Librarium Online Forums banner

Is it possible to convert rhinos into chimeras?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Seraphim_Guard 
#1 ·
The title pretty much says it all.

Due to circumstances, I have plenty of rhinos, but only one chimera, and I want to assemble an Imperial Guard force. Is there any good way to convert the rhinos into chimeras? I'd need to find a turret for starters, but the chimeras are also wider, and have tracks on top of the sides, whereas rhinos only have them on the bottom.

What do you think? Is it possible, or will it just look lousy? If that's the case, is an army with only one chimera viable?

#2 ·
Hmmm. I 've never tried this, nor given it any thought. There might be a way to do it, but you could just make them into something 'different' and count it as a chimera. I don't know, some kind of APC. On your last question, you don't need any chimeras at all. They are good, but not essential.

#3 ·
I would like to think it should be easy enough. Add a turret and a clever paint scheme, and I'd be willing to call it a Chimera. The only place I see such a conversion being an issue would be the tournament scene, where models must cover at least as much area as what they represent. Even then, I wouldn't call it too much of a stretch so long as you inform the judges beforehand.

#6 ·
Cover the sides in baggage and netting etc to beef it up a little. Perhaps some ablative armour plates as well to increase it's size. The sentinel box would be a good place to get weaponry from; failing that heavy weapons teams with camo net over the barrel of the lascannons can provide a nice conversion. In fact I'd recommend the heavy weapons teams boxes for weaponry. It's doable though greenstuff netting and plasticard would make the job top notch.
Hope that helps

A

#8 ·
Maybe the turret bits from the immolators?
Or 2 metal rings that fit into each other, coper pipes and stuff...

#9 ·
I think the problem comes from the rhino's height, as it's much taller than a chimera.

Card can help you with the width, but what to do about the height?

Then there's the matter of the six lasgun ports, the noticeable troop compartment, and the hull-mounted weapon.

:beer:

#10 ·
I'm not really worried about it being too tall, because it's always permitted for a conversion to be larger than the normal model (within logical limits of course, no vehicles the size of the board and such). It's just not tournament legal for the model to be any smaller. Putting extra armor and bags on the side sounds like the way to go.

Also, I'm interested in it not looking too weird, but hopefully the rhinos won't look too much taller than chimeras.

#11 ·
Rhinos and chimeras are very nearly identical in height: 2 inches exactly without the turret for a chimera, about 2 1/8 inches for the rhino without the storm bolter. The real difference is width, as chimeras are about 4 inches wide and rhinos only 3. The main thing for tourney legality, then, would be the turret itself and enough armor to add half and inch to both of the sides of the rhino.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.