Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. this may seem like moaning.. but i'm having a problem with this new fangled power

High initiative monstrous creatures are essentially nerfed with this rule unless I missunderstand it

As I currently understand this power.. you have to roll under your initiative to not be killed instantly (not to be confused with Instant Death) on a single D6.. However, at least 2 of my Daemons should automatically pass (Keepers of Secrets)

The rule says that monstrous creatures can minus 1 from their roll, but a roll of 6 always fails.. however in all cases regarding Keepers of Secrets that should pass imho.. As a regular KoS has and Initiative of 10 and Zaryaknel (Gargantuan Daemon Lord) has and Initiative of 8.

I am sure there are other examples of high initiative creatures/characters being killed off by this rather overpowered ability..

Have I got this right..

thanks in advance

·
Registered
96 Posts
Exactly the same problem came up at my club. We descided that a roll of a 6 overides the -1 beacuse it says it is always a fail. However, it could be argued that a 6-1 means the 6 has never been rolled.

Another problem is that of elevation. If your rp is high up then jotww has to come at an angle, despite the fluff being it opens up a casym in the ground. This actually significantly nerfs the power.

Anyaway with regards to the whinging- you fail on a 6.Deal with it and be glad he isn't shooting living lightning at u. Note i'm not saying jotww is a bad power but its situational. My normal combos are ll+jotww or mh+jotww.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its probably fine to agree to 'suck it up' in a regular 40k game.. but this power is able to remove gargantuan creatures (with invulnerable saves) with a single shot - hundreds of points wiped out with a choice of wargear, especially when a KoS is well over the Initiative roll.. Personally I feel that is hugely overpowered.. I'd agree to D3 wounds.. similar to D weapons. or perhaps a reroll for any creature / character that has a I > 6.. and of course you'd have to accept the 2nd roll as final

One wonders if they properly playtested this one??

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Actually, Leight, Gargantuan Creatures are immune to psychic powers which don't have a strength value. It says so specifically on page 91 of the Apocalypse book in the first full paragraph under the header Special Rules

In addition, Gargantuan Creatures are immune to Instant Death, so they only take 1 wound from a Destroyer Weapon, not D3. They take D3 wounds when they would otherwise be 'killed automatically' (as with a Force Weapon or an attack that kills as the result of a failed characteristic test) but the rules on page 96 of Apocalypse in the section on Destroyer Weapons, where it says, "If the target is immune to Instant Death, the then destroyer will cause one Wound as normal," make it fairly clear what Destroyer weapons do to Gargantuan Creatures.

So, while JoTWW does wreck your Keeper of Secrets one time out of six, it actually does nothing to Zaraknyel, and Destroyer weapons aren't nearly so rough on him as you have apparently been playing it.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointer.. I should mention that the d3 on gargantuans is a house rule that we've been playing..

That'll teach me for not paying attention to the rules from Appocalypse.. i'll remember that for the next big game in January

Cheers

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Caros: since you didn't actually bother to go read the rules, I'll quote them for you:

"Because of their massive bulk (and multiple brains!), gargantuan creatures are less susceptible to psychic powers. They are not affected by psychic powers (either friendly or enemy) with the exception of those that have a Strength value, which may affect them normally."

Page 91. Apocalypse

Leighjt: Glad to help. And that does seem like a reasonable house rule, in fairness.

Reactions: leighjt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.