Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a nurgle plague marine army, i'm taking almost all troops (1000pt army is the aim currently), and im taking a lot of special/heavy weapons in my squads to take care of tanks and to improve the shooting phase of the army.

The problem comes from the boxed sets and metal blisters lacking the weapons needed to make the squad selections that the codex offers. Bitzbox sells some for about $2 a weapon, ebay has them for about $.50-$1.00+$2 shipping, warstore sells them for $3.99-$4.99 a weapon. Is there any cheaper way to get the weapons i need? Some tournaments and groups arent that strict with WYSIWYG, but i want to be prepared for all possible tournaments, and the extreme of rulesets/requirements.

i really dont have any bits because i havent bought any models yet, i know some of you have boxes and boxes of extra weapons and stuff that you could convert something from that would work, i dont really have that option just yet.

I think its really incredible that they dont think give you the bits to make the squads that they give rules for. Even the basic space marines allow missile launchers, but have no missile launcher in the boxed set, and you are forced to use a havoc, or convert. I assume this is due to the fact that they can make more money from people buying blisters of models with heavy weapons, but i still find it staggering that almost no boxed set has all the bits needed.

I don't think it would be incredibly hard to make a "heavy weapons" sprue and sell it seperately or box it with all the boxed sets of marines, fill it with 2-4 of each weapon allowed for that army and sell it for a decent amount. Probably won't ever happen, but it seems incredible that they would do this kind of thing over and over again.
Any help would be great.

PS

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
Yet again, I find you using this 'brain' thing, which sadly GW delight in avoid using.

It's a pain in the bum, but that tends to be what the single blister packs are for. Alas, this is an expensive hobby >_<

While it is preferable to buy intelligently - that is, planning your army, and buying only everything you need, just because of how things come, it's almost impossible. You WILL end up with spare plasma guns, flamers, melta guns etc etc, that's just how it works.

For the heavy weapons in my squads, most of them are acrued over a period of a few months. I also did butcher some imperial guard sprues that my friends had for some lascannons and autocannons.

Maybe, you could try pooling together bits with your friends and trading that way?

Also, independant retailers often have a bits box or second hand minis. You can pick up a hideously painted dev squad for real cheap. Sure, you'll have to strip 'em and break them apart buut... beggars can't be choosers.

Good luck, and well done for choosing nurgle :D

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I do it like this. I buy 2 boxed sets of CSMs. Giving e 2 meltaguns and 2 plasma guns in total. I also uys me a pack of Devastators. That pack is Awesome. You get a crapload of beautiful weapons. With these packs you can trade bits with Space marine players. I tend to use a lot of Meltaguns, so I trade the powerfull plasmacannon and multimelta we chaosplayers can't use for some special weapons. It works great. The Devastator box also includes other nice bit's such as a P. Fist and kneeling legs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have found myself a sweet little way of acquiring special and heavy weapons for my Chaos forces. By buying the Dark Angels Veteran Squad box, you get 5 robed figures (which are easy to combine with Chaos parts to create some robed Chaos Marines!), 1 meltagun, 1 flamer, 1 plasma gun and 1 missile launcher. This particular box is also cheaper than other, larger unit boxes. You'll have to file off some Imperial symbols though, of course, but it is worth it. :)

Like Karmoon, I wish you good luck on your hunt for weapons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.