Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am not a total newb, I am definately still collecting and building up my Space Marine army. I forget how many points I have exactly, but I know I have a 7-man Tac squad, an 8-man tac squad, a 10 man assault squad, a termy Chaplain, and a Commander.

I barely ever play 40k anymore, but recently I've found some new players... I believe they play as Chaos Marines, Necrons, and Imperial Guard.

Basically, I'm looking just to beef my forces up. I obviously don't have a whole lot to choose from, and my friends and I used to play smaller games (I think I had a 500pt list at some point) but I'd really like to expand my forces, and the Battleforce seems like a good idea.

Now, it's not like I don't own the Codex or Rulebook or anything... I'm not THAT new. But looking at the Battleforce, it could really help me out. If I get it, I'd have 30 tactical marines, 15 assault marines, 5 scouts, a Rhino, plus my Commander and Chaplain. I think that it'd be a good deal, an give me some variety.

With these new players, I'm not sure how many points they have... I think one has over 1,000 while the others are in the 600-800 mark.

I'm basically looking to really add variety and options (and to just add more content) to my army.

So with all that said, is the Battleforce a good idea for me? I ask because maybe the Scouts and Rhino will be useless for me, and maybe buying different models would be better for me.

I'm sorry if that seems vague or worded poorly, but I am exhausted and wanted to post this before I go to bed.

By the way... if anyone gives suggestions other than the Battleforce, I only have $100, give or take about $25, to spend total.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey :)

Well to me it seems as thought you have more 'Pros's than you do 'Cons' so from that point of view, it does seem to be 'good for you'

However, it depends on what your style of play is, if the Rhino and Scouts are going to be useless (give them to me :rofl) then why not buy the Squads separately? it might cost more i guess but at least you get what you need.

Or you could find a way to use the other 2 Units and incorporate them into your force? what about buying something entirely different? Termies or Predator? its a more Elite 'Content' for your force, but that all comes down to the way you use your force, no?

But if you think the Scouts and Rhino could be included in your force, now or later, then i would say go for it :)

Shaabhekh :happy:

Ps: sorry if this was of no help :z

·
545 Posts
Well, for a start you could write up a list with possible expansions for your army. See how much the battleforce will fix up those holes.

Perhaps you could look into the other Marine battleforces. There's the Space wolves one, giving you pretty much 20 marines (10 of those are armed w/ CCW & Bolt pistol), 3 bikes and a Rhino (though it might be the old model Rhino) or go for the Ravenwing battleforce giving you a Landspeeder, and Attackbike & 6 normal bikes. Both should still be available.

Otherwise you could opt for buying single units, but given the fact that it's a lot more expensive then buying battleforces. However, buying a battleforce with just half of the stuff really needed for your army doesn't make that much sense either.

Like said before, I'd make up a 1000-ish armylist and see what box contents would fit most.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
I feel like a broken record these days as I always find myself giving the same advice, but I feel very strongly about it. Do not let outside forces dictate your army list. It may be more cost effective to buy a particular box set, but if in the end you wind up playing with models that you aren't crazy about or units that don't fit your play style you will regret not spending the extra bit of cash.

My advice is to sit down and figure out what style of army you want to play and which models you would enjoy putting together and painting. Figure out a point cost that you want to build to and make a single list. Try to not be persuaded by model cost or point effectiveness and just make your absolute perfect list that fits your tastes and playstyle. Once you have that in hand, then figure out the best way to go about putting it together.

Chaoschrist gave a fantastic suggestion in buying other army's sets. All of these boxes are going to come with standard marine bits and a special army sprue. By not using the special bits you can put together vanilla marines out of the box. (The SW rhino is a newer version btw, as long as you buy one that was recently manufactured. Check the picture on the back of the box to determine which it has.)

