brood at fifty points each for cheapness, if possible.

The Tervigons will spew forth loads of babies and solve the problem that Nidzilla has of few units. In a 2000 point game the rest of the points can go on other monstrous creatures, whichever ones take your fancy. The catalyst will be very good on other monstrous creatures. A brood of Carnifexes will be very hard to destroy if they have catalyst played on them.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
One thing to note is that your HQ setup is somewhat controversial. Some will argue, because of the IG FAQ, that 2 Hive Commanders don't stack. Others may also argue that you have to start your Tyrants on the board (they have to be "in play") in order for you to get their reserve bonuses and outflanking. Just be prepared to support your setup when they cry foul.
I am aware that there is some controversy. But as a counterpoint, it's worth noting that the Eldar FAQ not only allows two Autarchs to stack their reserve bonuses, but it even allows the Eldar player to choose whether to apply one, both, or neither of the bonuses from turn to turn!

GW will almost certainly FAQ it one way or another (and there's no real predicting which way they'll go). But shy of that, there isn't anything controversial about the RAW. A hive tryant is still "alive" -- on or off the table -- until it is actually killed in play. And as I just noted via the Eldar, the IG FAQ doesn't set any unique "precedent".
Leech said:
I think your Hive Tyrants there have the wrong points. I think they should be 235 pts each.
Doh! Hive commander shouldn't be on the shooty tyrants! I removed them so now the points are accurate. Good catch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts