Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bit of a debate going on about the Sharpshooters doctrine.
When our group read it, we took it to be once per game, each model could make a single re roll, once per game, if a 1 was rolled. (We do know a re roll can't itself be re rolled). This lead to a bit of book keeping as the numbers of re rolls used had to be tracked for each squad.

But I read something in the forum that made me think I'd got this wrong. What is it's exact effect ? I'm thinking of using it in a tournament army, so would like to know.

Advice appreciated.

· Registered
586 Posts
No bookkeeping at all. In a sharpshooters unit, every time a one is rolled to hit, it may be rerolled. If the reroll comes up a one, it may not be rerolled again.

It's an okay doctrine choice, but it costs exactly what it ought to in terms of fire output. Generally, you're better spending points on more troops, although SS can be good in units that feature lots of heavy/special weapons as it is balanced specifically for lasgun-equipped troopers.

· Son of LO
2,574 Posts
The math of this doctrine says that it's better to just put more guardsmen in your army. The reality of it, though, is that when I put it on my Heavy Weapons teams it has saved my ass many many times over. I will almost always take this doctrine.

Now just like Freely said, if you roll any ones then you get to reroll them all. Just remember that you cannot reroll a reroll so if they are ones again, then you just need to burn those dice as an example to the others...... or put them in a pile labeled "leadership tests".

643 Posts
It should also be noted that sharpshooters dosen't allow you to re-roll 1s on Plasmaguns or Sniper Rifles. So it can't be used to wriggle out of an overheat or to get a sniper that never misses!

I would agree that this doctrine costs exacly what it should in a 10-man squad. However, I don't think it is worth even a single point to upgrade a guardsmen carrying a lasgun. This should be reserved only for squads that have the majority of their firepower in heavy or special weapons (ie. Heavy weapons squads in particular).

Put this doctrine on a Heavy Bolter squad and the odds say you will be re-rolling 1.5 misses per turn!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.