• Yes, you need to 'hit' the unit first

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it goes off as it says in Codex, ld test only

Votes: 4 100.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bunch of the guys I play with reckong this is FAQ'd as needing 'to hit' before it works, I can find nothing to this effect in the FAQ's regarding the power at all, unless it's specifically a 'psychic shooting attack' which tbh those words are not used, it is used in the shooting phase granted, but nowhere does it state it is a 'psychic shooting attack'.

Anyone? Roll 'to hit' or not?

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my opinion you don't need to hit with it, if you needed to hit with it then it would say in the codex
'Pick any non-vehicle enemy unit visible to the psyker and within 24", and then take a psychic test in order to use the power. If successfull, the target is moved 2D6" by the chaos player'
to me this bascily means you don't need to hit as other spells that are ranged say you need to roll to hit and wound as normal ie the bolt of change
'Bolt of change may be used in the model's shooting phase instead of another ranged weapon. If the psychic test is successful Bolt of changhe counts as a weaponn with the following profile (roll to hit and wound as normal)

I've never rolled to hit with this and all the players i've used it against have never told me that i needed to roll to hti with it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't have the book in front of me, but it only really matters if the power says its a Psychic Shooting Attack.

If it does then you must roll to hit, as per that FAQ. If not, don't worry about it.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
The rules just declare it as a psychic power which is used in the Shooting Phase instead of using another ranged weapon. You are told to pick a unit visible to the psyker, do the necessary in order to be able to use a psychic power and if all goes well you can use the power's ability.

It is not an actual shooting attack as there is no strength, AP or rate of fire involved (compare Doombolt, for example), therefore it does not require any roll to hit. The reason Lash's rules say "instead of using another ranged weapon" is to prevent someone from also firing their actual ranged weapon (combi-bolter, twin-linked bolter or whatever) as this would effectively mean that they had "fired" two weapons in the same Shooting Phase. This is disallowed by the rules unless certain conditions are met (Monstrous Creatures, specified rules in the Codex entry or the like).

Just pick your intended target, do the needful with the dice and enjoy the results! :p

E.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, according the people I play with it's been FAQ'd as needing a to hit roll, but I couldn't see anything specific and you all agree with me. Rep to all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
they are prob only saying that as they dont like it and using a to hit dice gives a chance that it wont work. thus helping them :p and making you weeker so that you are easy're to beat and they dont have to worry about their troops being moved from charging or being moved into a pie plate or 7 sonic masters :D (which is allwys nice muhaha)

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
The Daemons version of the power is different.

In the Chaos Marine book, it is a Psychic power, wheras in the Daemons book, the equivilent (Pavane of Slaanesh) is a shooting attack (Amongst a few other differences). Do not get the two mixed up.

Chaos Marines Lash does not need to roll to hit, Chaos Daemons Pavane does.

~Lawman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rep to you, thanks for pointing that out, as I don't have Daemons codex due to not having a Daemon army nor wishing to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On a similar note, I've also had Daemons players advise me on the Gift of Chaos psychich power, where they had assumed it worked like Boon of Mutation (which it doesn't, as this is another shooting attack with roll to hit).

The thing Daemon players tend to forget is that we mortals require a psychic test to activate our powers, whereas theirs are more abilities or wargear and work for free. In the case of Lash or Gift, this does give the opponent some form of mild protection against our powers.

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Rep to you, thanks for pointing that out, as I don't have Daemons codex due to not having a Daemon army nor wishing to.
You are most welcome. I tend to find Daemons Players make this assumption alot, that our powers work the same as theirs. I must say, I kind of wish they did. But alas, we must stay by our Psychic Checks (And thus, the enmies chance of stopping them with Psychic Hoods, etc).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A note to put this to bed, once shown the rules and the FAQ everyone now agrees with me, LoS doesn't need 'to hit', Yaay. It now works as intended. Just a shame it didn't save us from a trouncing at the hands of a combined SoB/Templar force. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts