Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since Higgo brought this up I thought why not! Most of us seem to like reading so yay!

So What will the club be about? Basically it'll be a place to talk about books and authors.
To become a Member of the LOBC, include in your introduction post:
-Favorite author(s)
-Favorite genre
-Favorite book(s)

Talk about what book(s) you are reading and give in your thoughts once you've finished, and of course feel free to recommend any good book you happen to come across!

Rules: Only book related stuff please.

·
Registered
128 Posts
what smeone noticed me :blink:
anywhy writer bernard cornwell/david eddings/darl
books; warlord cronicles sharpe series
genre war books

the warlord cronicles are a must read absolute masterpice as are the sharpe books both by bernard cornwell and the belgraid by david edding are great
note there the series names

·
DING
1,740 Posts
The best writer of fantesy IMO would have to be Robert Jordan. His wheel of time series is one of the best i have ever read.
Saying that i have got the impression that he is just sort of drawing it out now to increase profit. The eleventh book should be released christmas after next. Normally i read just about anything. My favourite would have to be fantesy, Historical and Mythology.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I've read The Wheel Of Time to, it's damn good but very long 10 books so far!! But like I said very good. I also have the hobbit & The Lord Of The Rings (all 3) and I'm reading fellowship of the ring again. I also have a set called "The Bitterbynde" , The Magician & Talon of the Silver hawk. As well as nearly all the warhammer fantasy novels and many 40k ones.

My fav type is fantasy and sci-fi, but I don't like books of TV shows eg Buffy. Why read about it when you can watch it?

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well glad to see it taken on. Maybe later on I'll organisebook topic. Where we all pick one book and read it, and afterward discuss it....but that can come later if people want it.

As for me:
Favorite Authors: Tom Clancy, Dan Abnett
Favorite Books: Rainbow Six, White Fang, Gaunts Ghosts series
Favorite Genre: War, Warfare, Sci-Fi, Modern, WW2.
Current Reading: Grey Hunter by William King

Bernard Cornwell's good, though to be fair I've not read alot of his work, however I know the Sharpe story as I've watched pretty much all of it. A Great series, which one day I hope to have the books too.

My Current reading at the moment is Grey Hunter from the Space Wolves BL series, which may not be as good as the Gaunts Ghosts series, but just as fun to read.

KUF: Books of TV shows, IMO, can sometimes be worse. However unlike the Sharpe series, the show comes from the books.
But reading is so much better IMO, as you get to imagine the scenes, characters, events in your head, and where TV has limitions, the imagination has none.

·
10,982 Posts
Yeah Toastee thats what I like (using my mind), but the Buffy ones are extactly the same of the TV show. eg the very last episode (great, absolutly great) after watching the episode, I went to WH Smiths and say a buffy book, so I thought lets look at that. I read a few pages and quickly realised it's exactly the same. Thay must of just modifiyed the script into a book, with very few changes. That's what I don't like, but then again I've not read all TV shows turned books so I end up liking them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey Toast is this gonna be a 40k only book club or any genre??

Either way here's my lot.

-Favorite author(s) Scott Cunningham, Gav Thrope (it's about the only thing he does well hehe)
-Favorite genre 40k novels, Occult, neo-pagan and metaphysics (wow I sound smart)
-Favorite book(s) AnamCara John O'Donohue, Kill Team Gav Thrope, Living Wicca Scott Cunningham

The most recent books i've been reading are: 'Mankind:Have a nice day' (Mankind BIO), 'Maelstrom' and The Principles and Practice of Radiesthesia. How about you guys????

·
Registered
959 Posts
book club eh, does that mean i have to look like this 8|

Favourite authors: Tolkien, Henry Treece, R.A.Salvatore, William King, Dan Abnett and Katherine Kerr
Favourite genre: fantasy
Favourite books: Lotr trilogy, gaunts ghosts, space wolf series, Viking saga- by treece a very good read and the Drizzt Do'Urden(a dark elf) series by Salvatore

current reading: just finished 'the thousand orcs' by salvatore and im waiting for the next installment in the series 'the lone drow'

recommended reads: the silmarillion, the whole Drizzt series by slavatore are excellent(set in forgotten realms) and Mel you might like the Deverry series by Katherine Kerr(set in a celtic/welsh realm).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Reccomended reads:

R.I.P.: The Complete Book Of Death And Dying by Constance Jones, very interesting actually. Anything by Edgar Aller Poe like the tell tale heart, old but dark and original classic horror. And of course i reccomend 13th legion and the sequal kill team by gav thrope. As for within my pagan collection well I doubt anyone here would be interested anyway.

Tell me about this Deverry series Carcaroth, whats it about?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mel to kind of summarise it the best i can it's about a prince who begins studying Dweomer and because of his pride he destroys three peoples lives and foolishly swears to the lords Wyrd/Destiny that he will never rest until he rights his wrongs. basically about him going through a couple of centuries and trying to bring about the fullfilment of each of these persons wyrds in their various reincarnations. kind of a love story theme cause he does it all because of one women which he wronged the most. very good book try get it from a second hand book store or something like that so if you dont like it you havent really wasted much money.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Higgo: Aye, most books tend to be alot better and have alot more in them. Just a matter of buying them all though, as Im mosty into the BL stuff at the minute =o.o=

Just finished Grey Hunter. Good book I think, but kind of leaves you hanging at the end, as just what will happen top Ragnar.
My only major niggle with Grey Hunter was that he didn't get to fight Madok all that much, or so it seemed in comparison to the 1st Space Wolf novel.

Well onto the next SW one, then I might have to report back about all four of them =^__^=

·
DING
1,740 Posts
I just finished a book called Stalingrad. About the battle of Stalingrad, its very very good. I would recommend it to anybody who has an intrest in history and the sort of depths of deprativity the human race can fall to. For example, when the German army was surrounded around Stalingrad, there was a field hospital in a quarry which was basically just caves. There where hundreds of dead and dieing germans there and it is reported that swarms of lice could be seen leaving just dead bodies and moving on mass to the next live body.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am joining.
Favorite Authors: Philip Pullman, George R. R. Martin, Tom Clancy
Favorite Books: A Storm of Swords, Mortal Engines
Favorite Genre: This is tough. Partially fantasy, but partially sort of realistic fiction. And political commentary.
Currently Reading: Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations by Al Franken

Recommended books: All three of the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (extremely explicit but AMAZING books, just don't plan on finishing fast; each is over 800 pages.)
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve: an amazing storyline, great characters, cool names, it had everything.
Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials: Simply superlative. Excellent books on every level, they follow the adventures of a girl, Lyra, and her friend, Will, through Lyra's dimension and our own. She has a compass which tells the truth called an aletheometer, he has a knife so sharp it cuts the boundaries between worlds. And there is of course an armored bear. Plus, the names are so fun to say: Svalbard. Stanislaus Grumman. Skraeling. Pantalaimon.

·
DING
1,740 Posts
The first book in the Wheel of Time is called "The Eye of the World".
It is well worth the read i can promise you, that you will not be disappointed.
I like the first of Pullman's Dark Materials books but since i am now in my final year of college i figured i only have time for study and LO.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well just finished Wolfblade, and a damn good book it is too.

The book continues on following Ragnars beginings and his time, or rather start, as a Wolfblade on Terra. But thats all I'm going to tell you on the story =^_~=

Not only is it a decent 4th book of the Ragnar novels, it gives you a great and overwhelming view and sense of what Terra is like in the 41st Century. Even if you haven't or don't want to read the Space Wolf books, I recommend this not only on how well I think its done, but also on its fluff factor.

As for the books as a whole. It continues to be a great series. Shows how the Space Wolves fight as well as live.
I look forward to seeing a 5th, as I don't think things are quite over between Ragnar and Madok...not by a long shot.

Next Reading: Fire Warrior (After playing the game, I look forward to this =^___^= )

·
10,982 Posts
So it's good toastee? Good, I've mail ordered mine (about 3 bloody weeks ago!!). I really enjoyed the last ones, and look forward to this one. Have you read the Inqusitor Wars Trilogy? or the Guant's Ghost's? If so what did you think?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.