Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well......

As far as i know you can use previous editions of any race but i don't think you could use them in a tournament, but i know you can use them in a normal game as long as you get your opponents consent which isn't usually hard.

And there is always apocalypse as i'm positive you can use it in that.

·
318 Posts
Yeah, traitors, mutants, etc. only exist legally in Apocalypse now. Check out the GW site for some of the related data sheets.

I haven't built my army up to Apocalypse levels yet, so I haven't bothered checking out the full book, but I think all the traitor vehicles/rules are explained there.

You can still use Eye of Terror and the previous CSM edition for friendly games, if that's what you want, but it's not legal any more, and has been out of print for some time now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
do you think that would be the same case for Ulthwe Strike Force-Eldar. I understand the points for friendly games. But I do agree with the other concerns as to why they keep selling the codex if you can't use hardly any of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, traitors, mutants, etc. only exist legally in Apocalypse now. Check out the GW site for some of the related data sheets.

I haven't built my army up to Apocalypse levels yet, so I haven't bothered checking out the full book, but I think all the traitor vehicles/rules are explained there.

You can still use Eye of Terror and the previous CSM edition for friendly games, if that's what you want, but it's not legal any more, and has been out of print for some time now.

But thats my point should they be selling a codex for an army that is'nt legal anymore?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Stores will probably continue to sell them in hopes the someone comes along and buys them for nostalgia or doesn't know better. It's a profitable way to clear out old inventory. I've seen outdated codices on store shelves. It is misleading, but not much we can do other than raise awareness I guess...

·
860 Posts
Let's face it, most of the chaos has been removed from Chaos. We CSMs don't have god-based Daemons, Cultists, Traitors or Mutants anymore. The units in our Codex look and feels quite similar to the new Dark Angels and Blood Angels Codexs. We are now slightly funky SMurfs who look cool.

Luckily most Apocalypse organisers and players I experienced, have been reasonably good at allowing very mixed up forces. For example, and IG player with Deamon and Witch hunters etc, i.e. using the Allies concept well.

I think that some players will be o.k. with us using 'The Lost and the Damned' units and decent Chaos deamons from the new Codex.

In recent Apocalypse battles I've used my Traitor Guard (using the IG Codex) with my CSMs, and Cultists from Chapter Approved. Another Chaos player has been using Mutants from TLATD too.

The new Lost and the Damned datasheet creates some quite interesting units. Try playtesting these units:

a). 20 Mutants: Icon of Tzeentch, 10 are Big Mutants (2x Flamers). Boss has Power Weapon. Laspistols might be worth adding too.

b). 20 Mutants: Icon of Nurgle, 10 are Big Mutants (2x Flamers). Boss has Power Weapon. Laspistols might be worth adding too.

Using the Majority Toughness rule, the first time the unit takes hits, it will have to use the smaller Mutants Toughness. Remove most casualties from them, taking only a few Wounds on the Big Mutants. Next time you are hit, the Big Mutants will be the Majority, so you'll use their Toughness. Just make sure you don't go below 50% strength.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Let's face it, most of the chaos has been removed from Chaos. We CSMs don't have god-based Daemons, Cultists, Traitors or Mutants anymore.
This is because the codex is called 'Codex: Chaos Space Marines' Not Codex: Chaos, Codex: Chums of Chaos, or Codex: The Unfriendly Associates of Abaddon. The reason for this is the CSM believe they are the most superior fighting forces of the chaos gods and don want to seem weak in there eyes by using allies to bolster there numbers.

You can also use the FW rules for renagade militia if you want to, Or even make up your own house rules and use the new codex points costs were possible and the EoT ones in others. But to be painfully honest, LatD is dead.

Dan

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
technically as above Codex EoT is illegal, however most friendly and some official tourneys will still allow it.

the reson it is on slae is partly to get rid of old stock, also GW dont opperate a buy back for indie stockist (one round us still has the old codex eldar and craftworld on its shelves)

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I have a lot of favorites in 40k, traitor guardsmen are defenitly amongst my top 3 of greatest units. I really want GW to give them rules. ;?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts