Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided my 40K army will be space marines. I also play fantasy and always start out at 500pts with an army. I've already got the codex, but this is my 1st ever 40K army, so I'm new to the whole weapons thing. I want to include a lot of marines in my 500pts army, and was thinking of buying a command squad and 2 tactical squad boxes. With upgrades, this will be about 500pts. The only thing is I have no idea what to arm them with. Help on this is welcome as are good sample 500pt army lists with a good number of marines 8Y

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
I've decided my 40K army will be space marines. I also play fantasy and always start out at 500pts with an army. I've already got the codex, but this is my 1st ever 40K army, so I'm new to the whole weapons thing. I want to include a lot of marines in my 500pts army, and was thinking of buying a command squad and 2 tactical squad boxes. With upgrades, this will be about 500pts. The only thing is I have no idea what to arm them with. Help on this is welcome as are good sample 500pt army lists with a good number of marines 8Y
Well the 2 troops choices, and the command squad box is standard organization. So that is one way to go. For 500 points that is around that if you have a command squad or just a commander with upgrades.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Assuming you're not playing any sort of really fancy Chapter you'd be best to go with something like the following:

Tactical Squad
Veteran Sergeant
- Bolt pistol
- Power fist
9 Space Marines
- 1 with melta/plasma gun
- 1 with lascannon/missile launcher
- 7 with bolters

Get a couple of units like these and then a Librarian or Chaplain to lead your army. That'll take you past the 500 point mark and you'll have a nice, solid core to your army.

A lot of people will advise that you take smaller Tactical Squads but I've always found that larger squads tend to do better on the tabletop - not to mention they fit in with the fluff better.

Good luck,

Katie D

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Katie's got it pretty well spot on. Simple, chunky blocks of Tactical Marines are your best foundation.

You can cram 2 full Tactical squads, a decent command character (100 to 150 points), and some squad upgrades into 500 points pretty nicely. Varying from that, you could up that to 3 nearly full squads, a cheap commander and minimum upgrades, or 2 full squads, a lightweight commander, and somewhat extensive upgrades.

All the other fancy toys tend to price themselves out of the 500 point level, although a Landspeeder can fit in for a decent price and adds some interesting options.

Beyond that, you seem to mostly have issues with 40K guns and gear, so here's the quick facts.

Rapid fire weapons fire once at full range if you stand still, or twice at 12 inches no matter what. You can't assault afterward.

Heavy weapons must stand still to shoot - they're too big to use on the move. Also no assaulting afterward, unless you've got a special rule or are a Dreadnought.

Assault weapons are your shoot from the hip types. Always fire to full effect, running or not. You can still assault afterward.

Pistols always fire once, or twice if you stand still. You can assault, and they count as extra weapons in combat.

Bolters: your basic guns, and your real game winners. A good, solid, mid-strength weapon, they're the 2nd best basic Infantry gun in the game, with the best basic infantry firing them.

Melta weapons: short ranged heat rays that pack a serious punch. Very strong, they'll slice straight through any standard armour, Instantly kill T4 or lower characters, and at short range they're lethal to tanks.

Plasma weapons: power and performance, with a risk. Longer range than Meltas for slightly less strength. Still punch through normal armour and the Cannon fires small blast templates, but they're unstable and have a chance of hurting the shooter as well!

Flamers: burn baby, burn! Last moment assault weapons, these aren't overly powerful, but they automatically hit anything under the template. Devastating to close packed, lightweight troops.

Lascannons: giant laser cannons. These are exceedingly powerful, punching through armour from long range. A choice weapon for killing heavy tanks, they tend to be costly.

Missile Launchers: jack of all trades. Long range, low cost, and either a mid strength blast or a high strength single hit that goes through all but the heaviest armour.

Heavy Bolters: fairly strong, multiple shots with good range. Anything lighter than a Marine just falls to pieces.

Assault Cannon: heavy gatling cannon. average range, lots of shots, good strength. A lucky burst can rip through nearly anything, trooper or tank.

Power Weapons: combat weapons that carve straight through standard armour. Cheap and effective.

Lightning Claws: power weapons that re-roll wounds. Best used in pairs. Expensive, but really cool.

Powerfists/Chainfists/Thunder Hammers: the heavy hitters. Power weapons that double your strength. They have to go last in combat, but they're a massive threat to EVERYTHING. Chainfists are extra powerful against tanks, and Hammers have a powerful stun effect. Expensive, but very powerful.

Grenades: frags help you assault into cover, Kraks are a weak anti-tank weapon, Meltabombs are much more powerful tank busters.

That's the basics on most of your common gear. Have a good look through the core rulebook's shooting and assault sections for more, and check the Marine codex armoury for specific details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.