Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im debatting on getting a land raider or not. Not even sure if i want a crusader or a normal land raider, basicly the land raider would replace two dreads in my list so in theory i think its more durable but probably limited as far as taking out enemy armor.

I dislike the idea of using a 250 point vehicle to transport a 400 point terminator HQ squad, outside of the fact that it puts all my eggs in one basket it it seems like it puts it in a situation where you need to decide between using the land raider to shoot stuff or get your command squad in combat quickly.

Any ideas?

·
durus
2,578 Posts
If you know who you are plating against, and isn't Tau, Necrons, Eldar/Darkeldar, or Shooty Space Marines, by all means take a LRC. You won't even need as many Termies with your Grandmaster as they should get into battle assaulting. As a general take all comer list, less than 2000pts, I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hmm Novelizer please read the section this is in - he can't take Assault Cannon termies/Drop Pods for his HQ....

Normally I would say the Crusader slightly edges it, being more expensive put putting out an absolute TORRENT of fire. However with a Daemonhunters army we all know that Anti-Tank shooting is a problem. So in this case I'd say take a normal landy, it'll do wonders for your anti-tank shooting. But as said, firstly I'd leave it till you play about 1750 points at least, if you suspect your playing Eldar or Tau....leave it at home.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you have enough points for a LRC and 2 dreadnoughts, by all means put in the LRC. If you want to skip on the LRC, you should probably just put in the 2 dreadnoughts instead, they have more fire flexibility and a missile launcher on top of it all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
personally i think the land raider is a waste! 250pts+ for poor transport, twinlinked lascannons are better on a dread and will attract alot of fire power so its possible you will have just wasted 250pts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
C'tan said:
personally i think the land raider is a waste! 250pts+ for poor transport
An armour value 14 transport with 3 twin-linked weapons that carries terminators and you can assault straight out of counts as a poor transport? The Landraider is an excellent transport against many armies, it's just very expensive.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
I think Phoenix Guard has it about right. For anti-armor, your best buy are dreadnoughts with TLLC/ML. Two of 'em. That's the same number of TLLC shots as a LR, plus you get missiles, plus you can select two completely different targets.

You can get away with just one and a LR/LRC, I suspect, but you definitely don't want to count on your LR[C] being your only anti-armor option.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
I would forget about the LR. Land Raider Crusader only if you really wanted one, it has a decent anti infantry role.

But it is definetly a points sink. I'd rather spend 255 points elsewhere.. and just let them do some running.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
Meh, In a standard SM army LR(C) can be totally awsome but in DH......thats a different story. DH armies are already costly point wise. I really don't think we have the extra points to throw down on another massively expensive unit with on wound, specially when one lucky lascannon shot can send it up in smoke. You'll naver see that happen to a big squad of GK's which is about a similar point invesment.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I look at it like this: Landraider = Fast Attack Justicar + 8 Grey Knights, which one would be better? for me it is the FAGK squad.

·
1,256 Posts
Murekhalir said:
I would forget about the LR. Land Raider Crusader only if you really wanted one, it has a decent anti infantry role.
Who needs anti infantry in a Daemonhunters Army? My Stormbolters are anti infanrty for CC units, and my abilty to hit most things on 3s and wound them on 2s in close combat takes care of any shooty shooty infantry. The LRC is redundent in an army with GKs, now a normaly Raider, that is unseful and unique.

I say only bring the LR if you have enough points to bring a Dred as well. Two dreds can very easily die before they get to go (espically against people who infiltrate lascannons, or fire indirect battle cannons). The Land Radier can draw some of the fire and survive, (four infiltrating havoks or devastators with las cannons, cost just as much, and will probably not kill the the beast (4 shots, 3 hits, 1 glancing or penetrating hit, then it explodes at best 50% of the time and any other result is can be overcome with extra armor, or machine spirit (though not what you want to happen))

Just remember if it takes two things to kill your Land raider each of them would have easily killed a dred.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ah, the debate never dies.

I'll say this. I have a LR/LRC in my GK army but I rarely field it. Why? For 2 reasons. One, it is expensive. Two, I would only take one in a 2,000 pt game and often I instead just induct Sisters to help out.

That being said though, I would not say they are always a waste.

Let's look at the pluses:
- 14 armor all around
- The only vehicle not-opened top that you can disembark AND assault from in the same turn (up to 12")
- LR will get 2 Lascannon shots that will almost definitely hit. The LRC will pretty much mow down infantry.
- The only dedicated transport that counts as a scoring unit (correct me if I'm wrong)

The thing you have to look at is what you will be using for rather than "it's such-and such points". For example, if you just plan on using it as an anti-armor unit in you DH army I'd say pass and go with dreads instead.

However, if your main goal is to get your termies into cc ASAP the LRC is the way to go. With deploying as far as possible, the 12" movement, and extra armor there is a very good chance that it will get there even if it can't fire its weapons (crew shaken, but then again, just machine spirit). It's the closest thing you'll get to a Rhino rush in today's rules.

So if you are still wondering, proxy a LR/LRC with some other vehicle and see how it works for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts