Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lascannons can punch through every armor save there is and cause instant death to some models... Now wouldn't that mean they are perfect for sniping commanders and the like? Or can you take invulnerable saves against instant death?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can take Invulnerable saves against Instant Death. That's why they're 'invulnerable.' But the question is how to get them in the open in the first place.

Ummm... Last time I checked, Instant Death has nothing to do with what kinda saves are allowed. I just want o make sure that the OP knows that AP is the only thing that denies armor saves.

I can't seem to figure out why quite a few people come to the conclusion that Instant Death means you get no Armor Save...
:?

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Well, I mean, if you haven't really studied the rules yet, and someone just told you "Weapons with blah the model's toughness cause Instant Death" you could easily assume that when a hit is scored with such a weapon... well... the model instantly dies! Friend of mine thought you didn't even have to roll to wound for a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyway, I checked the rules for Instant Death, and there was nothing about invulnerable saves. I guess that means that you can't save against Instant Death, but you still need to roll to hit/wound?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Anyway, I checked the rules for Instant Death, and there was nothing about invulnerable saves. I guess that means that you can't save against Instant Death, but you still need to roll to hit/wound?

Gonna help ya out here. The only thing that affects whether you get a save is the Armor Penetration (AP) of the weapon (pg24 of the rulebook). The only thing that Instant Death does, is that if a model takes an unsaved wound, and the weapon's strength is at least twice the model's toughness, then the model will die instead of taking just one wound.

NOTE: Instant Death means nothing to single wound models. It only comes into play when a model has more than one wound to lose.

Let's do an example:

A Broadside (which has two wounds) is shot with a krak missile. It hits and wounds (with the appropriate rolls). Since the AP of the weapon is AP3, the Broadside still gets his 2+ armor save. He fails his save. But instead of doing just one wound, Instant Death occurs because the weapon's S8 and he is only T4!

Another example:

A Librarian in Terminator armor is hit with a Lascannon. It hits and wounds (with the appropriate rolls). Since the weapon is AP2, he gets no armor save, but he gets his 5+ invulnerable save. He fails that save, and dies from Instant Death, because the gun is S9 and he is only T4...

Is this helping any?;Y

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Ummm... Last time I checked, Instant Death has nothing to do with what kinda saves are allowed. I just want o make sure that the OP knows that AP is the only thing that denies armor saves.

I can't seem to figure out why quite a few people come to the conclusion that Instant Death means you get no Armor Save...
:?
My mistake. It's not that I think that all ID weapons ignore armor, it's just that in practice, I come across a lot of weapons that cause my models ID and also don't permit me a normal armor save. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
A good example of weapons that may cause instant death (ie they are very high strength) are tyranid ones. 8+ strength but the ap is quite bad, so quite a lot of things still get their saves.

It caused me a bit of confusion when I first started as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts