Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I think so, the tactica articles are very good and the batreps are fun to read (some more than others). Also if you get a subscription you can get things like the option to buy Games Day tickets a month before they go on general sale.

I buy it monthly and think almost every issue is worth it.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
Nah, I don't think so, I'd only buy it if my army was the one featured. Like when the new Dark Angels, Orks and Eldar are due. Then I will buy them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's really for you to decide. If you find it useful, then it should be worth it. If not, then don't buy it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, but that would require me to buy a copy to find out. :p

impending slaughter said:
It depends what army you use. SM or CSM? It probably is worth buying. Practically any other army? Probably not :(
Well, I'm playing orks mostly.. :<

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would suggest getting a copy for yourself then. Just like any other magazine ,or anything as a matter of fact, some people will like it, some won't. I personally like it. Spending $6 once to find out if you should get it again is not that much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Swordy said:
I seriously want to know. :p

If you want to be a better painter, it helps to study nicely painted miniatures.

WD is worth the price simply for the painting/conversion ideas for modelling.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got myself a copy, and while enjoyable to read, I found the LoTR section largely pointless, and the 40k section feels thin. I can see myself buying these though, if only for terrain ideas.

·
LO Zealot
1,173 Posts
If you play all 3 main game systems then its worth it.

However, if you only play 40k like me, you may want to consider just buying each years catalogue for £5 and using the gamesworkshop online news, and online store instead. Not to mention buying codices to read instead...

The other option is to get a 2 or 3 year subscription it then works out to just over £2 an issue. That way you can justify only reading 1/3rd of a magazine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
White Dwarf is the monthly house organ for GW - so right there it's worth it. I have yet to see anything on the website that compares to the magazine itself. It's printed on quality paper, has great articles, and the photographs are spectacular.

I can understand why people wouldn't want it for financial reasons, but - with that said - I still personally consider it a must.

If you try it and don't like it, fine - but if you try it and love it, there ya go. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to love it, but i dont like it any more - i read the most recent one in about 40 minutes, and its been the same for a while. There doesnt seem much in there anymore that really interests me.

·
706 Posts
White Dwarf is a fine magazine, but its topics are a little too specific. basically i would just stop in once a month and flip through it looking at the topics. if you see one relating to orks, buy it!(havent seen any of those in a while though, i have orks too) i try to get as many as i can, even if it isnt useful to me, just because i love to read about any GW stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on your level of devotion to the hobby. If you are predominantly a painter and converter, then I would perhaps only purchase specific WD issues that have Golden Daemon reports or conversion workshops.

If, on the other hand, you are primarily a gamer, then the magzine is best purchased if/when it contains Chapter Approved updates or updates concerning your WHFB armies.

I personally consider myself to be a consummate hobbyist. I heavily enjoy both the painting and playing aspects of the game and therefore every issue has something for me. Since each of us has a different take on the hobby, it is best to decide how to go about using the magazine for yourself.

Worlds Collide

·
269 Posts
Undeadair said:
If you want to be a better painter, it helps to study nicely painted miniatures.

WD is worth the price simply for the painting/conversion ideas for modelling.
Though the Masterclass articles have diappeared to be replaced with more "Get you by" painting articles. I always liked hearing about new techniques and ideas. Hell, I'd love to see a step-by-step in WD about NMM or other more advanced techniques as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
agree with gareth, unless you like lotr and WHF or WH40k alltogether, you will get a lot of extraneous stuff

·
Registered
655 Posts
I recently picked up a subscription, it's... eh. I have the disposable income to spend $5/mo on having some pretty pictures to look at is about what it boils down to. They pretty much make their way into the bathroom for me (and my GF when she's out of trashy tabloids) to flip through. I'm happy with the subscription, but honestly... meh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts