Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: 16 skinks with 2 kroxigors, vs a unit of High Elf Spearmen. Spearmen failed Fear test. do they autobreak as being outnumbered by the Unit, or is it just the fear causing portion.

All the info I find states that they should as the unit "technically" is fear causing cause of the kroxigor, and thus they would break. However it has been brought to my attention that just the Fear causing models would cause to break, thus only being US 6 of fear, not 22.

If anyone has some logic and could point towards a "official" ruling. That would be great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The entire unit causes Fear thanks to the Krox, so in terms of unit strength you have to use the US of the entire unit (16 skinks and 6 us from the krox = 22 US). There's no proportional fear and anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is as I thought, and how I read it as well. but could you not see it the other way?

where can I find something "official" more or less

·
4,361 Posts
The unit does not cause fear, only the krox do. The closet thing in the rule book to this is the section on fear causing characters joining a unit that doesn't cause fear. Fear/terror is a trait of the individual monster, it isn't transfered to the unit. Nobody in there right mind would be scared of a skink.

You would use the US6 to determine outnumbering and whether or not a unit would autobreak.

SirKently

·
Registered
158 Posts
You count the number of krox for the US for fear only. Otherwise this can mnake skinks broken, by simply taking a single kroxigor and a mountain of skinks, you can have a unit that can easily cause a unit to need double 1's on a break test for incredibly cheap. Given the fact that any other unit that can pull this off for anywhere near the price usually has something to help decrease thier numbers in prolonged combat (daemonic instability, undead auto-wounds), where as skinks have cold-blooded and no such penalty, means this could easily be used as a broken unit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello all,

This question came up again via some friends who are going to conflict scotland next weekend.

Do we have any official ruling on the fear rules for the Kroxigors in units?

We too found the section in the WFRB that details fear causing characters in units, it sounds like the skink unit causes fear and gains all the benefits.

i.e. immune to fear, auto break for outnumbering etc.

Also how does it work for units who are charged, fail their fear tests but don't auto break do they need 6's to hit the skinks or just 6's to hit the kroxigors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just compare your mixed unit of skinks w kroxies to a salamander or razordon hunting pack. In those to cases the rules are specificly seperated.

Salamander / Razordons: 5+ Scaly Skin; Fear
ALL: Cold Blooded; Aquatic; Skirmishers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the input but that's not really what I'm asking.

I know that only the Krox's cause fear, the skinks clearly don't . the question realtes to how fear causing and non fear causing units interact when mixed in the same unit.

Imagine the following scenarios and please post your thoughts on each.

<<<Being charged by skinks and Krox>>>

1) I'm charged by a unit of skinks including one kroxigor. Do I need to take a fear test?

Currently I would say yes as It will result in my unit being in combat with a fear causing enemy.

2) Imagine I fail my fear check...Now I need to calculate the unit strength of the charging unit, do I count the US of the Krox or the US of the Krox plus the skinks?

If the US is greater than mine I'll automatically flee.

If the US is less than mine I'll not flee but need 6's to hit. now do I need 6's to hit the Krox and skinks or 6's to hit the krox only?

3) The same questions about the US would come up again when establishing about Auto breaking.

<<<Skinks charging fear causing units>>>

When skinks and Krox charge a fear causing unit do they take a fear test?

Currently I would say no since they have a big krox backing them up to make them feel safe.

<<<Charging a Unit of skinks>>>

Do I only take a fear test if it would result in me fighting the fear causing krox?

Example I charge a unit of skinks in the flank there are two files of skinks between the line of combat and the krox. since the krox can only fight over the heads of one rank do i need to take a fear test?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would say that its hard to awn this question but this is the way i c it to me it seams the awn to does a unit with 2 krox in it and 20 skinks cause a unit with 15 goblins to flee when charged or not charge when tryn to is yes.. gw wouldnt have it that they fail their fear test and now they suffer no penelty bc they can simply att skinks and just ignore the kroxagors . I just dont c it there would be no point in saying the unit causes fear at all if u can just ignore the fear more or less and suffer no pen , not to mention not have to break until there is only 5 gobos left ,it just wouldnt make sense.

Put your faith in the Sarus they have always been good to the lizardmen :act-up:

·
4,361 Posts
Imagine the following scenarios and please post your thoughts on each.

<<<Being charged by skinks and Krox>>>

1) I'm charged by a unit of skinks including one kroxigor. Do I need to take a fear test?
Yes you do.

2) Imagine I fail my fear check...Now I need to calculate the unit strength of the charging unit, do I count the US of the Krox or the US of the Krox plus the skinks?
I would say kroxigor only for US, as they are the only ones you fear. Assuming you could charge as your unit strength is higher than the kroxigors, you would still need 6's to hit in the first round of combat against either kroxigors or skinks, as it is the fact you are frightened than causes this, not that you are directing attacks against the fear causers.

3) The same questions about the US would come up again when establishing about Auto breaking.
Only count the unit strength of the kroxigors.

<<<Skinks charging fear causing units>>>

When skinks and Krox charge a fear causing unit do they take a fear test?
No. The kroxigors will pull the skinks along with them, and the skinks are emboldened by the presence of the kroxigor.

<<<Charging a Unit of skinks>>>

Do I only take a fear test if it would result in me fighting the fear causing krox?

Example I charge a unit of skinks in the flank there are two files of skinks between the line of combat and the krox. since the krox can only fight over the heads of one rank do i need to take a fear test?
In this case you wouldn't have to take a fear test.
My views,
SirKently

·
Registered
18 Posts
from the official games-workshop lizardmen faq

Q. Does a unit of Skinks that includes Kroxigors cause Fear? Also, for the combat result, when we compare the Unit Strengths to see if the enemy automatically flees, do we only consider the US of the Kroxigor, or the total US of the unit (Skinks + Kroxigor)?
A. I'd say that Kroxigors work under the same rules as Fear-causing characters inside units ofnon-Fear-causing models (see the main rulebook), and that only the US of Kroxigors is counted when working out whether the unit is outnumbered or not.

the rules for mixed units might change in the new rule book

hope it helps
camo-skink

·
4,361 Posts
from the official games-workshop lizardmen faq

Q. Does a unit of Skinks that includes Kroxigors cause Fear? Also, for the combat result, when we compare the Unit Strengths to see if the enemy automatically flees, do we only consider the US of the Kroxigor, or the total US of the unit (Skinks + Kroxigor)?
A. I'd say that Kroxigors work under the same rules as Fear-causing characters inside units ofnon-Fear-causing models (see the main rulebook), and that only the US of Kroxigors is counted when working out whether the unit is outnumbered or not.

the rules for mixed units might change in the new rule book

hope it helps
camo-skink
Well, you are just over a year too late. Please let dead threads lie.

SirKently

1 - 12 of 12 Posts