Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! My name is Joey and I'm totally new to Warhammer Fantasy and I was immediately drawn to the wood elves due to their awesome models, lore and wide range of colour schemes. I’m trying to get a feel for the hobby and have decided to document my experiences from buying my first box of Warhammer ever (a Wood Elf Battalion) through all the stages of planning, assembling, painting and battling right up to the final goal of entering a tournament and attending Games Day!

I’m certainly no expert in any of this, having no artist skills or ventured into any sort of strategy game like this before but I think whatever the outcome it will be an interesting experience. I would be happy for anyone’s thoughts, feedback, encouragement or (constructive :p) criticism, both with my modelling & painting, along with the general idea of a “start to finish” documentary of the building of an army by a total beginner through to the final stages of battling!

UPDATE:

:D Thanks for all the positive feedback so far! :D

I'm going to use this post as the archive for finding videos. Please choose your episode below!

#1: Warhammer Joey Introduction.
#2: Forum Feedback.
#3: Spellsinger Painting.
#4: 1000 Point Army List.
#5: Buildin' Treekin.
#6: Paintin' Treekin.
#7: Battle Report - Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings.
#8: Got Wood!
#9: Morgan Treeman.

·
4,361 Posts
Awesome project. Love to see how your army progresses. The wood elves do have some great looking models. I will be looking forward to the next installment.

And welcome to LO. Glad you are doing it here so I can see how it progresses.

SirKently

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the kind welcome.
Feel free to comment on the youtube page or on here if you have any tips or pointers to add for me. I'll post some pictures on here of my progress along with links to new videos.
I'm aiming to do it weekly but with enough time to paint and film too. Hopefully get a better camera in the process :D

Here's a shot of the current battalion assembled and ready to be painted. A long way to go yet.

Joey

Attachments

·
877 Posts
Welcome,

First off I have to say that for not having painted or built models before you did pretty well on your dryads. Also made a good call doing them first as they tend to have fewer colors than elves do, and less tricky when not painting flesh.

Advice on modeling would be if you want to try your hand at sculpting with green stuff you can save a fair amount of money by using glade rider models with extra bits from your glade guard to make wild riders. Also for making the trays for skirmish units like your dryads it looks as if you have dividers between the bases it may be better to not have that so that when they do fight you can just slide them together. (Though they are skirmisher they rank up to see who does fight in combat, even if they don't gain the benefits of ranks.)

As far as playing goes, you should post the army you want to field in the list section for people to give advice on. Also wood elves have always been a tough army to learn to play as they use totally different tactics than the other fantasy armies. So don't give up if you lose a bunch of games early on. One key to the game which is doubly important for wood elves is even if you don't, you have to make your opponent believe you control the flow of game. This means playing more of a head game with the opponent not necessarily just killing their units on the field.

Anyways good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! :)

I'd suggest a healthy dose of extra Glade Guard for your army going forward, as some of the more impressive uses of Wood Elves I've seen have involved them, in various small (read: 10-man units) with a "big" unit of 20 or so, which is where your characters sit. Quite a tough army to get points out of, because they're all over the place. Some Dryads are also welcome, because they're pretty good at standing between your Guard and the enemy. I can provide a nice list I've read and worked on as well, if you like.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Welcome to LO. Your project seems pretty awesome, I'll definitely follow along, either here or on Youtube. I wish more people would do video-diaries/logs like this to keep track of their army. Perhaps when I start in on my Guard or Empire, I'll invest in a nice enough camera to do the same.

Wood Elves are definitely an uphill battle. Their book is 2 editions old now, and those intervening years haven't been kind to them. They were awesome back in 6th edition, but now you need to play a very close game. I still consider them one of the best beginner armies though, because they teach you the game, and you learn a lot about strategy, rather than the traditional beginner's army being one that's "easy to play".

I'm sure you'll be able to handle though - you managed to make it through being the only girl in the gamestore, haha. Don't be discouraged if the Wood Elf forum seems a little slow, a lot of us have second or third armies on top of WE, but we'll stop in to help whenever we see new posts.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I wish more people would do video-diaries/logs like this to keep track of their army. Perhaps when I start in on my Guard or Empire, I'll invest in a nice enough camera to do the same.
I can't see anyone watching a Video of me rambling on about my armies. At least not in a serious way ;)......... I swear to much anyway.

JoeyBerry:
First off, dear god, why Elves? Secondly the models you've done look really nice. One suggestion though is to give a bit more attention to those movement trays, especially the Dryads. As they are they're big spaces that are pretty much 'empty'. Adding some pieces of slate painted to look like rocks and maybe some broken tree branches, small trees or shrubbery! (perhaps with a little path running down the middle?) would help make the army a bit more 'showy' and give them the feel like they're stalking through the woods. The only other suggestion I have is to nail them all to Chaos stars.

(Dear god, my first post in the Wood Smurf Boards.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I can't see anyone watching a Video of me rambling on about my armies. At least not in a serious way ;)......... I swear to much anyway.

JoeyBerry:
First off, dear god, why Elves? Secondly the models you've done look really nice. One suggestion though is to give a bit more attention to those movement trays, especially the Dryads. As they are they're big spaces that are pretty much 'empty'. Adding some pieces of slate painted to look like rocks and maybe some broken tree branches, small trees or shrubbery! (perhaps with a little path running down the middle?) would help make the army a bit more 'showy' and give them the feel like they're stalking through the woods. The only other suggestion I have is to nail them all to Chaos stars.

(Dear god, my first post in the Wood Smurf Boards.)
Oh no- am I already adhering to gender stereotypes by choosing wood elves? It was an innocent mistake-I didn't know! .... Should have chosen ogre kingdoms.
Yes actually I see your point about the trays I will get some better pictures tomorrow along with a short video hopefully you can see the foliage a bit better- they don't look as bare as they appear to on the crappy pictures. The path running down the middle I have done with the cavalry/glade riders? It looks good- pictures again I'll post tomorrow.
I'll be doing different armies once I've mastered the wood elves ( :S ) Any suggestions as to what to do next?
Also what are chaos stars? (still new don't judge me!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the woods, I hope the forum gets a little livelier during this, it has been pretty dead as of late, except for that one topic on our new book and when it is going to come out.

As the other guys has already said it is a tough army, I got my butt whooped the first couple of years, however I win more games than I lose now :)

The Dryads look better than any I've ever painted, which doesn't say a lot. Personally, I think I would have waited to paint the Spellsinger until later. Heroes should be the best painted figures in your army, which it might not be if you use it to test different techniques on. I think I would have done a couple of Glade Guard first.

I believe a chaos star is some sort of pentagram for summoning demons, just guessing, but sounds like it from the context :)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hey, it's alright - it's a gender stereotype sure, but at least you didn't stick pixie wings on them like some people have.
You seem to have wanted to pick Ogres, you could always run them next. That, or figure out what it is you enjoy about the Wood Elves and look for an army that does better with that facet of the game. Beastmen could be fun, as they are the arch-nemesis of the Wood Elves, or Dwarfs, who are the exact opposite playstyle.

Or you could do Lord Borak and I proud and come over to the side of Chaos!

^that happens to be a Chaos Star. It's not just a Warhammer symbol, but in Warhammer it is the sign for Chaos Undivided, representing the 4 Gods of Chaos. Pretty much the ultimate bad-guys in the game, encompassing Daemons (Demons), the barbarian Warriors who sold their souls to them, and the hapless Beastmen who have been mutated by their very existence. As Borak pointed out, they have a nasty habit of using their enemies as banners...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there, first off I would like to say, very nice job on the Dryads. Especially for your first time painting. From what i saw while working at Games Workshop here in Australia, alot of first time painters tend to put the paint on in thick layers to make sure its nice and oapaque, therefore clogging up detail, wich you didnt do, I noticed. Very Impressive. Did you paint them at home or at a Games Workshop Store? Im not sure about over in the UK, but here, hobbyists are more than welcome to come in whenever they need help and advice, and thats the main tip I can provide you.

As far as everyone ripping on the Wood Elves, bah to you!! I have a large army, and I know that 8th edition has taken away a whole bunch of tricks and whatnot, but Wood Elves are still the best army in the game for shooting the enemy down. I had a game against Ogres the other day and won by focusing fire every turn until he had one unit of Bulls left, wich my Treekin and Treeman took out. I love my Wood Elves, and always will kick ass with them (or at least try to).

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well, welcome to the woods =D

I started with Wood Elves as well and I don't really regret anything. Sure, some other armies have giant cool monsters, but us Elves get a certain satisfaction from winning that you just can't get anywhere else. You should be warned that Glade Riders are a setup for disappointment. They cost too much, do too little, and are generally best converted into Wild Riders, which are much better at everything but shooting (Not that GR shooting is stellar =P). The conversions are actually really easy (I used sword arms from my Glade Guards and made some spears out of pinning wire). Some other things to look into getting are Eagles and Treekin, the latter of which can make for a fun conversion project out of dryads if you can get some 40mm bases.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I love the Wood Elves, I've been renovating my own old figures for a while now.

For some inspiration you (and everyone) should check out the film "Pan's Labyrinth". It really shows how forest spirits can be dark and beautiful at the same time. I think the GW dryads are based on the fawn character so if you like them it's certainly worth checking out for inspiration (and for a cool story too).

The Autumn theme is something I really like. I did some of my early troops in browns after being inspired by an amazing White Dwarf article from years ago. I think the army book also has some really nice ideas for different seasons. If you're painting the models in reds and browns then the complimentary colour will be blue. If you paint the banners and other points of detail in a pale blue (e.g. shadow grey/ice blue) that should make a really nice contrast.

The bases are the key though. Basecrafts does a really nice set of basing materials for a pretty reasonable price (about £12 including postage). It comes with enough to do an entire army and their autumn set would fit your army a treat:
Autumn Basing Kit

The pot of pigment + the different bits and bobs are so easy to use and would give an amazing finish to your army. Having actual (miniature) leaves and other forest scatterings is such a step beyond what GW basing materials can achieve and with the scenic movement trays I think you could create something really nice.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Oh no- am I already adhering to gender stereotypes by choosing wood elves? It was an innocent mistake-I didn't know! .... Should have chosen ogre kingdoms.
Yes actually I see your point about the trays I will get some better pictures tomorrow along with a short video hopefully you can see the foliage a bit better- they don't look as bare as they appear to on the crappy pictures. The path running down the middle I have done with the cavalry/glade riders? It looks good- pictures again I'll post tomorrow.
I'll be doing different armies once I've mastered the wood elves ( :S ) Any suggestions as to what to do next?
Also what are chaos stars? (still new don't judge me!)
To be honest I'm not so sure about the Gender stereotypes. I just thought all people who collected Elves had long hair..... Or is that all people with long hair collected Elves? Who knows! One for the theorists I think. As for what next. There'd be two factors on what I'd choose for my next army.

1] I would take something that plays completely different. Luckily that's most of the armies as the WE 'game play' is pretty unique in that they all run around on their own (skirmish) where as most armies used 'regiments'. Ogres would be very different as they're Dim, crude, brutal and uncivilised (like people from Bedford). Or there's Orcs who just like pounding face who, in turn are very much like Chaos who also like pounding face.

2] Lastly, I'd go for what 'looks cool'. There's no point in doing an army that you don't like the look of. It's the reason I've played Chaos for almost 20 years (yes I'm old and crusty)

Or you could do Lord Borak and I proud and come over to the side of Chaos! As Borak pointed out, they have a nasty habit of using their enemies as banners...
It's not nasty. It's fashionable. It's also recycling. So in a way it's good for the environment too. See how misunderstood Chaos guys are? We really are nice people.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the great feedback everyone. Here are some better photos of the Dryads!

leaves dryad.jpg Treevous.jpg whole group.jpg

The whole group, General Treevous! (four arms!) and I really like how the leaves came out on the last one. I added an extra set of branches to his back!

I'll be doing a 2nd video tonight with all the info I've picked up from your amazing feedback and my trip to Games Workshop today. - My first little battle with My Wood Elves vs some Goblins!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[video=youtube;QxE6aY8wvy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxE6aY8wvy4[/video]

New video is up- just about the overwhelming positive feedback I've had and my battle today. Hope you enjoy :)

·
has a ca-fading facade
518 Posts
Welcome to the forums, nice to see a fresh face and thread! I like your style- you're like the Alex Ovechkin of Warhammer, you seem so bright-eyed and excited about it all which is really how I like to see the hobby, as pure enjoyment factor. Any chance you'd elaborate on how your game went so we can get you winning some games?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forums, nice to see a fresh face and thread! I like your style- you're like the Alex Ovechkin of Warhammer, you seem so bright-eyed and excited about it all which is really how I like to see the hobby, as pure enjoyment factor. Any chance you'd elaborate on how your game went so we can get you winning some games?
Alex Ovechkin? I'm hoping it's a good thing :D

As for my win- It was because I tried to play it clever and keep my dryads back till I dispelled a cloak of fire which was on the largest goblin unit I wanted to take out- and then attack with them.
What happened was I took out two goblin units with my cavalry and shot down a chariot when I used tree singer to plant the woods on top of it and took two or three turns relentlessly shooting it down. (Also found out I'm unlucky with the dice)
I found my self being a bit scared to try anything too offensive with anything but the cavalry.
I won though but I think it was in my favour with goblins being afraid of elves. Learnt a great deal though. Mainly that goblins seem a bit rubbish.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
WHAT?!

"it was against Goblins though. Which isn´t much of a win. "

Yeah you picked the right army allright. But i want to see pictures of the Goblins too.
The Dryads are nice. 's not goblins but they still look very nice.

Good luck painting the other pointy-ears, dont forget to show pictures we love pictures!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because of the racial talent (?) of being afraid of elves. :D... but yeah it was an easy win.
I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the shop really, they were getting edgy about it. But I will get some more up :)

1 - 20 of 157 Posts