Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been dragging my feet, but I think it's finally time to take the dive into a proper Necron Dynasty. My former necrons looked much like this guy:

But I've grown to abhor boltgun metal necrons with an avid passion. So time to junk those old necrons and mix up some new ones. Having been inspired by [MENTION=14363]Ravendove[/MENTION]'s Bone Necrons, I've cooked up a colour scheme that I think I'll be happy with:

The idea being Tin Bitz for the joints, khommando khaki for the exterior armour, shadow grey for heavy armour plates (like on lychguard), vomit brown for my power sources, and some gold for the bling. That's the vision, at least.

About the only thing I'm not 100% sure of right now is how I'm going to do my bases. I've been leaning toward a wetlands style base, but I might steal [MENTION=36568]Lani Guy[/MENTION]'s idea and go with some sort of woodland motif. Goal for today, though is to put some paint on this guy:

No real direction for this project thread at the moment. I just enjoyed how the ToXG project grew from nothing, and would like to have the same thing for my Necron dynasty. I'd do likewise here, but am not quite ready to take on the burden of having to complete models each month. So, expect much the same: before and after shots of models, and probably eventually an army list.

For right now, I'm just going to put together some troops, in the form of Immortals, both in the Tesla and Gauss variety. 5 of each. After that, it will be a bare-bones Staff of Light Overlord. So here goes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think I will sign on to the project. I am a Guard and Eldar player but I always love looking at other armies with some nice paint jobs. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I look forward to seeing this actually, since I'm beginning to paint my necrons again as well :) Drop me a pm if you need any help with army lists, I tend to write a lot of them :p Good luck with the project, and I look forward to seeing the scheme on a model! It looks like a nice scheme.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I initially got sidetracked by what I was going to do with my base. Tried a few things out, but I have my heart set on a swamp theme. First go wasn't that great, but what a difference the trim can make:

So, I've been having trouble with my water (as per THIS THREAD), and I figured I'd try another colour out to see what it looks like. Geez, just throwing on a quick slap of brown paint and I can look past a lot of the faults. Still need to iron out the rest of the screw-ups, but I have another couple practice bases so I can get it sorted before tackling the army as a whole.

Speaking of Things I Should Have Done The Smart Way: I was working on my immortal, and realized that the khaki out of the pot was just a little too dark for what I wanted. I lightened it up to a colour I was happy with and started slapping it on. I only got to here...

...before I realized that this shade of khaki was bone. Not just a lighter version of khaki, but a straight up BONE colour. I was initially wanting a little more grey tint to my armour plating (which is why I chose khommando khaki over bleached bone). Now I'm thinking, maybe I should go for a lighter version of shadow grey for the body plates and use khommando khaki for the armour plates. Space Wolves Grey, perhaps? Though that is more of a baby blue than a proper blue/grey.

For the short term, I might put this immortal aside and paint up a couple warriors as test models. I seem to have a million laying around as parts, and can always use the multi-hued warriors in the short term as count-as crypteks until I can kit-bash those later. I'll be happy to have a colour scheme down, as that is the most frustrating/aggrivating part of starting a new army.

So yeah, pointless update, but at least there were a few photos. :)

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez, two weeks and all I've put together has been one warrior?! Wacky. Where does the time go?

Anyways, test warrior completed:

I'm already seeing things I don't like:

-I need to find a different colour for the eyes. Currently, I'm using the same orange for the power rod as for the eyes, and it blends in too well with the carapace armour. My major concern is if I keep the orange for the power sources, then the orbs (like, say, on the deathmarks and praetorians) will also blend in. How much? Tough to say right now, but it definitely won't POP! as much as I'd like. So, perhaps a dark colour for the eyes? Maybe re-think using the orange for the power sources? What do you think?

-I just used the dark blue on the shoulderblades because I wanted to see the contrast. Originally the whole model was going to be that brown colour. But I'm happy enough with the blue that I think that's a keeper.

-The rod might seem plain on this model, but in future models I plan on swapping out the green rods for the rods from the Immortal Gauss Blasters. In which case, the interior lines will be white-ish. It won't look so plain. But the gun is starting to look like it has too much orange going on. Not sure what colour to add in there to mix it up. Probably go with the power orbs in the above mentioned eye-colour point.

-Still having trouble with the water. Not sure how to keep it from climbing over top of everything and sinking so much in the middle. Also, are the reeds looking correctly? Should I shorten them down some?

Ah well, let me know what you think as it will be a little bit before I get to the army properly.

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Everything is damn aok! Just find a suitable colour for they eyes. Either green,red, or blue. Violet might be a good option. I wouldn't swap the rods.

EDIT: And now Pilot's painting question of the day to be directly copy pasted for his painting book:
How did you get the bone so crisp? :readies pen. And please don't tell me you air brushed it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That looks ace! The orange will work, I just think it needs to be deeper, so, more red to the mix. The same reasoning to the orbs etc on praetorians etc. as well. I think if you start from a very reddy orange, and maybe have yellow as like the top top highlights, it might help it pop... Just me though. Maybe it won't work in practice, but good luck, and they're going well!

I think the reeds look good, though variation across the army wouldn't hurt I think.

As for your water problems, I can see two solutions. The one I would recommend personally, from doing a swamp army a while ago, is save the swamp on the small bases, except maybe a few. Concentrate on nailing the 40mm + bases. And those flyer bases are where you really want to shine.

Then for the water, here's what I did.

I got a lighter, and held my base in a clamp/helping hand. Putting the lighter near the bottom, I slowly heated it, pushing down on the top with a cocktail stick, or something similar. As it gets hotter, you'll be able to push dips into it, but don't go too far.

You can then put the water in the dips you make, and you'll still get depth, but the level will be the same as/lower than the ground.

It'll take a few attempts to get right, but it works on small bases. On the big bases I'd just cut out the area you need, put plasticard underneath, and greenstuff between the card and the base to seal the area.

I'm probably not being too clear, but if you want, inbox me and I'll try and find some guides for you :)

Just my little bit of advice btw, feel free to disregard :p

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[MENTION=34963]pilot00[/MENTION]
It's just khommando khaki straight from the pot. I water down my pots pretty heavily (I add 1mL from a syringe to the... 4mL that is in it, I believe). It looks a lot smoother than it is because I up the exposure on the camera to bring the colours out, which also washes out the depth and texture. So, no tricks for the model, just tricks on the camera.

[MENTION=28615]Sir Spamalot[/MENTION]
Yeah, I think I'm going to scrap the water idea. You're right in that the best way to do water effects is to have a recessed base. Unfortunately, with the magnetic bases that I use, I cannot really dig out a hole for the water to go into. I'm throwing together some alternative bases right now, and ultimately steal [MENTION=36568]Lani Guy[/MENTION] 's idea for a woodland scene. I'll just have to buy some leaves.

Thanks both for the comments. I'll give a try to add some reddish hue to the eyes, or maybe something just completely off the wall. Do you guys have any suggestions for the crowns/capes/loincloths when I get to that point? I was going to go with gold, but now I'm thinking that it will just blend in way too much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey man i think red might be a better colour move the coldness of the shades you have used is REALLY strong if you add some red to the mis it will really make a much more bold contrast than the blue and it will look retty awesome :D at the moment the yellow colour you are using is still very low in contrast value wise ill show you with technowizardry in a bit just give me an hour or so

·
Registered
274 Posts
OK! i want to ut a disclaimer in here.

this stuff is 100% just to help you make your mind up about where you are going, you dont have to listen to a thing i say and i wont be offended at all.

that said, here is something i put together to show you how your colours work together.

the top images show JUST your contrast levels. you see how the contrast in the ravendoves necron, it adds visual interest and veriety to a fairly monotone image. yours is quite flat by comarison, thats not bad as such it just needs a little more contrast to feel right. the little mini necron i did there is the contrast image of the colour variants i made below.... i upped the brightness of the "bone" sections and darkened the shoulder and gun parts. i feel in myself its a slightly more dynamic look. i then just took thos values and added the 3 colours you see below which im hoing might make it a little easier to visualize what you are trying to do.

hope it helps man :D

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Thats what I love in LO. If anyone can work a little bit to help he does.

Can you make an edit on the blue and make his eyes purple? I think it will be better.

EDIT: Klajorne to my eyes it looks bone whiteX|

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy crap, nistrum, that is awesome! You've literally just opened my eyes on a bit of colour theory I had not considered before. Like, a complete epiphany.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go back and stare at the model some more and wait for my mind to get un-blown.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ask and you shall receive :D

i added a couple of colours that came out cool as well as the purple. i personally really like the green for some reason...

::edit:: haha klajorne, your welcome man, just glad to help.. now as per the LO rules you just need to name your first born child after me :p

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
::edit:: haha klajorne, your welcome man, just glad to help.. now as per the LO rules you just need to name your first born child after me :p
I'll run it by the wife. She hasn't said yes to any of the names I've brought up so far, so don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
hahaha.

BTW klajorne im a big fan of the work you did on your marines man... its really encouraging to see someone progress their painting skills the way you did. so im looking forwards to seeing what you do with these guys.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha.

BTW klajorne im a big fan of the work you did on your marines man... its really encouraging to see someone progress their painting skills the way you did. so im looking forwards to seeing what you do with these guys.
Thanks. You, and the LO community as a whole, are the ones responsible for that.

I wanted to ask you too, while I have you on the line: what do you suggest for blingy bits (crowns, loincloths, capes)? I was originally going to do gold (shining gold, I think it is). But now I'm thinking it'll blend in too well with the bone colour. Though, part of me also thinks that if I swap the gauss weapons to a blue hue, the orange of the gold will contrast well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ok.. having played in my secret colour labs i came up with this..

i am cheating a little as im considering our "skin" colour as a neutral, which i probably shouldnt. but hey.. this is quite a classic triadic scheme but it should work...i would stick with the blue and base colour for the warriors where you can and add in the yellow/golds on the more advanced troop types. that should give you some nice colour depth.. in theory :p

here you go

·
Registered
274 Posts
after some jiggery pokery i came up with this... i think lava bases should work pretty well with this... itll give you that red orange colour and help them really jump out at you. i think :s lol

1 - 20 of 76 Posts