Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I was digging around and found some of my old models; including old Kislev models.

For those unfamiliar with Kislev from the hayday of 6th edition here's the supplement:
http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/kislev-book.pdf

So I now have around 1000-1500 points of Kislev troops depending on how I build them. I've got a unit of Gryphon Legion, two units of Winged Lancers, a unit of Ungrol Horse Archers, a unit of Kossars, a Kislev Boyar, the Ice Queen, and Tzar Boris.

Now obviously this is meant as an ally army for Empire and others; and I could imagine it working really well for Dwarfs. I however recon it'd be fun and a bit different to run as an independent army. It has no rare choices and only one special choice; which is a bit extreme admittedly; it has no flyers, no monstrous infantry, no monstrous cavalry, no artillery, effectively no magic, no access to poison, hatred, ASF, terror, ward saves, or magical attacks. Only one unit can take a magic banner. Playing with this army would be a massive challenge.

So, presuming you could use both Tzar Boris and the Ice Queen, (I know the rules say only one can be fielded, but this army has enough of a hill to climb; anyone happy to face the army would have to be an arse to enforce that). So yeah, assuming you can field both characters; what lists would you make and how would you use this army... or do you think it's simply outmatched and will struggle to do much of anything?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No love for Kislev? Oh well...

Well, for anyone who may be interested this is the army I'm currently fielding with Kislev

General - Tzarina Katarin, The Ice Queen - 495 Points
Hero - Kislev Boyar BSB on Barded Warhorse w/ Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Bow, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman Of Preservation - 195 Points
Core - 9 Winged Lancers w/ Full Command - 256 Points
Core - 15 Kislev Kossars w/ Full Command - 160 Points
Core - 5 Ungol Horse Archers w/ Full Command - 110 Points
Special - 9 Gryphon Legion w/ Full Command, Banner Of Eternal Flame - 284 Points

1500 Points Exactly.

I run the Ice Queen in the Lancers and the BSB in the Legion. I could run them the other way around but Flaming Attacks on the Ice Queen just feels wrong. All in all, this is a very basic army. It's not many drops and it's extremely limited, but it's a playable army. It needs to position well, soften targets with shooting and ideally double charge with both cavalry units to take out units reliably.

I add the following for 2000 Points

Lord - Boris Ursus, The Red Tzar on Urskin The Bear - 375 Points, (if my opponent allows both characters)
Hero - Kislev Boyar on Barded Warhorse w/ Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Bow, Luckstone - 125 Points

The second Boyar joins the Horse Archers, which I run 3 wide just for aesthetics if anything; while Boris I run on his own as a unit in his own right. Boris is one of the only things Kislev have with magical attacks. The likes of ethereal is a real problem for Kislev.

The big trump card Kislev has is that enemy units must take an automatic panic test if charged by Kislev cavalry... this is their only unique power, and it's quite good. That said immune to Panic (Undead, Slaanesh) are a big problem there. Vampire Counts are Kislevs worst match up by a long way.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
awesome post, I loved the winged lancers - and the sheer enthusiasm for all the hobby related tips and info at the back, absolutely brilliant, such a far cry from what we have now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome post, I loved the winged lancers - and the sheer enthusiasm for all the hobby related tips and info at the back, absolutely brilliant, such a far cry from what we have now.
Yeah, 6th edition seemed to be peppered with helpful hints and constantly reinforced the craft side of the hobby. I was most active in 5th and 6th edition so I've fond memories of the game in that state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts