Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently play space wolves and I was wondering, is it wise to equip wolf guard models in power armour with heavy weapons such as HB,ML, Las, MM, and PC?
Also as you already know, long fangs suck....so i was wondering what u guys think about wolf guard with heavy weaps.

Its in the space wolf codex pg 8 if your wondering......anyway, thx.

Also i forgot, I was thinking about putting an IRON PRIEST in my 2k point army, only because they look cool, lol. But I dont know what to use them for...they seem......uselesss, any idea how to play them??? I already have a rune priest and dont want a wolf priest, THX again.

·
Registered
925 Posts
A) long fangs do not suck
B) Depends what you want for a list.

You can only take heavy weapons in a wolf guard bodyguard, ergo you have to take a char. Wolf guard are expensive, however they fight well. i assume this dedicating shooting squad will have a min maxed wolf guard battle leader so you can take the bodyguard?
I dont like the idea.

·
Surgeon General
369 Posts
As bonjordo said, Long Fangs dont suck. Just use them right and they'll serve you well.

I sometimes use a Iron Priest just for the same reasons as you said. (cool model). If you do some maths you'll see that he isnt a bad choice really.

Use him in replacement of a WGL in a blood claw squad. He has two wounds, 5 ws and bs, thunder hammer and 2+ save. This for a price only slightly above a WGL with thunderhammer. Not too shabby...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I actually agree with idrinkdrpepper, longs fang do suck, there ok for big battles over 2000 points but in small battles 1k lower, they suck like crap!

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
If thrown in the open, and used without any clue towards tactics or placement then they will suck all the time. (Half my army, in a 750pt game with no HQ, got wiped out in two turns by them.)

Know how to use your units before labeling them as bad. (Thats why I'm gonna have to start playing a couple of games with my chaplain and bikes again...8))

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Long fangs do not suck, they better than devastators.
My fav. long fang combo is 2 HB and 2ML- optimised for verstility.

As to the original question, heavy weapons on wolf guard are a bad idea, its only worth it if they are in terminator armour.

·
948 Posts
Heeyy...I never thought of using Wolf Guard like Long Fangs before. Stick them with a cheap WGBL...not a bad idea. I might try that this weekend.

·
Registered
209 Posts
you what is really cool, to have a 10-man wolf guard pack w/leader, 6 have bolters+ccw, and 4 have 2 hb and 2 have las. that would b just like the devastators from the other chapters, plus u get 6 reg wolf guard to take up the damage while using the heavy weap guys :) though it will be expensive, i estimate that 10 man squad will b like 360 points?

·
948 Posts
Wolf Guard Heavy Weapons cost the same as Long Fang Heavy Weapons, right?
Heh, the hell with making them like a regular Devestator Squad, I'm taking a squad with 9 Plasma Cannons!

Wolf Guard Battle Leader
-Bolt Pistol
-Close Combat Weapon
9 Wolf Guard
-9 Plasma Cannons
=492 Points

You know, for a unit with 9 Plasma Cannons, that ain't half bad. Yeah, it's expensive, but that'll wipe out an entire Tac Squad in a single shot. Probably would be pretty good against light vehicles, too. Maybe I'll proxy one of these this weekend. Yeah, it'll be half my army, but still.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yeah its cool...but its stupid and it sucks like crap, i still dont recommend having 9 pc in a squad.....you dont have any regulars to soak up the damage, and still, you could b wiped out in a few turns.

·
948 Posts
I know it'll get wasted-it's just begging for a Russ to hit it. I know it's not anything even vaguely, remotely approching competitive, but it still looks kinda fun.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Make sure you let us know how that turns out... It sounds crazy.:wacko:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You could also get only 5 or 6 PC instead of 9. And what would you think of several Bionics or WT Talismans? Set it somewhere where you can see everything and damn that everything can see you. :p

Tai'shar

·
Registered
282 Posts
Multiple Mobile PC's, that hurts!

I dont have the SW codex so I'm ignorant of what they can do. Are you sugjesting sticking all of them in terminator armor and giving them Heavy weapons as well? I'd think that would be a major point sink, but God what a fun unit to play with. Just think what your opponent would say when that unleashes on a squad.:w00t: Move and shoot plasma death goodness. Uber yummy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Long Fangs may not "suck", but they are at a serious disadvantage when compared to a regular devestator squad. The moment a Long Fang squad begins to lose models it is losing effectiveness. Either the owning player removes the Sgt, and therefore loses the ability to split fire, or they lose a model with a Heavy Weapon. Neither of which are good choices.

Any enemy player worth playing against knows this and will target them early in the game to render them ineffective and to gain a large amount of victory points.

Also, mixing weapons initially seems like a good idea for a Long Fang squad, until it becomes obvious that losing the first model means that all of the weapons must shoot at the same target now. It is never a good idea to mix Heavy Weapons.

In the end I would not choose Long Fangs as a Heavy Support option. I would instead take other models that are more tactically flexible, yet still have a high amount of firepower, such as Land Speeders, or Attack Bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ermmm...only one in each 3 wolf guard bodyguards can have a heavy weapon. So, you are limited to 3 heavy weapons in a squad with a HQ and 9 wolf guards. :shifty:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Eduardo/RS said:
ermmm...only one in each 3 wolf guard bodyguards can have a heavy weapon. So, you are limited to 3 heavy weapons in a squad with a HQ and 9 wolf guards. :shifty:

I didnt see that anywhere in the codex, mind sharing where you found it?

also, Im thinking of starting a 20-man wolf guard force (power armour), led by a wolf lord. 1 in every with a heavy weap huh? Would it b illegal if I arm all of them with powerfists, to make them a special elite wolf squad? lol....crazy..but i dont think its legal, is it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts