Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Spiky
768 Posts
In order :

Kill the lord with ordinance, or 2xToughness weapons such as lascannon or M. Launcher. Teleporting an obliterator near and charge is usualy a good tactic.

Kill the Wraits with heavy bolters, this works nicely.

Go Close combat with necron warriors and use power fists on your champions.

A basic daemon prince with D. Speed or D. Flight can easily take care of a warrior unit in 2 close combat phases. A defiler does great amount of damade in any command squad. Surprisingly, against necrons, rhinos are excellent as they tend to last longer. Don't even try to fight a ranged battle or you'll loose. You have the initiative advantage over necrons, use it. Try to include a Berzerker unit, they are hell for those annoying critters. Terminators are relatively usefull, and if you choose to use them, teleport them behind a necron warrior unit and try to wipe it out fast. As soon as the warriors are out of order, the army will crumble. There is a phase out rule that you should check, it might be very usefull.

Don't worry about the MONOLITH, it's usualy harmless.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
MindRaked had good suggestions. Adding to this, you should include 1-2 hordes of bloodletters. These daemons are virtually custom made for taking down Necron Warriors and will kill on average 8 on the charge.

Regarding Defilers: I've not had good success with this vehicle, but I must admit, it is not the vehicle, but usually the player that discourages me away from it. Necron players seem to fear the Defiler more than anyone else, because they have the most to loose (save for T.S. perhaps) from its ordinance. That said, most Necron players will do whatever they can to taking out Defilers, which, leaves the rest of my army free to cause trouble. On this account the Defiler works very well.

·
389 Posts
Try an infiltrating lord with darkblade and d-speed. That works wonders against necrons. Other than that anything with a power weapon will do nicely, so always upgrade your champs.

Since necrons often stand close together, either because they want to be close to the lord, or because they have teleported a defiler or dreadnougth with plasmacannon will often be able to knock out a lot of models in one shot.

It may be an option to ignore the Monolith, but I would never call it harmless. It can deal a huge amount of damage in the right position, and it can help negate that pie plate that just took out most of a squad of immortals by giving them another WBB roll. All in all destroyers and immortals will usually inflict far more damage to you than the monolith.

Arizzar

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mass troop removal e.g Defiler

Target the lords with r.orb, and tomb spyders then finish them off as suggested earlier with bloodletters

·
Spiky
768 Posts
boydgarrett said:
MindRaked had good suggestions. Adding to this, you should include 1-2 hordes of bloodletters. These daemons are virtually custom made for taking down Necron Warriors and will kill on average 8 on the charge.

Regarding Defilers: I've not had good success with this vehicle, but I must admit, it is not the vehicle, but usually the player that discourages me away from it. Necron players seem to fear the Defiler more than anyone else, because they have the most to loose (save for T.S. perhaps) from its ordinance. That said, most Necron players will do whatever they can to taking out Defilers, which, leaves the rest of my army free to cause trouble. On this account the Defiler works very well.

I can't believe I forgot to tell him about the bloodletter. My bad. Thank for the reminder !!! And I also forget the tomb spider. You must kill it no matter what before it come too close.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
As has already been suggested, use a defiler, but it'd be alot easier to help if you could get a list of what your opponant uses and what their strategy is aswell as a list of your own army

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
S8 weaponry, power weapons all spell doom for necrons. use CC monsters such as possesed rip necrons to shreds.

The defiler is great but don't rely on it (dam them and gauss), use your natural CC abilities to bring them to the heel.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Kill the lord with ordinance, or 2xToughness weapons such as lascannon or M. Launcher. Teleporting an obliterator near and charge is usualy a good tactic.

Two huge glaring mistakes with this.

1) the lord is an IC and can't be targetted unless he is the closest unit...good luck with that, alternatively you can indirect battlecannon fire at him but....

2) The lord is T5...Battle cannons, ML's, LC's won't instakill him.

As mentioned a defiler can cause a lot of havoc for necron troopers but be careful to keep it away from any sort of destroyer, which is undoubably what will be hunting it. I usually dedicate a 2-3 man squad of Heavy D's and they can take out the defiler on my second turn, so be careful.

Bloodletters and a Daemon Prince would help out a lot too but since you likely won't be taking out the res orb as easily as some people have suggested power weapons in your squads will be less useful, though no useless.

Watch out for Tomb Spyders and C'tan, if they have these you may want to invest in some plaguebearers.

Try an infiltrating lord with darkblade and d-speed. That works wonders against necrons. Other than that anything with a power weapon will do nicely, so always upgrade your champs.
Not sure about this but i'm pretty sure that later Versions of the chaos codex prohibit infiltration with D Speed.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Infiltrating + D. Speed= Legal;)

Under the 'infiltrate' section of the armoury, d. speed is not listed as one of the prohibited upgrades. G.W. did not change this with their latest rules revision- thankfully.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Terminators.

I play necrons, and terminators are, to necrons, the warhammer equivalent of someone leaving a flaming envelope of poo on your doorstep and leaving you to try to stamp it out.

They embody all that necrons dislike: good armour save, heavy weapons, power weapons.

If you can, take out any Res Orb Lords first, then any VoD Lords. Also, try to destroy a monolith, if he has one. Good luck with that, though, it's the toughest tank in the game before you get to super heavies...

Then go for his main body of troops to phase him out. Once he has no res orbs any power weapon or Str8 kill will mean no WBB.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you want to win necrons, you have to be prepared for HtH combat.

AVOID THE NECRON SPIDER
it's one of the best inmobilizing units.

demons work fine, bloodletters, flamers of tzeentch & flesh hounds really worked for me

also, a khornate lord equipped with the berzerker glaive & talisman of burning blood can make the difference.

ether lance works fine too

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Arctorius Lensk said:
also, a khornate lord equipped with the berzerker glaive & talisman of burning blood can make the difference.
There's no need to take the talisman, as the glaive already gives the wielder an auto-frenzy. As well, it's alo illegal ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help. ;)
I'll see if I can put this to use this weekend :)

As for the Necron army I usually play; he ALWAYS take the Monolith, and he always take a lot of Destroyers. (I'm really starting to hate those...)

I was thinking of bringing my Bloodthirster, anyone have any experience with him vs. Necron?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If he always takes a monolith and loads of destroyers then you need to mainly ignore these things. These high cost units means that he has a lot less standard necron warriors. Target these as much as you can (with S8+ or power weapons if possible) and make him phase out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
disagree here. if you ignore destroyers they will kill too much for comfort. also they count towards phase out so it helps towards that too. try your best to take out whole units in one turn. may not be an option with massed warriors but with small units of immortals or destroyers its not too hard. as for the monolith there is often nothing to be done but to take it on the chin and ignore it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
farmerralph said:
disagree here. if you ignore destroyers they will kill too much for comfort. also they count towards phase out so it helps towards that too. try your best to take out whole units in one turn. may not be an option with massed warriors but with small units of immortals or destroyers its not too hard. as for the monolith there is often nothing to be done but to take it on the chin and ignore it.

Well spotted - sorry about that - forgot that destroyers count to phase out. Really though, picking a monolith (esp. under 200 point games) is asking to be phased out so go for the soft(er) bits - warriors really.

Advice on taking down whole units is sound - the less WBB rolls they get to make the better.

·
Spiky
768 Posts
Anyway, destroyerz are not that bigger deal. You need a lot of troops to reduce their effect. Concentrate on Warriors. As soon as you are in melee, destroyers won't do anything. It's the same for the monolith. Solution is close combat and power weapons !!! Necrons always strike last unless you're playing Tzeentch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hit the warriors, they are a mandatory liability in any necron army, if something for instance a AP1 or 2 weapon hits a warrior then they are gone and do not get their WBB roll, *unless their is a lord with a res orb*. double str weapons do this to, but unless they are power weapons they get a save. Always aim for the phase out, watchout for the lord or monolith warping necrons out of CC. That could leave you very open.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts