Librarium Online Forums banner

WHo would you rather play kroot or vespid?

• kroot

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • vespid

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently decided i want some aliens in my army but haven't been able to decide between vespid and kroot. kroot are meant for assault even though there guns are basically the same as bolters and with only one attack and three toughness they aren't that great. i mean look at it this way would you rather have 10 kroot or 7 fire warriors?

vespid on the other hand are jump infantry with fleet making them very mobile and there guns are perfect for taking down MEQ units. and with initiative 5 and toughness 4 if they shoot then charge into a group of space marines they will do some damage. the down side is they cost the same as a space marine but regardless i think i will vote vespid.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
You might want to check out some of the threads on LO about taking Vespid. There's a reason why you won't see them that often (if at all) in a Tau player's army. True, their gun is a MEq killer but don't be fooled by the higher Initiative rating.

You asked which we would prefer: 10 Kroot or 7 Fire Warriors. Hmmm.....let's see, what are we looking for? A small firebase? Then yeah ok, 7 FWs. A small unit of infiltrate-capable (and thereby Outflank capable) models with 30 attacks on the charge at the same strength and WS as a Marine, and a quasi-bolter with a slightly poorer AP. A scoring unit which if taken in large numbers with Hounds can be a serious threat and a huge pain. Yeah, let's go Kroot.

The only real downside to Kroot is their No Armour Save element. Otherwise they make a good and effective unit which offers the Tau player another string to his army's bow. Vespid on the other hand are a bit of a one-trick-pony, are hard to use effectively and have to have support in order to survive. Support? Hmmm.....Vespid and Kroot work reasonably well together, one as the firepower element and the other as the mop-it-up-in-combat element.

E.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Kroot have tons of utility. They are cheap, they can screen, they can infiltrate. With hounds, they can actually put up a decent fight in an assault. (Watch Ork players cry when your Kroot fight them. ;) ) And the only thing Kroot compete with are fire warriors (which means they're Troops, too!). Fire warriors can do none of those things.

Vespid are expensive. Vespid have to get close to the enemy to operate, which puts them at risk. And they're extremely fragile, so they die easiliy. Vespid also compete against pathfinders and piranahs in the Fast Attack slot, and every Tau army needs pathfinders and piranhas. Vespid don't make the cut.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you i now see the error of my ways

·
Registered
730 Posts
i dont like playing with either for they both have a common issue: low (or no) armor saves. but kroot to me because they are less expensive and more expendable.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
i dont like playing with either for they both have a common issue: low (or no) armor saves. but kroot to me because they are less expensive and more expendable.
Who cares about no armour save? A Kroot is so cheap it really does not matter if they die. If you want to win consistently with Tau you take Kroot it is as simple as that. Others here have discussed how versatile they are but the best use for them is as buffer zones. Tau need to keep the opponents forces at distance as long as possible to allow their shooting to do its work. Kroot are also briliiant for preventing deep strike or outflanking.
I take two units of 10 with minimum of 5 Hounds and simply place them (in cover if possible) in front of my more valuable units. They provide cover saves and they slow anything other than skimmers or flying units down. The Hounds give me some combat punch and the kroot have their guns (believe me an opponent will think twice about moving in range of 20 rapid fire STR4 shots or a stupid amount of minimum CC attacks.
I find they work best with two Fire Warrior units in DF as it allows me to be more aggressive with them as I do not the Kroot for objective taking. I love using a unit of Kroot alongside my Torch squad, flame the back out of a squad and then send the kroot and Hounds in to assault the survivors (flame grilled snacks for the Kroot :freaked-out: )

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the multiple objective mission, I have an idea for kroot (which I can not put to full use until i have full a full unit, not including krootox). Basically, you place your objectives in a triangle close together as allowed (in one case I was able to place 3/5 objectives, so it worked there. Then, hopefully you are able to stick a piece of terrain on the board (or two if its not big enough). Then you stick half the unit into the forest while stringing the rest out in front of your lines as a means of protection. This line is pretty malleable, so you can bend it forward in some parts, too. Then, your cover-saved kroot line can slink out (you have 16 models out of cover, and still get the save) and use that line to capture the objectives. If you are getting shot up by a mega-shooty army, you can go to ground. If your enemy is approaching, then assault the hell out of them and get 96 attacks (36 of which are at I 5, so you can attack first most of the time, and then take the wounds on the hounds, and still make every attack with the rest of the kroot).

Now, I'm not sure how this will do, but I have confidence in it for now.

For the rest of the army, it follows a basic kroot wall tactic. Suits jump over to shoot, firewarriors vs marines or Sv 4, or termies, cover doesnt matter, and you can use your markerlights (Which ignore cover when firing, and that is awesome) to support your broadsides and/or hammerheads (for BS, cover, or who knows what other units you snuck into your army).

·
Registered
356 Posts
About kroot having no save just remember how easy it is to get a cover save in 5th ed. Most of the time your kroot will have a 4+/3+ cover save.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Also running Kroot you can use a Krootox 7 str ap 4 48inc shot rapid fire not to bad In my opinion and adds some attacks kroot are almost laways used over vespids because you can distract the enemy with them.

·
1,053 Posts
I voted Kroot. Nothing burns a CSM player like hitting the berzerkers with 50+ attacks on the charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.