Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting into WarMachine lately and I've settled on Khador. Now I've never been one for using any sort of given paint scheme. I like to come up with my own.

Khador seem to favour red and have a sort of USSR flavour to them(which I quite like). I don't want to go all red like the models on the box/website. obv red will be a part of it where applicable(insignia pretty and details pretty much) but i want to do something cool.

i want to focus on the ice and wintery aspects that seem to be represented in the Khador. I mostly use GW paints.

i was considering a dark blue base with icy blue over top on the armored bits with red bands on the flat armour pieces. ideally id like an almost glacial look to them.

anyone got any other ideas?

·
1,053 Posts
Sounds good on paper but I would have to see the idea in use to give my input.

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that I don't like the Beast 09 colour scheme, its cool. just not what im going for.

are there any blank templates of PP models? like on the GW site there used to be these pictures of spacemarines you could colour in to see colour schemes. is there something like that for khador warjacks?

i had another idea in a dream last night, and that was to go sort of black with purple/blue lightning on various bits..almost a 40k slaaneshi colour scheme. obv without the horrific rape-tentacles, big crab claws and other horrible things.

i dunno. feel free to suggest ideas that don't fit in with what i was talking about above. Beast09 is not what im really looking for, but something else might be :p

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Yeah the colour scheme I'm talking about is not a bone-y as Beast. A lot more white. And really nice. Get a look in Superiority if you get the chance.

I dunno about that other scheme... IMO Khador is the most militaristic of the WM factions and their models benefit from solid, matt colours. I've seen black/really dark grey Khador as well, it looked very nice. Blue colours make them look far to Cygnar-ish if you ask me.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I do like the blues that you have thought of but blue is a very lively colour when it is placed alongside red (unless it's very dark blue and dark red) and that may not give you the USSR feel you want. You could try to use grey on them. Grey will help to imply the cold feel and the USSR feel, the soviets did have a thing for concrete. The grey will seem tough and look imposing when they are set up together. Grey will also go well with the red details.

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do like the blues that you have thought of but blue is a very lively colour when it is placed alongside red (unless it's very dark blue and dark red) and that may not give you the USSR feel you want. You could try to use grey on them. Grey will help to imply the cold feel and the USSR feel, the soviets did have a thing for concrete. The grey will seem tough and look imposing when they are set up together. Grey will also go well with the red details.
Grey is cool and i would go that route except i can never get the desired effect from grey. If I do grey i want the colour of Wet Slate(which is almost black i guess). i have no idea how to achieve that?

Yeah the colour scheme I'm talking about is not a bone-y as Beast. A lot more white. And really nice. Get a look in Superiority if you get the chance.

I dunno about that other scheme... IMO Khador is the most militaristic of the WM factions and their models benefit from solid, matt colours. I've seen black/really dark grey Khador as well, it looked very nice. Blue colours make them look far to Cygnar-ish if you ask me.
I am abandoning the blue and purple. I like Leeches idea of gray, and i know from my IG that grey and white can go well together. and -t's *********** armor tut is up so that would be handy. white grey and red.

thats it yeah

White, Grey and Red. my menoth playing friend can go screw himself LOL.

So, now I need tutorials or at least some advice.

For the greys I want wet and dry slate colours

and shale

that industrial stone colour.

as for the whites. they will be sparingly used and -t's tutorial is enough for that.

for the reds. i like the sort of candied red of the Red Stripe beer label

Diagonal Bands of Candied red across the large flat surfaces on the warjacks sounds like it could be cool.
i can devise a system to use it as Rank information (like chevrons)

as for the back/guts/innerds. I am definitely want to go with a burnished brass colour. like used bullets

any tutorials for any of this sort of stuff, or just general advice for getting these effects would be very helpful.

oh, and they will definitely be on snow bases since I have a great way of doing snow.

Thoughts?

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I was considering a dark blue base with icy blue over top on the armored bits with red bands on the flat armour pieces. ideally id like an almost glacial look to them.
I quite like the idea behind this scheme, the idea of concentrating on the icy aspects of Khador. If you really put some effort in with a scheme like this, you could potentially get it to look like everyone was armoured in sheets of ice, which would look awesome!