I would also check into the Apoc sets that are still floating around out there. The box with two whirlwinds and a landspeeder is particularly nice. Remember that those whirlwinds can double as rhinos or even triple as predators with a few extra sprues.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Do not let outside forces dictate your army list. It may be more cost effective to buy a particular box set, but if in the end you wind up playing with models that you aren't crazy about or units that don't fit your play style you will regret not spending the extra bit of cash.
Great advice. :C

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice, guys.

On the notes of the Space Wolves... I do have an interest in playing as them, but I cannot bring myself to lose the usage of my assault marines, which have actually won games for me. Plus I spent good money on them.

That said, I know that I can buy the SW Battleforce and not use them as Space Wolves, but it seems that having 10 Marines with CQB weapons and no jump packs would be a waste... I could put them in the Rhino, but in lesser-point games, the Rhino probably wouldn't be used. That's what I was reffering to when I said the Rhino in the standard Battleforce wouldn't be too useful... it might not see as much action as some other units, but it would definetely get in on the carnage at some point and time... same goes for the Scouts.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Sorry if I sounded as I was trying to persuade you into playing Space Wolves. That was not my intention.

If you will absolutely use the fifteen marines and the five assault marines and they are something you would buy regardless then I think you definitely should get the battleforce. Those models alone would cost you $80. That means you are paying $10 for the five scouts and the rhino. Because you are doubting the usefulness of the rhino you could purchase the extra sprues needed and turn it into a whirlwind, predator, or vindicator for very little money if any of those units are attractive to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, don't worry about the Sapce Wolves thing.

I had a large interest in them long before this thread... they're probably my favorite Space Marine chapter, but I've always been skeptical about playing as them since I really, really like my Assault Squads, and wouldn't want to lose them. That's the only thing holding me back from Space Wolves. And hey, if you want to try and convert me, go for it! By the way, do the Wolves have a new Codex coming out any time soon?

Also, I've also toyed with buying a 10 pack of Jump Packs seperate. I could always just glue them to the Blood Claw models and effectively get a Rhino/whatever, 10 Tac Marines, 10 Assault Marines, and 3 Bikes out of one box.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Or if you bought the space wolves GW sells a jump pack sprue for 15$ and it comes with 10 jump packs so you could have two squads of assault marines.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Space Wolves are allowed to take jump pack blood claws, it's just frowned upon. That and they are very expensive for what you get.

Perhaps you should look into Blood Angels. You seem to be assault squad oriented and no one does it better than they do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why exactly is it frowned upon?

As for Blood Angels, I really like them as well... but they have that trait we they could possibly be forced to move. I forget the name, but it seems like a bad idea to use them. I love CQC, and against my CSM playing friend, I'd dominate him with Assault troops, but against horde enemies, I could see them being useless for the most part.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mean to double-post, but I'm also using this as a bump, since I think a bump is a better idea than a new topic...

In the Battleforce, do the Scouts come with sniper rifles? Also, how many sprues are there for the Tactical and Combat Squads? Do they allow as much customization as if I bought them seperately, in their own box sets?

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Why exactly is it frowned upon?

As for Blood Angels, I really like them as well... but they have that trait we they could possibly be forced to move. I forget the name, but it seems like a bad idea to use them. I love CQC, and against my CSM playing friend, I'd dominate him with Assault troops, but against horde enemies, I could see them being useless for the most part.
As for space wolves with jump packs it is listed in the codex, but only as an amendment to the bikers and states that jump packs are only used in rare circumstances to carry out special missions. While this does not prevent you from taking three large squads of jump troops it is widely understood to be a faux pas.

As for blood angels they lost that trait with the current codex. It was something that made many of their units (devs and rhinos) almost unusable and so was dropped. Black Rage only applies to death company now and is automatic rather than rolled for if they are not within 6" of a chaplain.

I don't know if the scouts in that box come with sniper rifles, but my gut feeling is that they will not. In fact I am around 90% sure they will not.

The space marines will come with the exact same sprues as if you had purchased them separately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.