Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Simple enough question. Kharibdyss or Hydra? If you had to choose one over the other.

On the one hand you get a better WS, better Initiative, must reroll successful Ld tests in base contact and S7 attacks that remain at 5, and if all your attacks hit the same target you get bonus damage.

On the other you have a new regen that could see you gain back wounds as long as you can survive 2 rounds of combat, and the potential to BUY a ranged attack, more attacks to begin with (3+ the number of wounds you have left), but both cost the same points. I am leaning toward the Kharibdyss.

The fact that it is rare also means I am freeing up points for other special choices I might want like BG, RBT, COK+COC, etc.

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Sound decision-making really. The Hydra certainly has a place now, I just can't really see it making a space in any of my lists. The shooting attack is good, but I'm not sure if it's worth as much as the Breath Weapon. The Kharibdyss though, I think, is a really well priced monster. 5 S7 Poisoned attacks with the potential for more against a single target, decent save, good I for a monster... I'd almost class it as a monster-hunting monster, due to its benefits for attacking a single target and comparatively high Initiative.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
S7 poison is just awesome. Used him the first time in a few games this weekend and he was startlingly effective. Several things that would have been problematic for my army handily evaporated when I made some long-bomb charge rolls with him.

Competing for points in Special doesn't seem like an issue at 2,000 pts. At 3,000 it could start to matter.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
sadly i think your wrong there is so much in special i will take before a hydra and i think the kharilbdyss is better states wise i don't think the breath weapon or range is worth the points

·
Registered
620 Posts
If I had to pick one with a gun at my head I'd probably go for the Kharibdyss, purely because of the sheer number of special choices we have mean we can live without Hydras (although in the previous book I could live without Hydras quite happily anyway).

When you look at them the Hydra leans towards chomping through infantry while the Kharibdyss leans towards chomping other monsters and even knights. The extra 2 points of strength are kinda wasted against T3 infantry, but it gains an advantage over the Hydra against T4, and poisoned attacks happily mean we don't have to worry about rolling 1's to wound.

Yeah, I'd go with the Kharibdyss.

Slightly off topic here, but I'm curious. Would you take the Kharibdyss over Doomfire Warlocks?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You can fit 2 kharibdyss and doom fire warlocks which I was thinking of doing with a lvl 4 not sure what lore but the list will look something like

Lvl4

30 spears

10 dark riders 2 units of 5 chalf

5 cold knights

2 chariots

2 units of 15 excutioners

2 kharibdyss

5 doomlock

At 2000k that's a lot of hurt

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
sadly i think your wrong there is so much in special i will take before a hydra and i think the kharilbdyss is better states wise i don't think the breath weapon or range is worth the points
I meant it's not an issue in that by the time you've paid your 500 for core, and the practical auto-includes of L4 sorceress and doomfire warlocks, the only way you're going to have much over 1,000 free anyway is if you don't take a BSB (which is a viable option.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I wouldn't call Supreme Sorceresses and Doomfire Warlocks auto-includes. The term "Auto-include" tends to imply that if you don't take them you'd lose. That simply isn't the case. I have yet to take Doomfire Warlocks and I have 3 wins and a draw with the new book (two of the wins did have a level 4, with the Lores Dark Magic and Beasts).

Kudos, however for suggesting a BSB isn't mandatory.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oh my apologies but I agree it's not auto include though I do like you automatically get soul blight which can be bubbled :D I also very rarely take a bsb if I'd rather have troops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts