Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run two Great Eagles in my list as I think they're awesome flank harassing units that march block and cause all sorts of panic in my opponents. Problem is, I tend to panic when I see them gunned down so easily.

It could be due to the fact that between my last three games, I've faced eight Repeater Bolt Throwers and two Organs Guns. GULP.

I just have a real problem keeping them alive long enough to get stuck in with warmachines. I line up the charge, but the turn I have to wait before I can declare charges usually sees them turned to feathers.

What I'd like to know is, do any of you guys have any tips for me with regards to keeping them alive?

Much appreciated!

Q

:C

·
Registered
278 Posts
I not sure anything is garanteed keep them alive long enough to charge against that sort of firepower, however when i use two great eagles i usually send them down the same flank to charge the same war machine with enough sepparation so that it and any nearby missile regiments cant target both so at least one gets to charge. however knowing your list i would have thought magic could be of some help in this if you pick the right lore and with your list you certainly have enough mages to taylor your magic to you opponent. the commandments of brass, howler wind (RBt's multiple shots are only strength 4) and master of stone (most artilery is set up on a hill) spring to mind

·
2,244 Posts
Howler wind no longer stops warmachine fire at all.

I have a similar problem but I figure that it is a turn of shooting that the rest of the army doesn't have to deal with.

You could try a dragon mage to draw the fire off the eagles that may work for the turn the eagles need.;)

What Aenar said is spot on though both down one flank and make him choose which one to kill especially try and be 19" from any Organ gun, if possible use magical charges (Shadows and Beasts). There are no quick fixes however and no sure things in Warhammer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Quannum I'm not sure if your a big fan of them but i find that a small unit of Shadow Warriors combined with the Skiensliver to help me get the first turn helps keep my eagles alive a little longer.
This way I can be harassing the enemy war machines from the 1st turn whilst I move my Eagles up the flank for their attack.
Also as someone else has noted it seems like you like to go with magic heavy armies so there are enough spells out there to either protect the Eagles or negate the enemies shooting. Life and Metal spring to mind.

In all fairness I don't think that there is too much out there that would have protected you from 8 RBT or two Organ guns but don't give up on the Eagles. They really are a HE or WE best friend.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
dead eagles = live elves. Would you like to lose a xx pt eagle or 4-5 swordmasters or dragon princes? RBTs are the best thing I've found to take out warmachines. But it usually takes 2 turns to do it. Hopefully, the enemy sees that I'm trying to take out their warmachines and starts shooting at mine instead of my expensive troops.

Most people will let you put a 5+ward on your eagle as well. So magic heavy does have some advantages. Eagles are usually bad at taking out warmachines (they never hit/kill anything) so that's usually the job of my fast cav. The eagles stall units and warmachine crews from shooting.

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
As i regularly battle a rather shooty DE opponent and some dwarfs (!!) I field two units of SM and two eagles.

Turn 1
My opponents both direct all fire at my swordmasters so my eagles live.

Turn 2
Eagles take out warmachines and SWs charge missile troops.

Really effective;Y

1 - 6 of 6 Posts