Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm fairly new and I've been browsing the forums looking at army lists and such. From what I've gathered a squad a kommandos with skinkrot is included all the time. I guess I don't quite see whats so amazing about them. How exactly should they be used to make them useful?

thanks!

JAK

·
Registered
40 Posts
When you replace the Nob in your Kommando sqaud with Snikrot you can come on ANY board edge when coming out of reserve, it's in his special rules. You can even come in on your opponents deployment edge, just imagine what havok you can do with that :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true, but I guess there's only a 50% chance on the second turn they'll even show up. Also they're just normal boys right? Do people typically equip them with anything special? Then are they typically run into assault units? Is a good tactic to wait until the boyz and such can flank them from the other side? Or is it better to just have them get in ASAP to distract as much as possible?

Lots of questions =P

JAK

·
Registered
170 Posts
Give them 2 burnas which act as power weapons and they are great for destroying heavy weapons teams that sit back and hit you from afar!

Also Snikrot has Str5 and 4 attacks so thats 5 S6 attacks on the (furios)charge which means you have a decent chance of glancing vehicles with weak rear armor when you charge them! eg Leman Russ tanks which the cowardly humies keep as far away from us as possible

If you imagine that when they come in from reserves they can move 6" and assault 6". Which means that any enemy unit within 12" of any table edge is at risk. In addition if you launch your waagh the turn they come in then you can benefit from an additional D6".

That means that your opponent has to be in fear of a unit of power weapon toting maniacs being theoretically capable of appearing anywhere within 12"-18" of any table edge in turn 2.

10 kommandos with 2 burnas and snikrot for 215 pts for the above abilities is pretty amazing!

What he lacks is
Power Klaw
Boss pole

but even with these drawbacks the unit is awesome!

I once fielded Snikrot with 5 kommandos and 2 rokkit launchas as an anti tank unit. It scared the crap out of my IG opponent who had a squadron of Leman russ's

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I've found that kommandos + 2 burnas + Snikkrot is fantastic for destroying ONE enemy non-vehicle unit of your choice.

However, they never seem to do much after that first kill. It's too easy for your opponent to shoot them to death, or simply stay out of their way, after they slaughter that first unit. As a result, I think the typical setup is a little pricey for my taste:

12 Kommandos + 2 burnas + Snikkrot [235 points]

Since the other kommandos are just there to heap on the number of attacks, and give Snikkrot some ablative wounds, I prefer a scaled down version of the unit:

8 Kommandos + 2 burnas + Snikkrot [195 points]

This is more of a bargain, and a much better choice for smaller games. Of course, going all the way down to 5 kommandos + 2 burnas + Snikkrot [165 points] isn't impossible either. It's up to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I havent played commandos, but after reading a blog post about stuff like outflank and deepstrike (Prince of Execess's in fact) they seem to be worth taking, and in my opion being most powerful as tank hunters, silencing enemy gun platforms. So the build I might use is:
8 kommandos with x2 rokkit Launchers, and a Bosspole and Power klaw toting nob.
----------
I havent played commandos, but after reading a blog post about stuff like outflank and deepstrike (Prince of Execess's in fact) they seem to be worth taking, and in my opion being most powerful as tank hunters, silencing enemy gun platforms. So the build I might use is:
8 kommandos with x2 rokkit Launchers, and a Bosspole and Power klaw toting nob.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Basically it's the way they almost force the other guy to move at least 6 inches in from the board not to take two flame templates up the arse, or side and then because you're trying to assault him with the rest of your army it's just more space control for orks, which is how they win games, by aggressively controlling zones ;) They are good I don't know why. Try playing RAW and take something like Ghaz or a Pimped Warboss with his unit ;) sure people will never play you again but it works ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the people I play with plays IG. One of the problems I have against him is his use of basilisks to blow the crap out of me. If I was to field Kommandos is there a good way to make them be able to take him out?

I would like to use snikrot. I'm just not sure he would then be able to be up to that role. Would he be? Is there a good thing I could do to make that squad beat up his vehicles?

Thanks

JAK

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
One of the people I play with plays IG. One of the problems I have against him is his use of basilisks to blow the crap out of me. If I was to field Kommandos is there a good way to make them be able to take him out?

I would like to use snikrot. I'm just not sure he would then be able to be up to that role. Would he be? Is there a good thing I could do to make that squad beat up his vehicles?

Thanks

JAK
Bassies have crap for armour and rarely ever move. Snikrot is perfect for the role, with Str 6 on the charge, he'll glance on a 4 and pen on a 5+, and with 5 attacks that automatically hit (if the Bassie remained stationary in the previous turn) you're looking at at least 1 glance and 1 pen from him alone. Not to mention whatever the other boyz dish out (at 4 attacks each, glance on 6's).

Even better if the Bassie's are in a squadron, as Immobilization automatically upgrades to Destroyed, and you'll be passing out several glancing hits.

If you're iffy about dishing out the points for Snikrot in a sacrificial unit (which he usually is, but his abilities make it worth while!), consider 5x Kommandos with 2x Big Shootas and a Nob w/ Big Choppa. If you're lucky enough to arrive close enough to assault, the BC is cheap and super effective. If not, the Big Shootas are long enough range that you should be able to hit side armour.

Multiple cheap Kommando units would be best, but if you cannot spare the Elites slots, an alternative unit to consider is the Deff Kopta. They can outflank as well, and have an effective 48" range with TL Big Shootas, and 30" range with TL Rokkits. They also have a very fun piece of equipment: Big Bomms, which would actually be HIGHLY effective against IG. Also note that they have their own rules for firing, and roll d6" scatter, not the normal rules for blast templates. Meaning you have little risk of a shot scattering to your boyz, if they're close by.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I havent been playing orks for very long, but every list I have has kommandos in it since my first game. They were my MVP's by far. They are still squishy like most orks are, but being able to come on where you need them the most is definatly a huge advantage. Most of my games I have played with my orks my opponent is to worried about the horde that covers the board. They forget about my kommandos, and that is when Snikrot comes on and starts tearing into everything. With support from TLRL Koptas buzzing around causing havoc there is mass potential for use of the abilities the kommandos offer. Being able to come behind armour and take it out of the equation, or being able to annihilate the devastator squad or heavy weapons team thats causing havoc on your tide is invaluable. Well thats my two cents on the greatness of kommandos. Hope I helped!

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Maybe I just haven't had much luck recently, but Snikrot has been phased out of my lists for awhile. There's been more and more armor coming up against me, which that unit is less stellar against (especially av11-14 rear), and the lack of a bosspole has left me weeping on numerous occasions.

Then again, went up against an all infantry guard list and man oh man did I wish he as back in the list. They would have killed half of that list by themselves...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.