Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title of my thread suggests I have been day dreaming
about one day starting my own gaming company.
After long hours of brain storming ideas, I think it could be done.
I think the most important thing would be to have a strong and powerful
concept and work from that. I would also need to overcome the nightmarish
logistical side of running a game company.

My question has anyone thought of this before or even tried to start their own games
company and what challages you have faced?

Before anyone asks this is a distant pipe dream, all I have so far I have is
what I think would a cool idea for a wargame and so far I don’t think anyone else has
come up with it or even been close.

·
335 Posts
Do you have a solid fleshed idea?
Do you have alot of money?
Have you done any Buisness classes in college?
If you have a good idea, have you told other about it, and noted down their reactions and thoughts?
Are you good at sculpting, drawing, or at the very least explaining your ideas.
Have you thought out game mechanics?
DO YOU HAVE ALOT OF MONEY!?

If you answered yes to all of the above, then yes it is a realistic idea.:happy:

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Do you understand route to market?
(dont think a lot of money is an issue as you can aquire financial backing, but you need to have a product and plans, with a financial model

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Yes, we all have ideas, mine usually include beer and Sisters of battle at a beach party :drinking:

Sorry, but "idea" alone will not get you far I am affraid... Perhaps start a hobby store, if you can make it work for 5 years or so, you can dream bigger, and with the experience, $$$ and contacts think of starting a game brand...

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
In all seriousness I'd suggest making and publishing a boardgame. There are several reasons I say this- Firstly it is often lower expense than starting a company and can be handled while real life continues. Secondly, it's a real test of your ability to conceptualise and design a successful game, as well as stick with a project to the point of success. Consider it gaming company Lvl1. Finally, I think it's worth doing because it will cause you to be exposed to the world of games publishing prior to your big project. It'll feed you heaps of experience that you can only get by actually doing things like that- experience that you'd rather have already gained before you sink cash into your company.

Best of luck to you, I hope it all goes well.

·
Adeptus Laziness
614 Posts
Yes, I could always make this block of text bigger if you want.

Yes, it can be done.

It's of my opinion though, that you'd have a far better chance of making a successful gaming company if your gaming company develops games for the digital, as opposed to the tabletop realm. As in, yes, video games. Now if you're dead set on going into tabletop, bear with me for a sec...

A video game can be far cheaper to create and far cheaper to distribute than even, yes, board games. Why? The internet. Get a designer, a couple of code monkeys, an artist, make a simple yet complicated ("lolwat?") game, advertise it for free with selling extras for cash (Like Maple Story, Gunbound, or Anarchy Online).

As for what the hell do I mean by a simple yet complicated game? The game design should be simple, the game itself shouldn't be. For example, look at Warhammer itself. The premise is simple, move, shoot, close combat, and yet it's complicated by the variety of models you can put out and the crazy possibilities that could happen during those three simple steps.

If you started making the game design itself more complicated however, like, oh say work in logistics into the whole thing (since logistics is key to real world warfare), and force the players to keep track how many arrows are being shot, whether or not the troops are well fed or not, toss in other factors beyond normal morale and leadership checks like whether or not your troops will actually follow your exact commands... since back then they didn't have radios, so what if you had a messenger system with pages running to and fro bearing messages with the possibilty of a Charge of the Light Brigade glitch happening.

...well, if you did that, the game probably wouldn't be all that fun except for the few masochists that thing that the more buttons you have to press the better. (That, and with such a complicated game design you're going to have a hell of a time cleaning out the bugs in beta.)

As for the game itself... I think they screwed up making Dawn of War to follow the same premise every other RTS game did, that is you gather resources, slowly build up your troops, and then attack. Personally I think what they should've done is had you, the gamer, make a list, with each soldier costing a certain amount of points, and say, with that 2000 point list, play against other gamers or the computer with that list... a crazy concept, I know.

...so yeah, just a couple of my thoughts there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. Do you have a base to rely on (friends or fellow gamers to buy stuff or refer others)?
2. Do you have a backup plan for your finances if you fail?
3. Do you have a reliable business partner (optional)?

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I don't think your idea of a tabletop computer version of warhammer would work well, unless you made it EXACTLY like warhammer, with the LOS and movement, everything already set up so you don't have to read the book every couple of seconds.

I think they've done it well, against good players DOW can be very tactical, still lots of balance issues I think and they've ruined it all with soulstorm but where is this rant going?

I don't know but I think they did a good job, it's my favourite RTS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts