Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm a trap!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Krieg gorgon squads recently, (link) and have been wondering how hard it would be to split them up into individual models. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a single platoon of 50 and then to convert them slightly, even if I lost four or five in the process, than it would to buy five squads (although I plan to buy a few infantry squads as well to make things look less static!). Some of the coats are touching, although it is hard to tell how much, so I don't want to go and buy them if it isn't doable. Has anyone else tried this? Thoughts?

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I will combine the two above posts saying a lot of work and they are so standing still and don't have special weapons... 8Y

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
I've been looking at the Krieg gorgon squads recently, (link) and have been wondering how hard it would be to split them up into individual models. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a single platoon of 50 and then to convert them slightly, even if I lost four or five in the process, than it would to buy five squads (although I plan to buy a few infantry squads as well to make things look less static!). Some of the coats are touching, although it is hard to tell how much, so I don't want to go and buy them if it isn't doable. Has anyone else tried this? Thoughts?
Its not hard at all, a friend of mine did it and let me tell you its a hell of a lot cheaper than wasting money on individual squads. Out of 50 guys, you usualy manage to split 40-45 of them. There are some that are so close together that its impossible to split them without damging one of the two. Just one suggestion, if you want to play Krieg DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SQUADS. Put some time into the gorgon, and you will get 40 guys for really cheap.

Do it, you will save a lot of money.
Even if you managed to pry them apart, they'd look a bit awful. Like one step above cardboard cutouts.
No they dont, they look great, some require some conversion though. All of them are in normal standing poses like any soldier would have if he is just walking around not shooting anything. In fact, I will try to borrow a guy from him so I can post a pic on here.

·
I'm a trap!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much converting? How'd they turn out? Does your friend have any pictures online? I'd be really interested in seeing how this worked out for someone else! I don't plan on just having the gorgon squad- I'd be adding about the same amount in running/firing squads as well, they'd really just be to fill numbers out, because there is no way I want to buy the amount of infantry squads required just to make two minimal troops choices!

·
Renaissance Man
280 Posts
If it works and looks ok i say go for it!

I agree that they would work well if you added normal ones with them to bulk up an army.

I do think they are too static but then again a lot of 40k models are. They'd make good artilley troops and possibly dead soldiers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I myself am giving this a go. I got a few squads of them and I have just now about 10 mins ago taken them out of the package and Already have close to half a squad free standing on their own. The 5-6 man lines crack right down the middle extremely easy and the 2 person groups are just a few good pokes with the end of my exact o knife from separating. Some will be a bit more work but for 5x the squads for less than a single; they will work for the core of my army. I have a grenadier squad for the looks and these will be my troops mainly in chimeras for most of battles with my mech themed army. The arms will only take a small amount of green stuff to look 100%. I may even use ones that are harder to break up as gunners or spotters for HW squads and such where they need more editing anyways. If you have some patience and a bit of green stuff ability it'd be worth the investment in the gorgon squads. Ok back to cutting.

I have finished a box worth about 5 squads now. An hour here and there for the last day or 2. Once you get a hang of it I expect the next ones to go much faster and smoother. As the patterns repeat you figure out the best ways to get them apart and a few good pokes with the exact knife and you're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.