Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my new 2000 point army including a King instead of a LHP I would like to hear how some of you spend the 100 points on your King. I know some of you don't like to spend the full point value, but I love to

I was thinking of going this route

Scorpion Armour So if my King goes solo and is greatly outnumbered I don't have to worry (right away)

Collar of Shapesh

Sword of Might By taking this sword instead of a great weapon I can also carry a shield for an even better armour save.

Vambrances of the sun. the selected model is a mounted monster I can pick the monster or the rider.

My king would be equipped with a regular shield as well.

So in closing my King would be strength 6. Have a 4+ armour save. A 4+ ward save. Will never take more than 1 wound due to battle res. and can remove 1 attack from his opposition. Sound good to me!

Thoughts?

LannyMay

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Scorpion Armour is a waste, taking it means you are expecting to loose combat, so not really a good idea tactically. Enough said on that i think :p If you are going to go with an Armour then choose the SArmour of Ages.
Other 3 items are good.

At 2K i run with just a GW and the Collar.

At higher points i add in the Armour of Ages and Vambraces, and for magical attacks i may look at taking the Sword of Might too, also adding in a Shield for a pretty good all round Lord.

Finally, get those points costs off the iems. Along side the rules too, thats pretty much a direct copywrite violation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was under the impression that magic items to not have any of the rules that would normally go with a similar mundane weapon and as such i am unsure whether you can use the sword of battle with the shield to get teh bonus armor save.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Lannymay, please take a moment to read the forum rules. Posting points costs for upgrades and posting the rules for the item is a breach of those rules.

Also, please tone down the amount of exclamation points.

·
7,143 Posts
Magic weapons cannot be used for a parry bonus to save when used with a shield. Magic Shields are fine though, you can use a mundane HW + magic shield and get an extra +1Sv.

All i meant was that in using the magic weapon over a basic GW, the other hand would be free to carry a shield, hence the increased save. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Scorpion Armour is a waste, taking it means you are expecting to loose combat, so not really a good idea tactically. Enough said on that i think :p
Wouldn't there be merit in giving it to a chariot king, in order to compensate for poor combat resolution on the occasions he's not making impact hits (gets charged, 2nd round of combat, whatever)?

·
7,143 Posts
For it to be effective, you need to lose combat by 4 or more. Thats not good. in a unit of chariots then the chariots will still be taking 2 wounds.

You are far better off just making sure he doesn't get bogged down in combat to begin with. Sometimes that cannot be helped i know, but still, with his attacks and the ones from the charioteers, plus banner and magic banner and whatever ele you have, you really should be loosing by 4.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My King uses a pretty standard torny setup of Destroyer of Eternities and Collar of Shappesh, and he sits in a unit of 19 Tomb Guard with the Icon of Rakaph.

I am not a fan of the 'Flying King'; Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antark and Cloak of the Dunes becuase as Deciever says, it means you are expecting to lose combat, you can't do a flying charge and your general is very venerable, especially he is doing a job meant for Scorpions and Carrion anyway, so what is the point.

If on a Chariot, consider; Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shappesh and maybe Chariot of fire or Icon or Rulership?

Will

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I am a fan of the flying king (Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antark and Cloak of the Dunes) and I think he can be a great party trick, and really effective. His job is not the same as scorpions and carrion IMO, and I do actually expect him to lose combat. Here is why:

Fly him up to the flanks of your opponent's best infantry unit, maybe even stubborn units, then use 'My Will be Done' (or wait a turn if it gets dispelled) to charge in on the flank. He pretty much can't win combat against ranks, banner, outnumber, but he won't lose more than 1 wound to combat res and any wounds he loses he can heal by inflicting wounds. In subsequent turns you can use the spell to attack in the magic phase to help heal another wound, or just eat DD. What does this achieve? It locks his best unit in combat for pretty much the whole game! Then later on, when you are in a good position, you can send in others as reinforcements to destroy the unit, or just ignore it for the whole game. This could work pretty well against heavy cavalry too, since they will get no charge bonus.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My problem with it is that if MWBD doesn't get off, he is sitting out in the open for a turn with a 5+ save, meaning there is a fare chance he will die. If he gets into combat then all well and good, but i still don't think you would be able to do it to the enemies best unit because it will prob. have a character in it, so as soon as you turn lose combat the enemy will turn to face or simply move their character throgh the ranks to be in B2B with you, therefor making it much more possible that your king will die.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With a king i find that the DOE & collar work really well, that can take out any big guys pretty easily along with i unit of TG, the unit is damn scary. I dunno about the flying king, but sounds fun. Anyways you can always Equip him with the flail of skulls, shield of ptra and armour of the ages. Therefore hes invincible in duals, and a really hard hitter. Ive liked that combo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.