Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heylo, folk of LibrOn.

As is normal, about this time of year, I go into my local GW, looking at what they have and chat usually effortlessly with the staff about 40k on any army, since 1) I've usually got the codex for the races, and 2) If I havent got it, then I have at least read it many times over.

However.

It is during one of these talks that I get a pang of regret of not having an army of my own, usually being content to play with my friends' armies, and have a look around at the stuff I like for an army,with a view to getting one.This year's nominations for a new army are...

1) Chaos Space Marines

Love the fluff, and their combat abilities, they look funky AND they're easy to paint. Also offers a wealth of tactics and conversion oppurtunities.

2) Eldar

The coolest looking folk in the game, IMO. Great bog-standard weapon, but *****-poor range. Typically a hard-hitting army, but must be used in a quick lightning strike fashion, and is not suited to attrition (which is admittedly how I like to win battles).

3) Imperial Guard

Tanks. Meatshield..*cough* loads of men. But armed with crap basic weapon.But loads of them, which means that if I just keep battering away at my enemy, eventually they'll fall. However, I'd like to do so before my opponent turns to coal.

Now, I'd like your opinions on this, I'm fairly open to ideas concerning these armies, but the main limiting factor is cash, or rather, the lack of it. Discuss the merits of your chosen army here!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Do you have any personal preference to tactics? Personally I'll of course say Chaos, in terms of fluff it's very easy to give your army and characters a story, and Chaos already has a lot of background as a basis. They're extremely versatile in game terms too, even if you pick a Legion other thant BL, for instance I do a load of completely different things with my Iron Warriors.
Another useful thing: your Champions usually survive the battle, so you don't have to keep writing stories like "Podaga once again got his ass handed to him on a plate, and only just escaped death thanks to the bets Chirumeks the Legion had to offer.".

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yah gotta go wiv da Orks, mean, green, close combat machine...WAAAGH!

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I prefer the tactics of either attrition or firepower. Technically they both are the same, but by attrition I mean hand to hand stuff as well as firepower.

But I am open to any and all schools of thought in this area.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BiD, any comments on your Iron Warriors or other legions?

I'm leaning toward Chaos for the new(er) miniatures.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Here's something taken from another post of mine:
My tactics really differ in each battle, but typically I deploy in a solid firebase with troops at the front and heavy support behind that, on one side are Obliterators and Terminators (I might change that, Oblits are now more vulnerable to lascannons ), on the other I have a mounted squad and a Raptor squad if I use it, that way my opponent has to make a choice between the slow and powerful flank, the fast flank, and the center where most of the firepower comes from, typically this results in the opponent doing no significant damage or going for the fast flank, and by that time the slow element (termies and Obliterators) are very close to his lines whilst the firebase keeps pouring a hail of heavy weapons fire into his most powerful targets.

This is what I usually do, but you can do a lot with Iron Warriors. You can go for shooty all over, with only one or two faster units (for instance a Raptor squad and a mounted tac squad), but you can also mount all your troops in rhinos so they have a more assault-oriented role, and conenctrate the firepower elsewhere (heavy support, Chosen in their 'Havoc' role).
Alternatively you can use a lot of troops with a lascannon in each squad to bust heavy armour, with the rest of the army more mobile and close combat oriented, for instance taking several Dreadnoughts as heavy support, some Possessed as elites (though I don't like Possessed in IW armies to be honest), and maybe some more fast attack than you'd normally take (ie 2 slots).
As I said I usually go for mainly shooty, with some mobile units like one or two mounted squads, and terminators and Obliterators as elites, and believe it or not, I have fought and won battles of attrition against IG, all you have to do is spread your men out so ordnance only kills a few models, and make good use of cover. Usually they cna't bring all their firepower to bear on your army, so you can eliminate one line, move forward a little, and continue with the next (this takes a little practice and some luck though).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eldar

Great fluff
Fast
Shooty
Assaulty
Phycic
Wraithlords
Wraithlords
Warwalkers