Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of Kroot mercs not to long asgo, and decided to pu them togetehr. I was planning on using them as a firesupport and counter charge unit to back up my Boyz, but I'm not sure if the Kroot Merc rules are allowed any ore. If not, would it be acceptable to use them as Shoota Boyz?

If I can use the rules however, howeffective would they be for my Dreadbash with slugga boy footsloggers.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Firstly, why are you using Kroot instead of boys? Orks are much more versatile then Kroot, in additional a shoota boy comes with 2 base attacks, which a kroot technically has, plus the boy has an assault weapon, the kroot has a rapid fire weapon which means you can't shoot on the move and change. It is acceptable to use kroot as outlined by their rules, however I don't think its that great as if I remember right their lower toughness, more expensive, but have a better BS.

Second, its not permissable to use a unit of kroot as a stand in for shoota boys. Kroot have a significant amount of rules that orks do not have... pertaining to inflitrate, moving through cover, increasing cover saves ETC. Orks don't have these rules as result you can't do a stand in unfortunately unless your playing 1 off games with your friends. In games vs opponents you don't know I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, why are you using Kroot instead of boys? Orks are much more versatile then Kroot, in additional a shoota boy comes with 2 base attacks, which a kroot technically has, plus the boy has an assault weapon, the kroot has a rapid fire weapon which means you can't shoot on the move and change. It is acceptable to use kroot as outlined by their rules, however I don't think its that great as if I remember right their lower toughness, more expensive, but have a better BS.
I'm using them for fluff based reasons. They do have a lower toughness, however they have better strength and initative, excepting when they charge. And I would refrain from stating that Orks are much more versatile 9As they are, but just a little bit), seeing as how Kroot can shoot well and also assault decently. They don't have assault guns, but that extra round of rapid fire may help break the target unit. Also, they have infiltrate, something Orks don't get. I was thinking of infiltrating them into a nice position in cover, using them as a firebase while the boys advanced.

Second, its not permissable to use a unit of kroot as a stand in for shoota boys.
BY standing them in for Shootas, I would be using Shootas rules. It would be a coutns as type of thing.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Missed the point

I'm using them for fluff based reasons. They do have a lower toughness, however they have better strength and initative, excepting when they charge. And I would refrain from stating that Orks are much more versatile 9As they are, but just a little bit), seeing as how Kroot can shoot well and also assault decently. They don't have assault guns, but that extra round of rapid fire may help break the target unit. Also, they have infiltrate, something Orks don't get. I was thinking of infiltrating them into a nice position in cover, using them as a firebase while the boys advanced.

BY standing them in for Shootas, I would be using Shootas rules. It would be a coutns as type of thing.
If you want to use them for fluff reason go for it. I have my own converted units that are mixed in my armies for fluff reason, but they are converted orky so they look the part. Honestly I've played both. There is nothing Kroot can do that Ork based units cannot do. If you want an inflitrating unit Kommando's are better. Granted Kroot shoot better, however against assault based armies your rapid fire probably won't do a lot. If you going with a units of 20, then a similar unit of 20 boys has just as much shooting with the ability to assault after... much more effective just a lower BS.

As for standing in, still absolutely not. Your using a model that has a rapid fire based weapon, has different rules, to represent shoots boys?? As I said in friend based games go for it. If your playing in a shop vs opponents your meeting for the first time, its generally bad gaming form. Just buy the shoota boys or trade for them

·
Registered
143 Posts
As for standing in, still absolutely not. Your using a model that has a rapid fire based weapon, has different rules, to represent shoots boys?? As I said in friend based games go for it. If your playing in a shop vs opponents your meeting for the first time, its generally bad gaming form. Just buy the shoota boys or trade for them
Thats upto your opponent as a rule. Most people dont mind you proxying units in friendlies, I certainly wouldn't mind, but as Mouse says this is a no no against strangers and in tournaments were you should play WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) to avoid disputes arising

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.