Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I think i found my way to make daemonkin work. It can handle eldar jetbike lists, knights, sm bike lists and other armys.
I like the speed of the army and works great in maelstrom missions which we use to play frequently. Blood points will be spend on things like fnp and extra attacks.

Please let me know what you think.

CAD:
Bloodthirster of insernate Rage
Bloodthirster of insernate Rage
8 cultists
8 cultists, flamer
helldrake, baleflamer

Gorepack formation
3 bikers, 2 meltaguns, combimelta + meltabomb on champ
10 fleshhounds
10 fleshhounds
10 fleshhounds
12 fleshhounds

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd take wrath of khorne or the other type of blood thirster. They can deal with flyers/gargantuans then :) dropping a few flesh hounds should make the points for that. With any luck you'll be summoning more thirsters or something anyway

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd take wrath of khorne or the other type of blood thirster. They can deal with flyers/gargantuans then :) dropping a few flesh hounds should make the points for that. With any luck you'll be summoning more thirsters or something anyway
All types of Bloodthirsters (except Skarbrand) can deal with flyers because they all have wings :act-up:. This type of Bloodthirster can deal with Gargantuan Creatures because it has D strength attacks. The trick is, they go at initiative 1 so they need to survive in order to make their attacks. If they do, it will be lights out for the victim. I used one of these bad boys in a game a few days ago in which I went up against a Chaos Lord and 5 Spawn. My Thirster took 2 wounds in the battle, but laid out enough wounds to kill everything in one round of combat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havnt played a lot frequently. But I just like the strenght D thirster. If i want another i would take one from the daemons codex with 2 greater rewards. How they perform is very much dependent on the opponents army. The flesh hounds never disapoint.

·
Registered
531 Posts
S6 vector strike isn't that great in terms of anti air lol

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
S6 vector strike isn't that great in terms of anti air lol
Let's think about this: You have vector strike which generate d3 strength 6 attacks and that is true of all three. But, the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury which can also use it's whip to attack flyers as well using Skyfire which could generate 2 more strength 6 attacks. The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster has another d3 strength 7 Bloodflail attacks that can also be made in the shooting phase using the skyfire rule.

Since the majority of fliers are armour 11 and almost all the rest (minority) of fliers are armour 12, this gives them at least a reasonable chance at destroying fliers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let's think about this: You have vector strike which generate d3 strength 6 attacks and that is true of all three. But, the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury which can also use it's whip to attack flyers as well using Skyfire which could generate 2 more strength 6 attacks. The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster has another d3 strength 7 Bloodflail attacks that can also be made in the shooting phase using the skyfire rule.

Since the majority of fliers are armour 11 and almost all the rest (minority) of fliers are armour 12, this gives them at least a reasonable chance at destroying fliers.
the bloodthirsters whip is only one attack not two.
-my original point was that the OP should take a wrathe of khorne bloodthirster for some better anti air in the force as the flail is good with it's d3 S7 ap2
i find vector strike is too unreliable as it depends too much on being in the right place at the right time and unless you're facing the eldar races, you'll generally more often than not, be against AV12 fliers, again this is where the WoK thirster comes in as it can try shoot the rear armour if you're lucky enough to not be against an av12 on all sides flyer lol

otherwise you're stuck with insensate rage thirsters who aren't reliable for dealin with air and are ideally suited on the ground wrecking face.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Flyers for the most part can generally be ignored with proper positioning to limit their movement & fire arcs. The only ones really worth fretting over tend to be FMC's, of which the Dakka Flyrants are the most nightmarish.

With Daemons/Khornekin, there's also the option of bringing along a Soul Grinder or two, which coupled with 'Thirster Vector Strikes, can readily HP armoured flyers to death.
Besides, Grinders are boss to begin with, and can also take a S6/ap4 template for murdering cowards like Tau/Smeldar! ;)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
the bloodthirsters whip is only one attack not two.
-my original point was that the OP should take a wrathe of khorne bloodthirster for some better anti air in the force as the flail is good with it's d3 S7 ap2
i find vector strike is too unreliable as it depends too much on being in the right place at the right time and unless you're facing the eldar races, you'll generally more often than not, be against AV12 fliers, again this is where the WoK thirster comes in as it can try shoot the rear armour if you're lucky enough to not be against an av12 on all sides flyer lol

otherwise you're stuck with insensate rage thirsters who aren't reliable for dealin with air and are ideally suited on the ground wrecking face.
I'm not saying they are your first line of defense against fliers. Experiment 626 is right, Soul Grinders are the best defense against fliers hands down. But the Khorne Daemonkin codex is thin on Flyer defense as a whole. I'm just saying they aren't *that* bad to handle fliers in a pinch.

But honestly, unless the Flier is bringing a lot of firepower, I wouldn't use a Bloodthirster to take one down. Thing is, if you have a flier who is bringing the hurt each round and you don't have Soul Grinders to back you up, a Thirster isn't a bad choice to deal with the threat.

Oh ya, I was wrong about the Lash being 2 attacks. When I wrote the last post I was in a great deal of pain. Pain usually interferes with otherwise good thinking.

·
Registered
531 Posts
When I wrote the last post I was in a great deal of pain. Pain usually interferes with otherwise good thinking.
totally agree there, damn slipped disc/sciatica causes me equal thought disruptions too :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts