Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building up some landspeeders for a almost all bike white scars army. Using the raven wing box sets I will hope to have around 4-5 land speeders at my disposal. the only time I have ever played against them, it was two in a squadron with HF and MM. It seems like a well rounded build. before I build them up I would love to get some feedback as to that build and others (HB-HB, typhoon etc)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
IMO besides the LS storm the land speeder typhoon with a heavy bolter is the best land speeder you can get. With frag missiles being defensive weapons and being able to shoot two krak missiles a turn it can act as a mini valkyrie/vendetta type unit. It isn't as good as a valkyrie or vendetta and it can't transport guys but it costs a hell of a lot less points. It mimics the valkyrie very well actually. Multi lasers = heavy bolters and multiple rocket pods are frag missiles with a bigger blast.

Other than that i'd have to say a vanilla land speeder with a heavy bolter or multi melta, (not both, thats expensive) would be your best bet. IMO attack bkes are better and they are cheaper but others may disagree (about which is better, attack bikes cost less points than a similarly aremd speeder no matter which way you look at it).

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
502 Posts
Personally I prefer 2 x HB. Just a HF is good too. ML is appealing as already mentioned, though expensive.

Ultimately, they're too fragile to waste too many points on.

Glavas

·
Registered
173 Posts
Land Speeders

Consider buying magnets (if you don't already have them). That way, you can make the choice of weapons when you are building your list, not when you are building your model. It is easy enough to magnetize between the gun and the gunner, and the gun and the LS's chin. I find the Typhoon a little harder to magnetize, so I've used pins so they can be removed and replaced with the doors when not fielding the Typhoon pattern Land Speeder.

Cheers

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am working with what I will have after buying a bunch of raven wing box sets. I will be running some two units of bikes all meltas and a attack bike with MM. The rest of the bike units will be dakka units (flamers, and heavy bolter). After buying four boxes of raven wing I should have four land speeders. I was thinking of breaking them into two squadrons, each with their own roles. One will be a made as a tank hunter with MM/HF. I like the HF on there as it makes it a dual purpose as needed type of unit. The other squadron will be more dakka. I like the idea of a typhoon missile launcher and heavy bolter. While moving you get to use defensive weapons, but you could still use krack missiles as needed.

What do you guys think? this will be going in a 1500 to 2000 pt list

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Rather then tell you how good they are, let me show you when I pit my space wolves against any of your armies in, shall we say, 2000pts next Thurs? It was because of them that I was able to beat my last opponent at Game Kastle last week.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rather then tell you how good they are, let me show you when I pit my space wolves against any of your armies in, shall we say, 2000pts next Thurs? It was because of them that I was able to beat my last opponent at Game Kastle last week.

I would, but I have yet to build them up and actually get all of the box sets..I have some, but I will be getting more in the somewhat near future. I would say I am afraid, but alas I am not...I need to see about thursday, I may have to work the night shift. I will let you know...

Other than post pleasantries, what do people think about those two builds? In a bike army that is.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Under 4th ed I used to use the AC/HB combo loads but since AC have gone up in cost and down in power I've seen little point. I have taken to using the Typhoon varient and can't praise it enough. 2-3 in a small force is cheap for what they do plus they have the range to keep out of harms way and the mobility to find their targets.

When making a high mobility bikers orientated force they have worked very well as they compliment what the bikes carry. MM and MG in the bike squads for heavy infantry/tank hunting whilst the Typhoons go heavy/light infantry hunting. Especially good at instakilling str4 stuff like Tau crisis suits or taking down MC's

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've always thought Landspeeders best use is to fill in gaps in your army. If you have lots of heavy anti-infantry firepower - take a MultiMelta Speeder, if you have lots of heavy anti-armour firepower take Heavy Bolter or Heavy Flamer builds. Assault cannons and Typhoon Missile Launchers are great but too expensive for Land Speeders - they're too fragile to last very long.

·
1,900 Posts
Typhoon Missile Launchers are great but too expensive for Land Spdders - they're too fragile to last very long.

Just one point for all to consider in this thread re: Typhoons. They shoot 48". If you are getting shot at by small arms fire you are probably doing something wrong! In my experiance (for what it's worth) I've only lost Typhoons to stuff that can at least match its range. Don't mind that as it means those valuable, high strength (usually AT stuff) shots aren't shooting at more important stuff in my army.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Typhoon load out does seam to be the most versatile in my eyes. What about HB/HB? I am in love with HBs. STR 5 and a fair number of shots. Whats not to love about them. I could see two land speeders kitted out with HB's hunting down things like...a daemon prince...That turns into, "Oh, sorry you can't lash my speeders, dude. They are vehicles. Ok, I wound 4+. Make your saves." Twelve shots with good strength, I could see that filling in the heavy infantry killing role in an army.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too like the HB/HB loadout and take a pair of speeders in a squadron this way figuring if one gets immobilized i still have a 36" kill zone around them

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
I too like the HB/HB loadout and take a pair of speeders in a squadron this way figuring if one gets immobilized i still have a 36" kill zone around them
If a vehicle in a squadron gets immobilized it counts as destroyed. Page 64 in the big rulebook.

---

On topic: I completely agree with And Justice For All.
Unfortunately I can't elaborate on this as thoroughly as I'd like because of time pressure, but you want your landspeeders to deal death from a distance to make them much more survivable.
And on a general note: landspeeders definitely need cover. Very important, and very frustrating for your opponent.

I used the landspeeder tornado with twin heavy bolters a lot and it works well and is cheap.
But the typhoon is much more effective at destroying light vehicles and MEQ without having any drawbacks save its higher cost. Remember that you can move full 12" and shoot the heavy bolter AND the missile launchers if you use frag missiles (S4 -> defensive weapon -> yay!). The typhoon missile launcher also helps being able to shoot over cover, since weapons mounted under the landspeeder's hull are easily blocked in their LOS.
Other landspeeder loadouts have not worked out well for me in 5th edition.

So typhoon all the way, unless you definitely can't afford it. I have continually increased the number of typhoon speeders in my army until today I fought my first battle at maximum: nine landspeeders typhoon, using up more than half my army points. And it works!

·
Registered
502 Posts
If a vehicle in a squadron gets immobilized it counts as destroyed. Page 64 in the big rulebook.

---

On topic: I completely agree with And Justice For All.
Unfortunately I can't elaborate on this as thoroughly as I'd like because of time pressure, but you want your landspeeders to deal death from a distance to make them much more survivable.
And on a general note: landspeeders definitely need cover. Very important, and very frustrating for your opponent.

I used the landspeeder tornado with twin heavy bolters a lot and it works well and is cheap.
But the typhoon is much more effective at destroying light vehicles and MEQ without having any drawbacks save its higher cost. Remember that you can move full 12" and shoot the heavy bolter AND the missile launchers if you use frag missiles (S4 -> defensive weapon -> yay!). The typhoon missile launcher also helps being able to shoot over cover, since weapons mounted under the landspeeder's hull are easily blocked in their LOS.
Other landspeeder loadouts have not worked out well for me in 5th edition.

So typhoon all the way, unless you definitely can't afford it. I have continually increased the number of typhoon speeders in my army until today I fought my first battle at maximum: nine landspeeders typhoon, using up more than half my army points. And it works!
A heavy bolter is S5. So therefore not a defensive weapon.

Glavas

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
except he ment that the heavy bolter was the 1 non-defensive weapon and frag missles at S4 are defensive so both can be fired

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Land speeders seem to be very versatile. You can build them up to tank hunt, kill infantry, or be a Swiss army knife that you use as is needed. One of my buddies was talking about using two Land Speeders as a retinue of sorts for a drednought. He claims that the two work very well together.

·
1,900 Posts

I would love to have seen that. ;-)

I'm just putting a 2000pts army v Tau, together and wanting to put a Callidus Assasin in. Some may think I'm nuts but I have a cunning plan. Problem is I have to drop something from my list. I had thought about my LS Tyhoons! Having slapped myself for being stupid at thinking that it'll be something else. That is how much I value them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.