Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ph34r:

I have been "out of the game" since the end of the second edition rules. I have decided to pick up 40k again, but a lot has changed since I last played. Granted, the rules are now simplified (albeit oversimplified), but a lot is missing from second edition, mainly soul. It seems that GW decided the best way to make money was to simplify the rules and then make it so you had to buy a lot of troops. It seems that the game has been boiled down to who has the power fists now. Pretty much a power fist will kill mostly anything in the game outright, and even if a model does have T5, it still will penetrate armour. The great character and stories and great design of the codexes (not to mention artwork) is mostly gone now. The only codex that I have seen that is really any good is the new Daemonhunters Codex.

Things I don't like about third edition rules.

Assault Cannon cannot penetrate Space Marine Armor.

Necron Monolith too powerful for 235 points (I shot one with 7 wraithcannons with no effect)

Dark Eldar are next to useless (Yeah, Yeah, they are fast, but give me Orks anyday)

NO SQUATS How can they have orks and not have dwarves!!!!

Warp Spiders totally useless now. Granted I HATED Warp Spiders, but they were cool. They should have just increased the points cost to like 36+ points and had them have the flamer template with S5 AP 5, instead of a S6 AP- What the heck is that all about? What are the Warp Spiders going to kill? A gretchin?!

The Tau are simply the Eldar, albeit not as good.

They Split up the orks into "Feral and Normal," now I can't run my beloved cyboars unless I run a stupid "Feral" Ork army (Although I can run a Three Mega Squiggoths ) :)

They should have left the Carnifex (original 2nd edition model) alone and just made up another "Heavy" for the Tyranids.

No Rules for Electropriests yet!

No Displacer Field (that was one of the coolest things in 40k)

No Vortex Grenade (This is both good and bad)

No Psychic Phase, and Psykers are next to useless now. Granted the Psychic phase needed a MAJOR overhaul, but not eliminated.

Most Character Models are WAY too expensive to be cost effective anymore and you now have to ask permission to use them (double whammy.)

No Shokk Attack Gun

No grenades. (Plain Stupid)

Chaos Defiler: One of the coolest models, ruined by bad rules. They should have made it similar to the monlith, or given it a toughness value like the wraithlords. Yah, it's cheap, but it's also MEGA big and has mediocre armor. It should be able to fire it's BattleCannon on the move, as it is GIGANTIC. The indirect fire ability is stupid.

Necrons. First GW eliminates "double saves" and then reintroduces an entire race who has nothing but double saves. The standard necron trooper is the best model in the entire game. I have killed more vehicles with standard necron warriors than lascannons, wraithguard, rockit launches combined.

But here is my Question, What happenned to Jervis Johnson and Mark Gibbons?!

Mark Gibbons artwork was the greatest and Jervis Johnson just dissappeared.

Where are they at?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to address some of your points:

With their revised rules the Dark Eldar are one of the most powerful armies in the game when led by a competent comander. They become less effective though the bigger the game you play.

The squats are gone because they didn't sell well. They also dont want 40k to become Warhammer in space.

Many Eldar players including myself swear by Warp Spiders. Their guns and speed make them perfect for taking out tanks in their weak rear armour. In addition they are useful for setting up crossfire situations. With an tooled up Exarch Warp Spiders are also highly effective at swinging a close assault, They can jump in where needed with plenty of attacks and when the enemy run they can pursue quickly.

The Tau are nothing like the 3rd edition Eldar. Current Eldar forces excell at close range destruction and swift movement. The Tau are close to the Imperial Guard. The Eldar are also a much more rounded and tacticaly flexiable force than the Tau.

Special Characters were stupidly powerful in 2nd edition. They are useful now but they can't work alone as they used to be able to.

No shokk attak gun; I agree, it's a tragedy.

Grenades are still there are are useful. They add tactical options rather than just chucking about blast templates as before.

And yes the necrons are a tad powerful and warriors are the most useful units in the game. But not invincible.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Also, the squats were copyrighted by a different company to GW. When the company stopped allowing GW to use their copyright, GW had no choice but to withdraw the squats from sale. HEnce why you never hear anything about squats anymore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i never heard that and i was working for GW during the change. what Co. had them? Play the game for a bit it takes some getting used too but this is a far better game. ive been polaying since rogue trader and every edition has gotten better and i for one am looking forward to 5th next year. And boy oh boy Dark Eldar in the hands of a good general and watch out! I agree with the whole Shokk Atakk gun though.... nothing like teleporting units of snotlings INTO somthing. hahah im really gald they got rid of "super charachters" though they seem to be making a come back... ala necrons and daemon princes. what made me sad were the no imperial guard beastmen!!! my beloved IG jump pack units :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
MG has always been my fav GW artist ( for the past ten years infact )
I agree with alot of your points about 3rd ed, that's what I was like when I first played it.

Assault cannon used to be a beast of a weapon ( up to 9 shots a turn )

I had two squads o' spiders when I played 2nd ed which never get used now

Pretty cut they changed the ork list I have a good unpainted core for an ork list that now has to be split into two armies.

never really used displacer fields ( in place of power fields hehehe 2+ invul save )

I miss vortex grenades, they added such a random element to the game, that death was around any corner, especially when both armies took two.

The old psyhic phase was great

characters used to be great but WAY over the top

I don't miss the shokk attak gun one bit, or my mates " rules " for using it

The ol' termie double save was pretty cool

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hey let me remind you all about something...
In the early years of warhammer GW had a competitor...
Warzone...
It was to much competion for GW, so GW bought the firm and closed it down...

No that's dealing with the market...

·
Registered
178 Posts
warzone was around up untill a few years ago. if not more recent GW has been around for like 20 years or somthing. warzone was never any real competion. the rules and figs were never as good as the GW stuff. the only thing it had going and what it was riding on was it wass cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have not been playing for to long but i agree on some points.

d eldar are strong in small games. i have read about the old grenades and agree with the new rules for them. no extra temp to use and can attack in cover troops.
krak for tanks. i hate the assualt rules though. used to be that i couldn't lose so many in one turn before hitting back.

please post old rules for void and displace so i can compare them. another reason for not enought fluff pictures is they are owned by independant artists. the contracts may have exspired.

but i would miss super power characters. ( but thats what necromunda for).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I personally think that the new generation of artists )Smith and the Kopinskis in particular) Offer far more scope into 40k and fantasy than the old artists did, with the exception of Gibbons, his stuff owned

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Jervis is head of the Fanatic games section of GW.

Dead Monkeys, did you get that message I sent you earlier? Another rule that you've broken, no offensive language. Consider yourself warned, friend.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mike McVey. Where did he go? Remember the head figure painter and multiple GD award winner? Undoubtedly one of the better painters I have ever seen - he created spectacular effects even by today's standards only the epoch he did it in considered what would now be a mediocre job to be good. (That makes sense to me but probably won't to anyone else...)

Then again I don't get WD anymore so he might still be working for GW for all I know.

Also who was that head figure painter before McVey? You know the stout one with the ginger hair and unkempt ginger beard back in the late 80's? He was good in the day too - good conceptual artist too. Damn can't remember his name, he's prolly ancient now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The story of Mike McVey...

"Mike you sclupting sucks, go back to painting"

*Mike McVey leaves GW*

Thats pretty much it...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why was this post even dug up!? Look at the freakin dates... I'll leave it open for now, but if I see any more stupid comments in it this will be locked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.