Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Librarian from Hell
4,396 Posts
I like the drills, if they were bigger they might be better weapons but it would ruin the balance of the dead.
Though, I think it looks a bit to clean for me. Them hard edge are a bit to hard. I have this thing for "dirty and torned" apperance of my models though and I know this is not how everybody like it.
I would have gone over the whole Dread with a thinned down mix of black , brown and darkred. Let it go to the recesses and whipe the other areas half-clean with your thumb, it's done in no time. Then have a (really dry) drybrush on them edges with some kind of silver-paint, a dark one like boltgun would do the trick.
I would also add some battledamage like bulletholes and chipped of pieces of metal, keep them bright metal like mithril.

And I must say I love those dreads.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think the red is to bright. I shod have liked some more dark shades and darker red. Also the blue/green looks out of place, that color don’t fit with the rest of the model.

When you are using gold combined with red it is important that you have a lots of shades close to the gold or the two colors blend together.

My main issue is that I think the red is to bright, but that is a personal thing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Doesn't matter that the drills couldn't get a singles Guardsman, the Dread can swing them side-to-side and do hella damage to anything infront of it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I Like the drills... How did you do it?

The only problem I have with the modeling, is that you could have put it in a more dynamic pose.

I would also darken the red, much like everyone else suggested. What red did you use? Because you said that it got lightened up... I think it should be Scab Red with possibly a brown undercoat to get it a little darker...

-Centum

·
Registered
111 Posts
A drill going sideways whilst rotating at high speed can do a LOT of damage, because on the spiral, all the edges are sharpened. So it would work.
Regarding the blue/green, it does look out of place. But its the correct insignia colours, so I don't know what you can do about that.
Since its a khorne dread, I would add a bit of blood to the drill bits. Just a bit on the cutting edges, not over the top, will make it a lot nastier looking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the paint

what colours inks did you use because i have a red army made the cheme myself and i am going to make a dreadnaught soon what tips you got for the painting

just what tips to help with the extra detail thx because yours look cool and the drills very smart

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't use any Inks. Im not a fan if Inks at all. I think painting without inks makes the models look much tidier.

Anyway, basically, I gave the while thing a coat of blood red, but leave a very thin line around all the areas which you paint a different colour, so there will be a thin line of black. This will help distribute the colour much better than normaly. Then, I simply paint all the gold/metal bits, then do another, watered down layer of Blood Red to finish off.

If you want to try putting on some hightlights, I used Fiery Orange for mine, which I think looks pretty cool, but if you do the same, make sure you always brush in downward strokes. makes it look much cleaner.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Robizzle said:
I didn't use any Inks. Im not a fan if Inks at all. I think painting without inks makes the models look much tidier.
You play khorne and still say "tidier"? wow. i am ashamed. you should be all like BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!, not "tidier".

anyways, good job. i would definetly put a little bit of blood on the drills. maybe a very slight wash like waht anduscassius said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Red is Nice but you should gice it a wash of thinned down black ink. It will help to make the gold stand out much more.
Otherwise good effort!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like it, good job robizzle. If i do make one recommendation, it would be to make the dreadnought more sullied and battle-worn. Unlike normal space marines, I doubt Chaos spends precious time after battles hosing all the blood and rust of the armour ^^ especially khorne.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey thx for advice

yeh i used the always brush sstrokes down but i need a bit more practice with that and it did work thanks

i will have to try useing that orange idea and the blood idea as well very cool when i finish painting my dreadnaught i will photo it and send it in the post ok

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.