Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is an opinion/ poll.

i have been asked fequently that how many points is enough to have a land raider or land raider crusaider.

some say in a 1000 point battle its fine, some say more than 1000 points and some even say more than 1500points.

so whats your choice and opinion?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would say nothing less than 2000, because it is still at that level, an eight of your army's points. An Eight that can be blown up in one shot too.

·
Tactical Avante-Gard
2,095 Posts
Anything over 1000pts. I consider anything less to be ludicrous. Sure I made a list including 2 at 1000pts, but it was a joke. A sick joke.

Of course, my minimum is 1750 to use one of the babies, but I tend to only use them at >2,250pts in any great degree.

·
Registered
346 Posts
id say 1500 to use one land raider, i dont think you should ever use more then one though

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I stay awa from them until big games... but in big games I use deathwing so I use 3 of them. I will use a crusader and two regualr LRs in a 3k game. In larger games, you're guranteed to get at least one up into your opponent's battle lines and he will probably forget about the LR and try to kill the cargo.

But last time I did that, 2 of my LRs (which popped smokes) got a glancing hit (1 each) and both rolls were 6's. This was ont he first turn and it was b 2 S8 noise marine weapons. A 1 in 36 chance is bad, but twice in the same turn?!?!?

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Now that I thibk about it.... i don't think I have ever used a regular landraider. However I bring my Crusader in games that are about 1500 points or more.

·
Tactical Avante-Gard
2,095 Posts
Likewise. I don't have a Dominator variant, only a Crusader (he says "only").

This day is just as I predicted it would be - Predictable!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ive taken my LRC at all points levels, depends on the army i'm going against and the commander of the army.

In small points games it is a moving firebase, do not take as a transport!
In mid point games either or can work quite well, but with there being little else on thefield to draw fire, expect to loose it early in the game.
In large games, whatever goes, there are usually more imminent threats for your enemy to take out, giving the LRC to deliver its payload and rain some fire on your opponent, but again be prepared to loose it.

Whether you want to put termies or a large tac squad in it, depends on whether you like deepstrike or drop pods to deliver your termies into the heart of the battle or not. I like to mix it up, so my opponent doesn't know if i am going to charge gun-toting and assault termies at him (gotta love those wolf guard rules!!!) or a 14 man blood claw pack with WGL or IC to control them. Either way the battlefield is normally bathed in my enemies blood!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
LR's and LRC's are a must in 3,000 + games, but I have a minimum points of use at a normal tournament points army of 1,850 to start fielding the crazed gigantic super tanks. Using them in unpredictable ways is always best.

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
As a rule, I don't field LRs in anything under 2500pts EMPTY.

I think its risking a lot if any single thing on the field is worth more than 10 to 15% of
your total force: it has a big "shoot me and blow me up" sign on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't use mine until at least 1500.

Plus theyak is right anything under 1500 just makes it a giant target. Everything will be shooting at it and you probably won't be able to do what you want with it because being shot at so heavily.:x

~Soulthief~

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've started really shying away from using them. It's entirely irrational, I managed to have it die on turn 2 to a single lucky glance (twice.) One game I managed to get a squad into close combat, but the other I just saw 500 points (1/4th of my army) pretty much go down the drain.

If you're going to field one... look at the rest of your army. Is that going to be enough for you to win, or at least draw? If you can't... don't field the landraider. Most armies -can- pop it if they try.

·
Hrimfar
525 Posts
I have only used my LR in one game ever....seriously - it's the kind of fire magnet that a maxed up space marine command squad running over a field towards a line of leeman russes would be. In my experience it's very seldom of any use at all....the only good thing is that it can draw fire away from other units - but hey, you can't afford many other units if you take a LR...

I say it's pretty useless unless someone has a really good tactic with them. Only against junior players, it works in the way of terror-warfare - it's got quite of a reputation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dingareth said:
I would say nothing less than 2000, because it is still at that level, an eight of your army's points. An Eight that can be blown up in one shot too.
Agree.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In smaller games any vehicle will take up a disproportionate amount of points. It will also act as a fire magnet because there are so few vehicles. Land Raiders have such a presence on the battle field that an appearance in a smaller game will guarantee lots of unpleasant attention to it. This may let other units escape fire but in a 1000-1500 pt game there are not too many units left after spending all those points on a land raider . Use this in smaller games at your peril.:shifty:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also dislike using LRC in games less then 1500 points. Heck, i dislike them to begin with. They use many points, seldom shot more then 2 rounds ( I mean they attract fire as much, even more so then lone ICs).

I for myself am always playing infrantry based troops, and if i have to take some anti-tank weapons, my lists don't lack them, but well, they don't hold too much of these, since at most I see 3 vehicles in a game from 1500 - 3000 points. And they are dealt with pretty fast, if they arfe not too fast themselves.

I remember when my friend started playing. He took two (!!!) LCs in a 1000 point list. You sure learn quickly if you have too expience soo much pain (both ant infantry, taken care in the first and secound turn by one dread).

·
Registered
227 Posts
man,i never use my LR....ever,wow just realised i spent a month on it and ive never battled with it,meh.

i find that the LR is just an overpriced termy delivery system some battles and an oversized predator other games.use drop pods and devastater squads,they both are more efficient at the jobs the LR does.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When properly fielded in games above 1850 pts, they are great. I'm currently not using any but I have two. I will be using a LRC once I've gotten one. It's my personal feeling that they are fire magnets, however when used as such, coupled with a CC scout squad, they have great potential. When ever a LRC hits the table most folks think Assualt Termies and poor an ungodly amount of firepower into it. This free's up the rest of the army to actually effect mission completion. The only reason I advocate including a scout squad onboard the LRC is if you can deliver the squad it hits just as hard as a tac squad for less points and its the only transport they can have.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The games I play with my friends right now are mostly 1250s. I still bring an LRC, and it performs just fine. Be timid if you want to, but a little balls once in a while really pays off.

·
Banned
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chaplain Grimm said:
The games I play with my friends right now are mostly 1250s. I still bring an LRC, and it performs just fine. Be timid if you want to, but a little balls once in a while really pays off.

i think the LRC is different for us BT players. because were assault armies, one of the best stratergies i have heard of has to be putting 7 Assault terminators and a chaplain in a LRC and go for an assault. i have that planned for my 1500 pt army... :wacko:

but i suppose i have a different perspective as i am using an assault army and the only way i can get terminators into cc really fast is by using a LR or LRC.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.