Are there any blank templates of PP models? like on the GW site there used to be these pictures of space marines you could colour in to see colour schemes. is there something like that for khador warjacks?
I haven't seen anything like this - I'm not sure if you'd be able to find something on the Privateer Press forums, or whether it's something you'd be able to work out from a photo or something...

I had another idea in a dream last night, and that was to go sort of black with purple/blue lightning on various bits..almost a 40k slaaneshi colour scheme.
I'm not so sure this scheme would work as well as the ice one you've through of, although it does kind of sound interesting.

Would it be worth painting up some spare models (not necessarily Warmachine ones) in your proposed colour schemes, just to work out what you like and what works best?

EDIT: Sorry, this is a bit out of sequence now as people have posted while I was typing this, but I'll leave it in regardless.

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I quite like the idea behind this scheme, the idea of concentrating on the icy aspects of Khador. If you really put some effort in with a scheme like this, you could potentially get it to look like everyone was armoured in sheets of ice, which would look awesome!
Yeah that was what i was seeing in my head. i guess i could make some molds and poor water effects into them to make clear sheets...that would be cool, but im not to great at sculpting.

I haven't seen anything like this - I'm not sure if you'd be able to find something on the Privateer Press forums, or whether it's something you'd be able to work out from a photo or something...
ill check there.

I'm not so sure this scheme would work as well as the ice one you've through of, although it does kind of sound interesting.

Would it be worth painting up some spare models (not necessarily Warmachine ones) in your proposed colour schemes, just to work out what you like and what works best?

EDIT: Sorry, this is a bit out of sequence now as people have posted while I was typing this, but I'll leave it in regardless.
Yeah def abandoning the slaanesh inspired colour scheme idea. ive got an unpainted basilisk sitting around that might be good for getting a feel for the size of the jacks.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I was thinking just making their armour look like it's made of ice, not anything that would need additional sculpting - maybe an Ice Blue (or slightly darker) base, and streaks of lighter blue over the top of that.

Was just trying to find an example pic or something, and I stumbled across this - apparently a painted floor for a TV ad or something...

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking just making their armour look like it's made of ice, not anything that would need additional sculpting - maybe an Ice Blue (or slightly darker) base, and streaks of lighter blue over the top of that.

Was just trying to find an example pic or something, and I stumbled across this - apparently a painted floor for a TV ad or something...
(pic cut)
Those look cool but i don't think it would give the effect of making it look like ice on the models. if im gonna do the coated in ice thing i gotta go all the way.

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking now a mix of what i was saying earlier with the stone and candy red. but mixed in with that some WWII fighter-plane-style paint jobs.

i think this adds a sort of down to earth feel to the army. ill have to repurpose some of the decal concepts for a mostly icebound nation. maybe bear jaws instead of the sharklike jaws or something.

has anyone done this sort of freehand before, any tips? must be some orc players reading:p

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Grey is cool and i would go that route except i can never get the desired effect from grey. If I do grey i want the colour of Wet Slate(which is almost black i guess). i have no idea how to achieve that?
Try mixing a bit of Dark angels green in with the grey and then a little black too. This will make it darker but also closer to slate which is not entirely grey. The extra green will have only a slight effect but it will make it change a bit. As an alternative you could think about very light grey with white highlights, though that may look too bright.

·
Daughter of Man
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try mixing a bit of Dark angels green in with the grey and then a little black too. This will make it darker but also closer to slate which is not entirely grey. The extra green will have only a slight effect but it will make it change a bit. As an alternative you could think about very light grey with white highlights, though that may look too bright.
I considered light grey with white highlights but decided that it was indeed too bright.

the dark angels green idea i like alot. the other thing i notice about the slate is that it has veins in it. id like to capture this effect. would the best bet be super thing lines of super vibrant colours and then maybe a blackink/boltgun/water wash mix over top...

at any rate, today i went to the hobby shop and got all stocked up to get going. New brush, new pinning set, new files. i picked up a Berserker, a Spriggan(my favourite warmachine model), and the second variant of prince Vladimir. Also grabbed the MKII prime book and the khador book. and the faction deck(although the wrong edition(MKII, not 2010), have to return that).

needless to say ive got some reading ahead of me, though my desktop pc exploded today so i should be significantly less distracted lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts