Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Bretonnians!

I had a dilemma that I am sure can be quickly resolved. Can you start with a formation of knights that is missing the middle knight in the last row? The WHFB rules say any incomplete ranks should be filled from the center in the back (and would be moved to the side, if engaged on the flank), but the lance formation rules state the middle can be open - my main question being can you start the game with only 8 knights in a lance formation of three ranks and already have the middle knight in the last row missing? This is obviously in an effort to save a few points - especially for the GKs!

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Yes you can have 8 knights and start with the middle one in the rear missing, it is completely in line with the lanceformation rule.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup this is perfectly legal, and both the knights would get to attack on the charge. Fairly obviously you don't get the rank bonus for these guys, since it is not a complete rank.

As a general point, the rules in any given army book, superceed those in the main rule book. the lance formation isn't described in the main book at all, so you can't really apply the rules from the main rulebook over the rules for the lance in terms of the back rank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.